“Good Good, Good Service!”

Playwrights cafe bar & bistro
Ranked #30 of 585 Restaurants in Coventry
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 16 January 2014

My wife and I both had the Chicken Cesar Salad with Bacon (I had a portion of chips on the side)...it came out in good time and was lovely and fresh.

The service is friendly and efficient although we weren't offered a coffee or pudding afterwards which I found strange...so we just left without having either.

The restaurant has several menus (including an a la carte & gluten free menu) and they seem to do special evenings such as Mexican nights etc. All available on the website, but not explained when served which was a shame as it was our first time there to eat...maybe missing a selling opportunity?

The lunch menu is good 'Traditional Fayre' with lasagna, salads, jackets, burgers etc. and we were impressed with the standard. There is also a specials board to choose from.

Not sure if you can order from the a la carte menu during the day? I'll ask next time...it may give a wider choice to choose from.

We'll be back - maybe later on in the evening to try the a la carte menu which looks to have a great selection of restaurant dishes to choose from!

My review would be 'Good' but Tripadvisor doesn't allow.

1  Thank RichardF38
There are newer reviews for Playwrights cafe bar & bistro

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Small café but clean and nice, much better than the ones in the centre of town. Was wonderful to come across somewhere that catered for vegetarians and vegans. Nice food at reasonable prices. Service was a little slow, but didn't mind waiting. Well done to Playwrights, will definitely be visiting again soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Nice to come across a restaurant which actually has a vegan menu. Need to look at prices carefully as on their website the prices are different when you are handed their menus. Food was not as spicy as one would expect from the Mexican menu, it was rather timid. Also the Indian Vegetable Sizzle was bland eg no Indian spices. Service was slow bearing in mind the restaurant was quite. We asked for the bill and again that took ages to appear

Reviewed 21 December 2013

It's a very small cafe in a centre of Coventry.
I have been here for a meal with the project team.
The food was ok, and good service, but it's really small for a big group.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We were told about this restaurant by a local.My wife has had a wheat intolerance for some years and eating out is always problematical for her.Not the case at Playwrights- they have a gluten free menu that gives many choices in all courses and will always try to accommodate any requests.We called in one morning to book a table for that evening and had a lengthy chat with chef.
Returned that evening and my wife ate a full 3 courses,which is something she has not done in a restaurant for many years.The main course she chose was traditional battered fish and chips-which she has been unable to eat in a restaurant for over 20 years.Thank you, Playwrights!
As person who is lucky enough not to suffer with any intolerances or allergies, I had plenty of interesting dishes to choose from.
The staff were friendly and efficient.I will certainly be back for more.