“Food ok, Very poor service”

Playwrights Bar & Bistro
Ranked #27 of 589 Restaurants in Coventry
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Went here recently, after several visits before, with a group of friends. Ordered starters and mains, these seemed to come in dribs and drabs so we were waiting a little while for everyone to get their meals. This I could except as it was fairly busy, but a friend ordered a steak, again waited a while after we all had ours and it eventually arrived. She had asked for rare and this definitely wasn't. It was what I would call well done so mentioned it to the waitress. She said she would replace it but by this time my friend didn't want to wait even longer so said no she wouldn't have another and the waitress said she would knock 20% off. We were expecting this to mean she wouldn't pay for her main meal but in fact this meant 20% off her meal, about £2.50! She eventually after al lot of arguing said she would go to 25%, about £3! We were really disgusted in this as it would have meant our friend would be eating on her own if she had accepted their offer to cook her another steak..really not what you want when you have gone out to eat together!
Anyway for the sake of £10 off the bill they have lost all our custom, we won't be returning and we paid exactly the bill to the penny, so the tip they would have got from us equalled what they should have knocked off the bill..so it cost us no extra, they gained no extra but lost all pour custom. Great customer service!

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I've eaten here a few times and would recommend it to anyone. I've never had a bad meal here, the cheese plate is very nice and the soups are always lovely. The service has always been friendly and efficient. Even when the restaurant has been busy our order has always been taken promptly and the longest we've ever waited for our food to arrive has been 20 minutes. It's in a great spot near the cathedral and has a very nice friendly atmosphere.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Average food at best and won't be going back in a hurry. It was a busy lunch but nonetheless. Found the service to be quiet good despite others on the forum saying they were awful..but the food was like a Wetherspoons pub meal. Disappointing as I was expecting more. Obviously margins are more important than repeat customer appeal!

Reviewed 18 July 2013

Met my good lady for a Wedding Anniversary lunch. Have been a few times before and found the food to be reasonable and service good. Unfortunately a couple of slips made this visit a little frustrating. First, drinks ordered (2 large diet cokes). I could tell as soon as they were put on the table that they were flat - very flat! Drinks changed (although went for bottles) my San Miguel was almost warm - but not quite. 2 meals ordered - Burger with Cheese and Bacon, Poached Salmon. Took quite a while to arrive and when it did the salmon was raw in the middle (very raw). This was returned and the manageress (possibly?) came over to explain that it had been poached for 20 mins (which is what caused the delay) but they were sorting it now. A new piece of salmon was produced within about 5 mins (definitely not poached for 20 mins......grilled as a fix - maybe). Burger was OK. Coleslaw a bit limp. Overall a more disappointing visit than we've had before, all the faults were rectified (which is a big plus) but attention to detail was a bit low and could have been caught before they got to our table.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I went here for my birthday and had a great meal and received a fab service with attention to detail. We had a coeliac and a vegetarian in the group and the menu choices were extensive for both which really makes a change. As it was my birthday I got my 3 course meal free which was brilliant. The food was gorgeous and the service very good. Will be going again.