“Some disappointing aspects”

Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Stockport, England
“Some disappointing aspects”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Let me begin by saying that this review may not be a true reflection on standards of accomodation offered to individual bookers. We visited as part of a National Holidays weekend mystery tour and expectations need to be lowered accordingly. My first impressions after viewing the hotel supplied photographs, on my return home, is that they bare no resemblance to either our room or the catering facilities that we were fobbed off with. I know better than to expect top quality from a National trip and that is just the way it is although they usually still represents value for money.
On with the review:-
On arrival we were faced with a very impressive looking building which did bode well for our stay. The outdoor seating areas appear to benefit from the sun from mid morning through to sunset and there are plenty of chairs and tables. The view, once you look past the main road, is staggeringly beautiful and I can imagine spending lovely summer evenings sat there with a nice refreshing drink. There are brackets for hanging baskets all along the front wall which were unused unfortunately, maybe later in the year. First impressions on entering the building were OK with no immediate wow factor evident but on the other hand no overwhelming disappointment resulting either. Check in was as simple as picking up an envelope containing your key and a short letter giving dinner and breakfast times. Our room was on the first floor at the front of the hotel and a short walk upstairs and along a corridor brought us to Room 30. On entering we were underwhelmed, the room was clean enough but very spartan in both furnishings and decor. Everything appeared clean enough and functional. The bed was OK if a little low and the bedding was all clean. The pillows were very thin and I needed the two spares from the wardrobe to achieve a level of comfort. The main feature is a large wall mounted TV with the full FREEVIEW channel selection. All the furniture matches but appears to be of quite poor quality but it does provide more than enough storage capacity for an overnight stay. There is a hairdrier in one of the drawers in the main dresser. This is also where the brew facilities are located. There were enough milks and sugars for a single brew each but no biscuits supplied. The bathroom was quite small with a corner shower, a sink and a full sized pedestal. This was probably the worst part of the room as a whole and it looked in need of a refurb or at least a sprucing-up. There was a soap dispenser over the sink and another in the shower cubicle although the soap they dispensed was not of great quality. Towels were in good supply and were clean and fairly fluffy. Toilet roll was of poor quality but again ample in quantity although the toilet roll holder was broken. There was an ever-present musty smell in the bathroom. Well that about describes the room, it was OK for a one night stay but I wouldn't book it as an individual or a couple if staying in the area. The photo's supplied by the hotel do not show this type of room in all it's glory and you could be lead to believe that all the rooms in the hotel are beautifully decorated and appointed. For the price we paid National for the weekend it was just acceptable and to expect anything that truly matches the blurb would be sheer folly. Obviously the 8/10 rating is not based solely on the reviews of National guests. Anyway, on to dinner which we had been informed would be served at 7-15pm. A decent time to allow everyone time to refresh from the rigours of the day and perhaps even partake in a pre-dinner snifter. It was not immediately obvious where dinner was being served and only by walking through the restaurant used by individual guests did we end up in what appeared to be a function room being utilised as a second restaurant. There was a menu on each table and the choices for dinner were as follows:- Starter - Vegetable soup, egg mayonaisse or pate served without any relish or toast. Main Course - Fish pie, roast chicken or macaroni cheese. Accompaniments were mixed vegetables, mash potato and gravy. Dessert - Apple pie and custard, trio of ice-cream and sticky toffee gateau. I know, it all sounds OK and in truth I suppose it was. Anyway it went like this:- starter was served at your table, main course was buffet style and dessert was served at table. The fun really started with the serving of starters, there was no coming round and taking orders beforehand. No, what happened here was a waitress would appear with two bowls of soup and then find diners who wanted them. Another waitress would follow with two egg mayonaisses and ask who wanted them. This continued until everyone had their choice but it took a while. From an organisational point of view it was very slow and amateurish in both its concept and its implementation. There were three soups and one egg mayo on our table and the concensus was that the soup was really good and the egg as OK. Nobody had the pate but I would have done had there been any toast or relish/chutney served alongside it. We had all eaten our bread roll while waiting for the serving debacle to start. The queue for mains was very slow moving but it was moving. The main element was served by the chef and you helped yourself to accompaniments. The macaroni cheese looked very stodgy and is something more akin to a school dinner than a serious grown-up evening meal. The fish pie didn't vary very much in appearance from the mashed potato although as nobody on our table chose it I can't comment any further. The chicken appeared to be under water in the serving tray and to my greedy eyes looked like it was the breast of a previously unfamiliar miniature breed. It was small OK. The mashed potato was what it was and the mixed vegetables were varied, well cooked and hot. There were three chickens and one macaroni cheese on our table and concensus was that the chicken was OK albeit small and, as one of our party doesn't like mashed potato, her entire dinner was small. I opted to disregard the mash and loaded up with the mixed vegetables. Desserts began to arrive in the now familiar ad hoc manner and our table chose two ice creams and two apple pies. Both were enjoyed by the respective diners and I can't comment on the gateau. All in all dinner wasn't great and to make it worse the restaurant area that we had to walk through to get here contained diners on our way out. These people obviously had ordered real food from a real menu and it smelled good. After dinner we attempted tp retire to the bar area as entertainment had been provided. Unfortunately, as another coach had turned up after us, there was a bum on every seat. We ended up sitting in a variety of fairly scruffy but comfortable chairs in reception. As it turned out this was an ideal situation once the incredibly loud band started up in the bar area. They played an interesting mixture of Irish tunes and some more unrecognisable stuff that could have been skiffle or it could have been hip-hop for all we knew such was the volume and piercing nature of the vocalists warblings. We had been forewarned by the driver that the bar was very expensive. In short, no it wasn't. There was a happy hour notice propped up on the bar offering £1 off each drink between 8 and 10pm. In short we were paying £8.70 for 2 pints of Caffreys, a whisky and lemonade and a half pint of Olde English cider. Bargain. The night passed fairly pleasantly and we all turned in. The room was very hot due to being bathed in sunshine all afternoon and we found that we needed to leave the window open overnight. The main road was fairly noisy all night but it doesn't affect us that much as we live under a flightpath and are used to noise. We had a fairly decent sleep although the wife awoke complaining about aching limbs and blaming the hardness of the bed. I thought it was OK. Anyway it was time to pack and go down for breakfast. Hopes were high as, once again, the real restaurant smelled really good as we passed through it. I was lloking forward to a decent full English and to say I was disappointed with what was on offer is a massive understatement. I should have known better after the dinner from last night I suppose. Basically there was orange juice and a choice of 2 cereals in addition to the cooked breakfast. This comprised fried eggs, bacon, mushrooms and baked beans. There was also pre-prepared toast available. Not a sausage in sight or a hash brown, or black pudding or tomato, or scrambled egg. The eggs were mostly overcooked, the bacon appeared to have been boiled and the mushrooms like-wise. Very poor fayre with the exception of the beans which were OK. There was a flask of coffee but you had to take your cup to it. No fresh drinks served at table. We moaned about the sausages all day to the extent that it almost became funny. It wasn't.
As I said at the start this review should not be taken as a definitive statement concerning standards of accomodation and catering available at this hotel. It's what you get if you stay here on a National break. The great shame is that it taints opinion to the extent where, as I stated previously, I would not select this hotel as an individual or a couple staying in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have a great view but are of generally poor quality
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter H
Coventryquality, Director of Sales at Quality Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Hello

Thank you for your very valued and very lengthy review.

The Team at the Quality Hotel Coventry are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

Sales Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Leicestershire
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in February. The hotel is very basic with very small rooms. It is on a very busy road and I'm afraid the windows really do need replacing. The traffic noise is constant. What really let this hotel down for us was the staff. When we checked in there was no greeting, not even a hello. The young man seemed more interested in continuing to talk to his colleague than giving us any information. He just asked me to fill in the registration form. We were not asked if we would like breakfast or told where the restaurant was. I was amazed that there should be such a lack of hospitality and I'm afraid that this lack of care made me feel very disappointed. We didn't use the restaurant or bar. We found out from notices around the hotel that breakfast is over £10 per person. We had some nice meals at Le Gusto and Xanana on the Warwick University Complex. I would not recommend this hotel. There were some very noisy guests staying there too so along with the traffic noise we didn't get much sleep.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fufugirl1
Good Evening

Thank you for your interesting comments

Regards

Di Minnis
Sales Manager

Travellers are raving about these Coventry hotels

hull
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Booked with national holidays to see dancing on ice final tour at the NIA Birmingham Easter weekend sat/sun April, upon arrival at the hotel we found the hotel to be nice and clean in all areas, rooms were nice too everything we needed in the room tea/coffee etc. staff were very polite from arriving on the sat to us leaving on the Sunday,all in all we had a nice stay apart from one minor incident that was no fault of the hotel, but having rang reception to complain about the people in the next room who were on the same coach as us from hull the noise they were making shouting and swearing and generally making a nuisance of themselves and Tv full blast!! when me and my granddaughter were trying to sleep!! Chloe bayley and the night manager came up to have a word and asked them to keep the noise down but unfortunately the noise just got worse, I rang again and Chloe who was lovely and couldn't help enough gave us another room at the front where it was very quiet and we finally got some sleep even my granddaughter said wasn't that lady ( Chloe ) very nice thank you again

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mayosu01
Good Evening

Thank you so much for this very valued review.

Please let me advise you something really special........ I have watched Chloe playing in a Charity Football Match today - she always goes the extra mile!

Hope to see you again soon.

Kindest regards

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Let me start by telling you that the hotel is value for money. Don't expect anything fancy. Service is above average. The housekeeping is poor. The maintenance and the upkeep of the room is not acceptable.The lounge bar sofas are in need for an upholstery change. The quality of bed and bath linen also need improvement. But on the positive side, the restaurant food is pretty decent.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AnuragRanjita
Good Evening

We are thrilled you liked our food but note the comments on the upholstery.

Thank you for the valued review.

Sincerely

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

From the minute I called to make my booking I was really impressed with the Quality Hotel Coventry. The receptionist was so friendly and so helpful and answered all my questions promptly and nothing seemed too much trouble.

I arrived late at the Hotel and used one of the fantastic ‘Ladies Only’ parking spots… what a great idea for me as a lady travelling alone. Got in to the Hotel and the atmosphere was lovely. The staff helped me with my bags, Check in was quick and Matt, Receptionist, explained all the timings to me but without being boring. He was really knowledgeable and he had a great rapport with the Manager on duty that night which was so nice to see.

I used the complimentary Sauna and Steam Room and that was amazing… new and clean and so relaxing after my long journey.

I had a great meal in the Bar and a couple of nice glasses of wine which was keenly priced. The Bar Staff were really friendly and the food was fab, plentiful and extremely tasty. I didn’t manage a pudding as I was too full!

Bedroom was great – spacious, immaculately clean (including a brand new window) and so quiet. Bathroom too was spotless – towels lovely and smelt so fresh.

I was going off to the NEC the next morning and after a great night sleep (bed was really comfortable and so inviting) and a lovely hot fresh breakfast got there in less than 10 minutes! Even as a sole female traveller I didn’t get lost as it was just a straight road!!

Going to stay again in a few weeks as I am travelling out of Birmingham Airport and Matt told me about the great rates for ‘Stay and Fly’.

Brilliant – thank you!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank olly25
Good Evening

I know we have met since your review but I needed to thank you on Trip Advisor too for such wonderful comments.

We get a lot of 'strange' comments from 'apparent guests' which make the Team at the Quality Hotel Coventry smile.

See you soon.

Kindest Regards

Di Minnis
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Just returned from a weekend away and stayed sat night at the quality hotel. Our stay here was excellent value and the room was clean and modern and comfortable. The staff were friendly and professional. The stand out was the meals, especially head chef Mark, who went out of his way to make our meals right,especially for my mother in law, who required a gluten free menu. All of the staff worked hard to make our stay perfect. Would highly recommend this hotel and hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Coventryquality, Director of Sales at Quality Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Good Morning

Thank you from all the Team for such a great review on Trip Advisor!

The Team at the Quality Hotel Coventry work hard to ensure our guests are totally relaxed during their stay with us... we are always pleased to know that our efforts are well received.

Please contact me directly next time you stay at the Quality Hotel Coventry - I would love to meet with you personally.

In the meantime

Kindest regards

New Zealand
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed here because it worked out well with our travel plans as a halfway point. The room was large, warm and comfortable, the bed was really comfortable we both had a good night sleep. I have to say the shower was excellent probably one of the best over the bath showers I have had. We ordered room service dinner as it only cost £3.00 more than dining in the restaurant you do have to pay by card or cash unless you have left you card at reception and set up a tab. The food was great we both enjoyed our meals. We received great service from all the staff we encountered. Plenty of parking available and easy to get into Coventry the following morning. I would recommend this hotel for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 55, away from the road so no road noise!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Good Morning

Thank you from all the Team here at the Quality Hotel Coventry for your very valued report on Trip Advisor.

We all work hard to ensure our guests have a great stay - thrilled we got it right!

Hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Kind regards