“Christmas party”

Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Christmas party”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have been here twice before for the Christmas meal and disco. Always enjoyed it, food good and brilliant atmosphere. This year so disappointing! Packed in like sardines, people could not eat their food so went outside the room to eat. Response by management about ridiculous lack of space was unbelievably arrogant and dismissive. "That's the way it is" !!!!! REALLY?
Overall, starter and pudding good, main meal so-so; atmosphere not as good as last year; disco disappointing; bed and breakfast very good (shower could work better).
Would I go again? I might - based on the previous experiences. Hopefully this was a one off!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Coventry M6, Junction 2, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Elaine G,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased that you returned to the hotel, however, I am sorry that your stay this time was not as enjoyable and brilliant as your previous visit. I apologize for the unsatisfactory response you received from the hotel management. We want our guest to have a pleasant and professional experience when interacting with our team members. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future and provide you with the service you deserve and expect from us.

Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Nuneaton
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

Room- clean and well presented.

Health club- small but a lovely extra to any hotel.

Christmas partyb meal - starter and desert were lovely. Main course was a bit like a frozen microwave meal.

Breakfast- no complains everything was lovely.

Would I stay again- most definitely

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Coventry M6, Junction 2, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Ladyvikii,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative of your comments about your room accommodations. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge their good stay.

I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I would rate this hotel between "average" and "Very good". Stayed for three nights while on business in the area. I usually use Holiday Inns as I collect the points and I got a pretty good rate by booking ahead.
The location is OK, near the motorway. There's nothing much nearby although there's a supermarket, a cinema and a couple of chain restaurants near that. You can walk there, but the road system isn't really designed for pedestrians so crossing the dual-carriageway can be a bit hair-raising.
There was a function in full swing when I checked in, so that meant having to run the gauntlet of smokers outside the entrance and there was a fair bit of over-excited shouting going on till quite late.
The reception staff were friendly, but I found the bar staff a little terse. Also, it looks a bit bad when you can hear the cleaning staff having a good moan about something in the corridor (even though they weren't English speaking, I could tell they weren't too happy about something!)
Having said that, the bedroom and the public areas were very clean and well cared for. The sound insulation wasn't that great and it's a bit off-putting when you can hear someone in the room above using the toilet (!)
I didn't use the restaurant and I didn't pay extra for breakfast - I just want a bowl of cereal and a cup of tea. They had football on the TV in the bar in the evenings, but I found the prices pretty steep - (Pint of Guinness £4, single expresso - £2.40)
So overall some good points, some not so good. I would stay again though.

Room Tip: Upper level is probably better regarding sound insulation
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Darren C, General Manager at Holiday Inn - Coventry M6, Junction 2, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear RichieRock,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We do value all the comments made good and bad. We are glad you found our reception staff friendly we do pride ourselves on our customer service, and that your room was clean and comfortable. The noise levels can get a little louder than usual especially at this time of year ,but we are glad to hear that on the whole your stay was a pleasant one.
Again thank you for your comments we will be passing these on as these will help to make improvements to the service we offer.

Blackpool
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

2nd stay at this hotel on a overnight visit and found the staff friendly in the most only 2 drawbacks on this visit one was that there was a function going on and when we came in at night for a quiet drink it was not possible the other thing was the batman was very rude to me , when pouring my drink I noticed the rim of the glass had marks on when I told him he just snapped and said well it has been through the glass wash like all the others so this is the reason this review is not as good as you would expect

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Darren C, General Manager at Holiday Inn - Coventry M6, Junction 2, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear grumpylynne,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
We are sorry to hear that your experience with us was not what you would have expected.
We are approaching our busy period so there is always a few more people in the hotel on these nights, but I can assure you that this is not how our staff behave and can only apologize if you felt that our team were not as responsive as they should have been. I will be speaking to the manager and passing on your comments.

Again please accept our apologizes and we hope to see you again soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Much the same as last time. Rooms and corridors are old and the building a bit stuck in the 70s. Public areas are all spruced up (my recent experience of the brand is that they have put money into reception, restaurants and bars but not rooms).

Despite my room service experience last time I did decide to eat in the restaurant and had decent value 3 course carvery. Hate the cheek of 10% service charge being added. Breakfast was also quite good.

Wifi is now free (-: and it works well. No upgrade this time as hotel was full.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Tracy M, General Manager at Holiday Inn - Coventry M6, Junction 2, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Sleep007,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We apologize if you feel we have fallen short on your last visit , but you will be pleased to hear that we are now in the process of sprucing up the corridors and rooms, so the next time you visit you will be able to see the improvement being made. I am glad to hear that you decided to eat in the restaurant and that your meal was good value for money and you enjoyed it. We are also pleased that you enjoyed our free wifi service and that this improved your stay with us.
Again thank you for your comments, we appreciate all our reviews.
We hope we have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Halifax
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This is the second time i have stayed here on business, the first stay was in a room on the first floor, the room was clean with everything you'd expect, hairdryer, iron & ironing board, bottled water and the added bonus of a chocolate biscuit, however, on my most recent stay I was allocated a room on the ground floor, this time i was sorely disappointed, the room wasn't clean (dirty tissue actually in the bath), there was no hairdryer, no iron or ironing board and none of the added extras. The furniture itself was extremely tired.I would not choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, request a first floor room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sezyjay
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Coventry M6, Junction 2, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Sezyjay,

Thank you for your review. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am certainly disappointed we fell short of your expectations this particular day. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering a world class experience. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Again, many thanks for the feedback and our apologies for the shortfalls.

Connie D