“Overnight stay”

Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
United Kingdom
“Overnight stay”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Unfortunately on check I was given the wrong time for last hour of breakfast. Fortunately we were still allowed cooked breakfast.
It was Christmas Day there were a few groups eating lunch. Very busy entrance.parking adequate.security fair.No nice views.

Room Tip: The hotel is tucked in between the gym and a shop. Good just for overnight.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We had a party of six family & friends booked in Traders Restaurant for the New Years Eve party, and had booked accommodation. On check -in my wife and I found the gentleman who checked us in to be very efficient and made the effort so our party were given rooms adjacent to each other. It's been 15 years since I last stayed in this hotel, in those day's it was a Post House hotel. Our bedroom was very clean on the lower ground floor, only niggle the TV kept losing it's signal, but we weren't going to spend much time watching TV. There were two functions for the New Years eve parties, and everyone congregated in the main bar before moving to their various venues, so you can imagine there was a bit of a rugby scrum at the bar, but I have to say we got served reasonably quickly.
I thought it was very good to find the Restaurant Manager going around the groups and directing them into the various functions and members of staff showing you to your table. I could not fault the meal, or the service, the Restaurant Manager had the waiting staff working together as a well oiled machine, and all courses were served very efficiently. If I had to nit-pick not a great selection at the bar for certain spirits (no Martel Brandy).
We retired to our bed around 01.40 and were really pleased to say we were not disturbed with any noise from the rest of the hotel.
I was really pleased to find as it was New Years day check out was 13.00 and breakfast was served till 12.00. The breakfast was excellent, with a great choice for all tastes. The waiting staff were very efficient, and I have to complement the young waiter who was serving on the bar the previous night, and didn't finish until 04.30 who was working on breakfast and had such a happy outlook.
Overall I was really impressed with this hotel, and I compliment the Management, who must be very good at motivating the staff. Hopefully will return again to celebrate New Year later in the year.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Darren C, General Manager at Holiday Inn - Coventry M6, Junction 2, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear GeoffL,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so pleased that your New Year Party was a great success. We pride ourselves on giving the best services possible and we are pleased that we met with your expectations. Our reception and restaurant teams are only too happy to hear from satisfied guests so I will be sure to pass on your comments to the teams.

Happy New Year

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I was obliged to endure this place twice over the festive period and originally thought it should be great value for money. How wrong I was. Whilst the place looked the part they clearly have a "pack em in, sell it cheap" approach with staff who I could only describe as disinterested. Whilst waiting to go into the main room we decided to see if we could get a drink only to find only 3 staff working behind the bar which meant a 15 minute wait. Once we got to the bar the over-priced beer was literally undrinkable. I changed it only to find it exactly the same. The staff member agreed it was horrible and said it was always like that. No remedy was offered nor were my concerns treated as a surprise. These people were, in my opinion, clearly accustomed to complaints and didn't appear to at all upset by it.

We were crammed in on our table which made it a bit claustrophobic. The food was just about edible but certainly not befitting the Holiday Inn brand. The disco was nothing short of fantastic and helped us make something of the night. Credit where credit is due!

As I mentioned I actually went twice with 2 different groups and the experience was exactly the same on my second visit. I had the same wait at the bar, the same undrinkable beer, the same disinterested staff and below par food. It might be cheap but apart from the environment and the entertainment it certainly isn't good value.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Darren C, General Manager at Holiday Inn - Coventry M6, Junction 2, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear PeteH14,

Thank you for your comments regarding the christmas parties you attended. Whilst our parties were very successful and a lot of positive comments were received, I do appreciate that on this occasion the expectations were not met by the hotel on both occasions. As the new general manager for the hotel I have taken on board all of your comments and these will be addressed and dealt with in time for next years party season.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused to you and any members of your party.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have been here twice before for the Christmas meal and disco. Always enjoyed it, food good and brilliant atmosphere. This year so disappointing! Packed in like sardines, people could not eat their food so went outside the room to eat. Response by management about ridiculous lack of space was unbelievably arrogant and dismissive. "That's the way it is" !!!!! REALLY?
Overall, starter and pudding good, main meal so-so; atmosphere not as good as last year; disco disappointing; bed and breakfast very good (shower could work better).
Would I go again? I might - based on the previous experiences. Hopefully this was a one off!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Coventry M6, Junction 2, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Elaine G,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased that you returned to the hotel, however, I am sorry that your stay this time was not as enjoyable and brilliant as your previous visit. I apologize for the unsatisfactory response you received from the hotel management. We want our guest to have a pleasant and professional experience when interacting with our team members. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future and provide you with the service you deserve and expect from us.

Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Nuneaton
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

Room- clean and well presented.

Health club- small but a lovely extra to any hotel.

Christmas partyb meal - starter and desert were lovely. Main course was a bit like a frozen microwave meal.

Breakfast- no complains everything was lovely.

Would I stay again- most definitely

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Coventry M6, Junction 2, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Ladyvikii,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative of your comments about your room accommodations. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge their good stay.

I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I would rate this hotel between "average" and "Very good". Stayed for three nights while on business in the area. I usually use Holiday Inns as I collect the points and I got a pretty good rate by booking ahead.
The location is OK, near the motorway. There's nothing much nearby although there's a supermarket, a cinema and a couple of chain restaurants near that. You can walk there, but the road system isn't really designed for pedestrians so crossing the dual-carriageway can be a bit hair-raising.
There was a function in full swing when I checked in, so that meant having to run the gauntlet of smokers outside the entrance and there was a fair bit of over-excited shouting going on till quite late.
The reception staff were friendly, but I found the bar staff a little terse. Also, it looks a bit bad when you can hear the cleaning staff having a good moan about something in the corridor (even though they weren't English speaking, I could tell they weren't too happy about something!)
Having said that, the bedroom and the public areas were very clean and well cared for. The sound insulation wasn't that great and it's a bit off-putting when you can hear someone in the room above using the toilet (!)
I didn't use the restaurant and I didn't pay extra for breakfast - I just want a bowl of cereal and a cup of tea. They had football on the TV in the bar in the evenings, but I found the prices pretty steep - (Pint of Guinness £4, single expresso - £2.40)
So overall some good points, some not so good. I would stay again though.

Room Tip: Upper level is probably better regarding sound insulation
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Darren C, General Manager at Holiday Inn - Coventry M6, Junction 2, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear RichieRock,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We do value all the comments made good and bad. We are glad you found our reception staff friendly we do pride ourselves on our customer service, and that your room was clean and comfortable. The noise levels can get a little louder than usual especially at this time of year ,but we are glad to hear that on the whole your stay was a pleasant one.
Again thank you for your comments we will be passing these on as these will help to make improvements to the service we offer.

Blackpool
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

2nd stay at this hotel on a overnight visit and found the staff friendly in the most only 2 drawbacks on this visit one was that there was a function going on and when we came in at night for a quiet drink it was not possible the other thing was the batman was very rude to me , when pouring my drink I noticed the rim of the glass had marks on when I told him he just snapped and said well it has been through the glass wash like all the others so this is the reason this review is not as good as you would expect

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Darren C, General Manager at Holiday Inn - Coventry M6, Junction 2, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear grumpylynne,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
We are sorry to hear that your experience with us was not what you would have expected.
We are approaching our busy period so there is always a few more people in the hotel on these nights, but I can assure you that this is not how our staff behave and can only apologize if you felt that our team were not as responsive as they should have been. I will be speaking to the manager and passing on your comments.

Again please accept our apologizes and we hope to see you again soon.