“Excellent steak great value for money”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #76 of 584 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Coventry, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent steak great value for money”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I recently visited the red lion with my partner and left extremely satisfied I had a t-bone feeling cheeky I asked for it to be served with chilli-con carne on top and the chef was more than happy to cater for this. My partner had a Sunday roast and it looked huge and for the price it was excellent value for money.

The staff were friendly and welcoming, always around when I needed a refill on drinks and there was a short wait on food even though it was a busy sunny day.

I would highly recomend the red lion to anyone willing to venture an extra ten minutes down Tamworth road.

1 Thank Bignigel32

Coventry
“Good food, just a shame about the service...”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Went her for a family lunch not too long ago. Hadn't been for a while and was pleased to see that the quality of the food had not dropped. Everything was very tasty and clearly homemade/freshly prepared.

The only thing that let it down was the service. They only had two ladies on serving both the restaurant and at the bar. This meant that everything was inevitably very slow. If they'd put more staff on then I wouldn't have anything bad to say really.

Coventry, United Kingdom
“First evening out for ages”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We chose to try a local pub for our first night out for a while. The service was poor and food was to match. For starter we had soup and breaded mushrooms. The bread on the soup was stale and breaded mushrooms tasted poor. The 'special' peppercorn chicken was dry and came with no salad or vegetables! We were served by 3 different waiters during our meal, only the older guy showing an ounce of interest. Disappointing, will not return.

Coventry
“Good food, shame about the service”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

I visited this pub for a meal with my mum. To start off with the waitress asked as soon as she saw us to our table what we want to drink. I find this in restaurants a bit rushed and doesn't give you the chance to think about it and look at the menu. Our drinks were brought over and then we waited over half an hour for a member of staff to take our order. Despite asking two serving staff whether they can send someone over to take our order (they replied 'can't you see we are busy at the moment' - there were 3 staff just standing and chatting by the tills) I ended up going over and asking for them to come and take our order. The restaurant had a couple of large tables in but this doesn't mean they can be rude to us and forget other paying customers. When our food came however, it was very nice. Home cooked, hot, tasty. Such a shame the staff let it down and we were so close to walking out. I am not sure I will visit again because of the overall experience but as long as the staff are sorted then I think it would be a very good pub.

1 Thank carolinerooke42
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Victims of their own success”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This place was an extremely nice place to eat - unfortunately they have become victims of their own success. Service was terrible due to popularity (even thou we had booked our table) starters where OK if not a little long in coming, but the mains were terrible, left to long under hot plates becoming hard a dry - the Mexican flour wrap, which had chilli con carne inside was like my ole nan's rice pudding. Waitress told us she would take off the bill, but didn't and cashier put thru the full amount on my card, but then couldn't refund it back to my card !!!! To the manager/ess Think you need to stop and evaluate your success against the losses as we saw several meals being returned.

1 Thank solilad