“Avoid!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coventry City Hotel

Coventry City Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Coventry
Coventry City Hotel
Ranked #37 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
“Avoid!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

I can only sum this dump up as a Knocking Shop.
Truly awful and facilities -horrific. Communal showers filthy and not all working.Walking the corridors in search of a shower was a shock.
If u want male company be my guest.....
Not for me.

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank Helenflute1
, General Manager at Coventry City Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. We treat all comments with the utmost seriousness and will be investigating the matter accordingly. Kind regards, Joanna/ General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

It turns out this hostel is owned by the Ibis (nearby)
It was very difficult to find how we were meant to get into the hostel, or check-in.
Finally we went over to the Ibis to ask and it happened to be there, they gave us a key- didnt tell us where exactly our room was. As we were trying to enter the building, some boys stopped us and said 'wouldn't stay there is a s*** hole' so as I'm sure you can understand we were already not expecting great things. We eventually found our room (no sign posts) on the second floor.
The showers and toilets were supposedly 'self cleaning' so it was hard to tell what the liquid on the bathroom floor was - I hopped water from its 'self clean' the were little black hairs all over the toilet rooms and showers - it seems to be in every room.
our room itself seemed clean. There were no communal areas or facilities for tea or coffee.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Coventry City Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay. I have shared your comments with Housekeeping department. I am glad that you found the bedroom cleanliness meeting your expectations. However, the standard of communal bathroom cleanliess strongly depends on the guests using it during the evening. The same Housekeeping team cleans the bedrooms as well as bathrooms and I can assure you that they are cleaned to the same standard daily. Let me inform you that all the the directions to the bedrooms are located on each corridor and that there is information displayed at the front entrance of Formule 1 Hotel that the check-in is done at ibis reception located seconds away. I am sorry that you did not notice these. All Formule 1 guests are very welcome to use ibis hotel restaurant and all bar as well as other public areas facilities. Kind regards, Joanna/ General Manager.
Name]
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

I've not been in prison before but I imagine this is what Formule 1 model their hotels on. On the plus side its cheap but that is the only good thing going for this place. I ended up here because everywhere else was full but I wish I'd taken the alternative of a 4am start for my meeting. The rooms are small and the previous occupants had taken the trouble to remove the window locks enabling them to smoke in the room which meant it stank like a pub used to. There was what I hope were sick stains on the floor near the sink and the walls were grubby and marked. The bed was very hard and also smelt dank. The shared showers and toilets 'self clean' which meant that there were pubes all over the floor and mildew on the walls. Please don't think I exaggerating, when I say this place really is hell on earth!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 186273Matski98
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Coventry City Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Thank you for your comments. We can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will
be dealt with accordingly. I believe you have also contacted me via e-mail to which I have responded promptly. Again, thank you for your feedback. Kind regards, Joanna/ General Manager.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

It is very nice experience to stay in this hotel (or hostel). Before I went to, I expected the small hostel with dirty bathroom, but it is over my expectation. The bedroom is quite well, It is enough for 2 of my friends and I sharing together. The bathrooms and toilets are quite new and clean.

I really recommend this hotel for young or budgets travelers.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Coventry City Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Thank you for your very kind words. I have shared your feedback about clean bathrooms with housekeeping department. My team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. We look forward to welcoming you back. Kind regards, Joanna/ General Manager.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

The only reason I'm giving this place two stars is because you can't expect much for the price. However, even a budget hotel should be clean, and this wasn't even that.

The positives: the staff were all incredibly friendly and kind, and we didn't have any problems checking on or with breakfast. Also, the location is pretty good as far as access to the city goes, and we did feel safe while staying there.

The rest, unfortunately, is bad.

It started when we walked from the bus station and spent twenty minutes wandering before we called and were told that we had to check in at the Ibis Hotel next door. Would have been a nice thing to know, yes?

Our room was ugly and lit with only a fluorescent light, but again we didn't expect much. What we did expect, however, was cleanliness; from the disgusting dripping stain on the wall to the musty-smelling bedspread I'm not sure we got even that.

Let me include this fact, for what it's worth: my husband and I are life-long budget travelers. We're not picky, and we don't ask for much when we pay so little... but even I couldn't give this place a good rating.

I will say that breakfast was adequate, and the food offered in the cafe throughout the rest of the day was ok (if you're in a hurry) and fairly priced.

But the toilets and the showers? Disgusting. The toilets didn't even have a wastebasket in them, and were typically awful-smelling and/or clogged. The showers all had hair all over them, and are the kind where you push the button for the water and get 30 seconds before it turns off. Again, typical budget hotel, but at least keep 'em clean.

If you can find anywhere else to stay in Coventry, please do. This place will do in a pinch, as it's a safe place to stay for cheap, but if you have options this should be the last of them.

Room Tip: Ask for one far from the bathrooms, as you'll get less traffic in front of your door that way.