“P.B”

Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Wexford, Ireland
“P.B”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

relocated here from a near by hotel . And was delighted to see a lovely clean reception area. staff very friendly We got 3 rooms they where small but clean and had a comfortable bed. and the bathroom was also clean .food was ok had to wait 3/4 hr for 3 chicken strips and chips as the cooker had to be cleaned . but it served with a smile I had booked a late stay till 2 pm as my flight wasnt till 7.20 pm ..and i had also ordered room service breakfast for 9.30 am. Someone banging on my bedroom door woke me at 8.10 AM and i woke to see a cleaner in my room wanting to know when i was leaving i replied i had a late stay only to be told that i shouldnt as there was a coach load arriving and they needed all rooms I stated i havnt even had my breakfast yet and it wasnt arriving till half nine she wasn't happy about this i pointed out that checkout was at 11 am and i was still sleeping when she woke me she said she see if i could stay but not likely . I had my and breakfast one sausage one egg and 1 bacon 11.50 sterling and 3 pounds for service I was out of hotel by 10.45 oh and on leaving was asked to pay for breakfast again other than being told to leave early not a bad place .to stay if no where else to go i would go back .

Room Tip: check your room before checking in and accepting it
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank saphaireblue
Coventryquality, Director of Sales at Quality Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Good Morning

Thank you so much for your valued posting on Trip Advisor.

The whole team at the Quality Hotel Coventry look forward to welcoming you back here in the not too distant future.

In the meantime

Diane Minnis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Ashton-under-Lyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We didn't pick this Hotel as we were on a National Holidays weekend. The room stunk badly of stale fags, my daughters bed wobbled and squeaked like mad, the cups had not been washed, the guy on reception couldn't believe it and apologised profusely and gave me new ones, the bathroom was filthy, sink dirty and someone else's long hair all over the floor, short and curlies all round the toilet, uck.

We had a problem with the room next door, TV was on when we arrived at 4.10pm but did not bother us as ours was on too however when it was still blasting out at 4am we were fuming having had no sleep, I rang reception and the guy came and knocked on but at 4.25am it was still blasting out, I rang back and he said nobody came to the door and maybe they were drunk and asleep - oh nice good for them - I said maybe they'd snuffed it! He went to check computer and said "the room is still occupied", so I suggested he RING the room, which he seemed reluctant to do, so I told him if he didn't I would go smash the door down as by this time I was very very tired and angry, eventually at 4.35am all went quiet!!

The food was good but as we were on an organised trip the way it was set up wasn't very good, most tables were set up to seat six people meaning that families were being split up and people having to sit with other families, one lady commented that it was like being at school!! I think the seating plan needs reviewing. Breakfast was lovely with a good choice, self service and eat as much as you like. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Hmmm the bar, I ordered 2 Pints of Carling and a small Lemonade and nearly fell over when the barman said £9.60!! Way overpriced, especially the child's Lemonade which I usually pay 50p for half a pint!! The really annoying thing was as most people had left he stuck up a note saying Happy Hour 8-10pm £1 off all drinks, maybe if he'd done this earlier more people would have stayed as would we.

The Entertainment was a joke, 2 old blokes who were rude about all the children,(this was a trip for kids to Cadbury World and Disney on Ice) who I hasten to add were having a fab time dancing and singing, the singer kept saying things like "is it not time these kids were in bed", anyway the parents got fed up of it and took the kids to bed so the bar went from being full to just 2 people, that lost the hotel money. Maybe they could sack the old codgers off and just play music
Lovely staff, nice food but would not recommend it.

Room Tip: Room at the back quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Good Morning

Thank you so much for your valued posting on Trip Advisor.

The whole team at the Quality Hotel Coventry work hard to ensure our guests are well looked after and, to that end, we are so grateful for your kind comments.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Hotel is fantastic, staff super friendly and helpful. The food in the hotel was a little pricey for what it was. Rooms are nice and spacious, tv's were a little dated in some of the rooms and if you are staying at the front end of the hotel, there is a busy dual carriageway a stones throw away so you don't have total peace and quiet. With the wifi, was lucky to get half a meg so if wanting to do more than the most basic of web browsing you will be struggling.
As for the water, nice and hot for having a bath or shower and for boiling to make a brew but i would not recommend drinking the tap water. When you fill a cup it is a milky colour and several of my colleagues staying there as well were toilet-bound for a day or 2 afterwards after drinking it.
Breakfast was cracking as well. Buffet style with a choice of cereals, continental or cooked.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the rear are quieter and rooms towards the front have a better selection of tv channel...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank heisenberg73
Coventryquality, Director of Sales at Quality Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Good Morning

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on this valuable site. The team here are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay - and Chef was delighted you enjoyed your breakfast!

Please call me next time you wish to stay with us in order that I can offer you a better direct rate.

Ludlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Oh dear. All went fairly well until checkout time. Staff were fine. Rooms were basic and the hot tap did not work in the basin, but the bed was clean and I had an OK night. Food was as expected - large portions, overcooked veg, bought-in puddings, pricey for what it was.

It was a business trip and I had prepaid 3 rooms and 3 evening meals so as to keep it simple and have it all on one bill. The only extras were drinks totalling about £19. At checkout I was shown a bill with an extra £47 to pay. I said I am sure we did not drink that much. The receptionist spent the next 10 minutes or so with her calculator trying/failing to work out what might be wrong. Another party were waiting to check out and believed theirs was straightforward so I suggested they went ahead of me. They had the same problem - the receptionist named an amount around double what they expected.

Meanwhile a restless queue built up and the receptionist seemed to have no option to call for backup, saying it was just her on the desk. It was only when the phone had been ringing and ringing, and the queue behind us getting vocal, that a cleaner happened to drop by the desk and the receptionist asked him to see if the manager was in his office. Then the manager and another woman appeared - she took over with the customer I had let in front of me, and the manager answered the phone before disappearing hastily back to his office.

I was told that my debit card 'would not have been charged' for some of the food which was why my bill was more than expected. It was only when I insisted that it was impossible - if my card had not been charged for my meal it would have been the same for my colleagues - that she checked my colleagues' paperwork and found that I HAD paid the full amount, and did in fact only owe £19. It then took about another 10 minutes to sort out the card payment (having put my card in the previous night to cover bar charges, it all had to be done again anyway). Then ages to sort out a proper receipt.

No-one apologised for the mistakes and the half-hour wasted for myself and colleagues - all for a fairly minor amount in our case, worth less than our time. I do not blame the receptionist - perhaps a lack of training/inadequate systems and above all poor management. But the attitude of the manager - going straight to the phone, ignoring the customers waiting, totally unapologetic as if we were all way beneath him - and as if over-charging were the norm - perhaps he was just disappointed that we noticed.

Needless to say despite being cheap and convenient for the NEC, we will not be staying there again.

Room Tip: Just choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Liz C
Coventryquality, Director of Sales at Quality Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
I won't respond to your review other than to confirm the Team here are delighted to read your final paragraph.

Travellers are raving about these Coventry hotels

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I was relocated here after refusing to stay at a nearby 'hotel', we arrived late, we're warmly greeted by friendly staff, with the wonderful chef even staying back later than his shift to make sure we were fed and watered. The hotel itself was fabulous and we slept really well, room was lovely. I would definitely stay again if I was in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Coventryquality, Director of Sales at Quality Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Hello and thank you!

The Team at the Quality Hotel Coventry are thrilled you enjoyed your recent stay with us; we work hard to get great results and to know we achieve this is such a boost1

Next time you stay please say 'hello'!

I would be delighted to meet with you.

Sales Manager
Mirfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Like all hotels, the prices will increase and decrease depending on occupancy ( although I disagree with this system - can you imagine going to a supermarket for a loaf of bread and the price had tripled because they've almost sold out? Maybe that's not far away either!). Anyway, I got a good price for my stay on this particular night. The staff were excellent from reception to the bar staff and the breakfast staff in the morning, they all had a smile and gave the impression that they were indeed "delighted to serve"! The room was of a good standard and also clean and comfortable. They also had free wifi which was great apart from the fact that it didn't work the next morning, which was rather frustrating. All in all very good and I'd certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: I think they are all pretty similar
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Coventryquality, Director of Sales at Quality Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Good Afternoon

Thank you so very much for this valued review on Trip Advisor!

The Team here at the Quality Hotel Coventry really appreciate your kind comments; let me know when you are due to stay here again - I would love to meet with you personally.

Sales Manage
Nottingham
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I find it hard to believe the previous reviews - and it was on these that I based my one night stay.
Here are the facts: I was a bit surprised to see a bracket beside two screws in the wall when I got into the room, but realised that was where the trouser press should have been. The tv remote didn't work so I took it with me to reception to ask their advice. The guy remove the battery cover and showed me a small hole near the batteries saying: "If you put a bit of wire in this hole and jiggle it about, you should be able to calibrate it with the tv." I don't actually carry pieces of wire with me for this sort of eventuality, so I read a book instead and assumed that the TV, like the trouser press screws, was more for appearance than actual use.
Still, the next morning I woke up thinking it could only get better, and opened the curtains - the windows were damp, mouldy and rotten. It was at this point that I thought i'd take the photo as I thought no-one will believe that a modern chain hotel at £70 a night could be in this state of deterioration.
Breakfast: Sauteed mushrooms - in three inches of water? I didn't know that you could still buy tinned catering mushrooms! The bacon was that soggy pale stuff, with limp white rind and the white water globules ozzing on top, there were some tomatoes (tinned of course) in the watery red mush, and three hard-yolked eggs on the platter. The sausage did make Wall's bangers seem haute cuisine. God only knows what these contain! (I doubt that pork was involved). The coffee was okay though - probably because it was the only element of the breakfast that was actually meant to have a high water content. I assume that they buy everything in large catering tins. I would normally have a word with the manager/manageress when a hotel is so poor, but frankly didn't see the point - the mouldy, rotten window frame didn't just happen, they must have known that there was no trouser press in room 36, their staff should be trained better than to fob customers off with such a poor response regarding the tv control, and they would certainly know what went into their breakfast! Terrible - the "Quality" should be prefixed: "Poor"

Room Tip: Check that the room has the facilities they promise, including working tv and trouser press. Ask if...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank StephenNottingham
Coventryquality, Director of Sales at Quality Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Good Morning Stephen

May I thank you for your report on Trip Advisor.

Your feedback is extremely important to us.

All your comments have been noted and will be dealt with accordingly.

Sales Manager