Coventry City Hotel
US$87
US$88
US$78
Great 4.5/5
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 March 2012

It is very nice experience to stay in this hotel (or hostel). Before I went to, I expected the small hostel with dirty bathroom, but it is over my expectation. The bedroom is quite well, It is enough for 2 of my friends and I sharing together. The bathrooms and toilets are quite new and clean.

I really recommend this hotel for young or budgets travelers.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Coventry City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Thank you for your very kind words. I have shared your feedback about clean bathrooms with housekeeping department. My team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. We look forward to welcoming you back. Kind regards, Joanna/ General Manager.

An Accor traveller
hereford
Reviewed 22 February 2012

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

An Accor traveller
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2012

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Coventry City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Reviewed 6 February 2012

The only reason I'm giving this place two stars is because you can't expect much for the price. However, even a budget hotel should be clean, and this wasn't even that.

The positives: the staff were all incredibly friendly and kind, and we didn't have any problems checking on or with breakfast. Also, the location is pretty good as far as access to the city goes, and we did feel safe while staying there.

The rest, unfortunately, is bad.

It started when we walked from the bus station and spent twenty minutes wandering before we called and were told that we had to check in at the Ibis Hotel next door. Would have been a nice thing to know, yes?

Our room was ugly and lit with only a fluorescent light, but again we didn't expect much. What we did expect, however, was cleanliness; from the disgusting dripping stain on the wall to the musty-smelling bedspread I'm not sure we got even that.

Let me include this fact, for what it's worth: my husband and I are life-long budget travelers. We're not picky, and we don't ask for much when we pay so little... but even I couldn't give this place a good rating.

I will say that breakfast was adequate, and the food offered in the cafe throughout the rest of the day was ok (if you're in a hurry) and fairly priced.

But the toilets and the showers? Disgusting. The toilets didn't even have a wastebasket in them, and were typically awful-smelling and/or clogged. The showers all had hair all over them, and are the kind where you push the button for the water and get 30 seconds before it turns off. Again, typical budget hotel, but at least keep 'em clean.

If you can find anywhere else to stay in Coventry, please do. This place will do in a pinch, as it's a safe place to stay for cheap, but if you have options this should be the last of them.

Room Tip: Ask for one far from the bathrooms, as you'll get less traffic in front of your door that way.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay with us. We are looking into the quality of linen and painting of the bedroom walls that you mentioned. Please, let me kindly notice that there is a sign at the main entrance to Formule 1 hotel informing that the guests need to check-in at the reception of adjacent ibis hotel. Unfortunately in UK Formule 1 reception desks are always located in ibis. I am very sorry that you have not found the communal bathrooms up to the cleaning standard we would expect. I am very sorry that we dissapointed you on this occassion. I will look into this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me next time you are in Coventry so that I can offer you upgrade to ibis hotel next door. Kind regards, Joanna/ General Manager.

Reviewed 22 January 2012

The heater in the first room we got put in was broken, they moved us and put us in a room already occupied. We were eventually put into a vacant room. However we left the key card in the new room. I went to reception were they said the room had no one in it. Eventually got back into the room after what was a rude encounter with the receptionist and night security. The toilets and showers are self cleaned, ye right they smelt disgusting. Basic hygiene is disregarded here. The housekeeping made the beds in the morning but some sheets were dirty (not washed properly). To be honest this place should be shut down, No joke from what others I stayed with said, it a public brothels.

Room Tip: Don't stay there END OF!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

I am really sorry to hear that your stay wasn’t up to expectations. I would very much like to
discuss with you in person. Please could you contact me on h2793-gm@accor.com. Joanna/ General Manager.