“Best hotel in Coventry with great staff”

Holiday Inn - Coventry M6, Junction 2
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 10 May 2009

Great hotel with warm and friendly staff...........................................

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank marko0767

Reviewed 21 February 2009

This was our second stay at this hotel. The hotel is easy to find, being close to the M6 but has a semi-rural feel with genorous grounds to the rear that are populated by rabbits. The location is also ideal for visiting the Ricoh Arena for those that might want to stay over after a football match or concert.
Although the family room was not as big as some we have stayed in, it was nonetheless comfortable. Any minor problems we encountered were dealt with quickly and efficiently. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of our evening meal on our first night (included with the great value weekend package). The staff were helpful and friendly. The leisure facilities were accessible and ideal for family use and include floating toys for the kids. The decor in some areas of the hotel are looking a little tired but don't let that put you off.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank HappyTravellers014
Reviewed 20 December 2008

Having had a poor experience in the Hilton Coventry I thought I would give the Holiday Inn a go.

The hotel itself is fine, but just like the Hilton is let down by the couldn’t care less attitude of some of the staff.

The hotel is fairly easy to find, and has large car park with plenty of space. The reception area is very smart and quite welcoming. I was checked in fairly quickly and was asked whether I would like to book a table in the restaurant. I confirmed that 8.00pm would be fine.

I then went off to my room, which I found very comfortable and fairly new. This is certainly more well maintained than some other Holiday Inn’s and would be fine for a few days. I also used the swimming pool and facilities which again were clean, tidy and really enjoyable.

The problem came when I went for dinner. I arrived at 8.00 to be greeted by a lady who looked up and down a list to find my room number wasn’t there. She walked away without saying a word to call over a man who I assume was the restaurant manager. He simply said “sorry were very busy tonight come back at 9.00”. I explained that I booked in at reception, to which he said he had no record! He told me it was quicker to order room service. What was annoying was that there were loads of empty tables so what was going on? I was so tiered I just could not face the argument, so went back to my room and ordered room service which took 50minutes to arrive. Overall very poor.

Breakfast the next day was better organised and was the standard Holiday Inn fare.

Overall this hotel is fine but the service is lacking. I would have rated this as 4 if the service had been OK. If you must stay here eat out!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank graemeboro
Reviewed 25 April 2008

I arrived at the Hotel expecting a low quality service and a noisey experience. To my delight once inside the drone of the traffic disapears and you enter a clean hotel which is staffed by proffessional & helpful people (they really make this place). The room was clean and spacious with all facilities available. My only negative was the evening food, where I think that basically they have tried too hard and as a result under-performed, on the flip-side the breakfast was fantastic.
This is not the Hilton Hotel, but is a delightful place to stay all the same & I would have no troubles in re-visiting in the future.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank Guestnumber123
Reviewed 1 October 2007

Stay for one night. Booked online in advance for £37 per room per night.

From the outside the hotel is nothing to look at but once inside the reception area is bright, modern and clean. Staff on reception were polite and friendly though there was a slight confusion as there were
2 M Smiths booked in!

The room was slightly smaller than average but with a modern decor, it was clean and the bed very comfy. The bathroom was also clean with
a powerful shower over a bath.

On the Saturday afternoon my husband wanted to watch the Rugby, there
was no problem putting this on in the bar area and afterwards people were catching up on the football. Bar prices were average.

We didn't have breakfast the next morning but wanted a fresh coffee from the coffee shop - unfortunately this did not open until 11am.

There is a gym and swimming pool attached to the hotel I'm not sure if this is included in the cost of your stay - worth checking out?

There is a reasonable play area for children with two climbing sections one for about 5 and under and one for slightly older children - I'm sure my 5 year old would have enjoyed it if he'd been with us!

My only complaint would be that the chamber maid knocked on the door at 9am. OK we did not put out the do not disturb sign but we were checking out that morning so reception would have told her if we had checked out and the room was ready to change!

On the whole not a bad hotel, clean, modern, friendly staff. I would stay here again though not if it was over £50 per room per night as I know the rates vary so much depending if there are events on in the
surrounding areas.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2007

It must be a different Hotel? Looking at the previous Reviews, I can honestly say that our experience of this Hotel was absolutely perfect.

We had to stay at the Hotel for nearly 2 weeks due to a very sensitive personal issue, which is quite a long time to stay at any Hotel when you are not used to it.

On check in we were delighted to note that there was a designated Priority Club Check in. Normally you do not see that at Hotels, and my Partner ALWAYS complains about it being a Platinum Ambassador Member! We are seen to and given our room key within 30 seconds of queueing - the part I always hate - waiting!

We were lucky enough to be Upgraded to a better room for the most part of our stay. As we were having children to visit on a number of the days, it proved very useful as it came with a lounge area (although, it missed a TV). The rooms were very comfortable, and the beds, as always at Holiday Inn, very comfortable. Only one little problem, we were staying at the Spring/Summer change over, and they had shut off the heating and changed the Duvets to summer ones, and a few of the nights it was rather chilly. We did request a thicker duvet and were given some blankets - not quite the same, but it did the job.

The play area for the kids is very useful - and they can learn a little at the same time.

The Gym and Pool were great, although, a Monday morning outside of School Holidays - Do not take children in! It seems to be swimming lessons day for the more mature - they hated the kids splashing round!

The local area is good for food and shopping. Tesco and Asda are both 24 hours - Monday to Saturday. There is a Frankie and Benny's and a Brewers Fayre, as well as a McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut and Burger King. The Hotel restaurant is not expensive as such, but it is not what I would call reasonably priced, especially if you are staying there for a long time, however, on the night we ate in it was pleasant enough, and the staff were friendly.

If you would like a coffee at the Coffee Bar - be prepared to have a long wait - it must be quite new, as most of the Staff did not really know how to use it that well or quickly when you need your cappucino fix!

Overall, this Hotel was excellent. It was very friendly, and priced very reasonably. One pain in the backside was that the barrier to get the car out needed a ticket, which you need scanning at reception - a bit of a palava, why not let you put your room key or gym membership card through it?

Stay here - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank scottyboy1976
Reviewed 26 June 2007

The room I was given was very small and the bathroom even worse. Food quality was not good either, very much frozen food quality. Staff in the restaurant were friendly though, all in all one of the poorer Holiday Inn hotels I've stayed at.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business