“Not worth £59” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“Not worth £59”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

Stayed here 2 nights - how is this a 3 star hotel ?
The staff can't be criticised - they were polite and helpful, BUT we stayed in room 4 that over looked the A45 that was never quiet and since there is no air con we had to have the window open which didn't help with the noise. On the first night there was a prom party in the conference end of the suite and at first they were all very well behaved, but by 1am, we could here drunken foul mouthed kids under the influence of alcohol and the noise woke us up - again. Also the bed's springs were almost protruding out of the bed.
Now the bathroom, there were red and brown splatters up the basin wall....yuk, and as for the shower - well unless you are an anorexic with no chest whatsoever, you won't be able to get in it unless you are willing to scrape the skin off your back as you do.
We had been at the Royal Show all day Friday and were exhausted, so decided to use the hotels restaurant - but found it was closed - on a Friday night ??
This hotel needs updating.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Paignton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2009

My wife and I stayed here for one night prior to visiting the NEC, despite the mixed reviews we found the hotel to be very comfortable and suited our needs. Check in was efficient and polite, our room was clean and tidy, not the largest hotel room I have ever been in but we didn't bring the cat so didn't need the extra space to swing it in! The restaurant was closed, both during the evening and at breakfast, which was served in the bar area, we also had a bar snack in the evening. No explanation was given for the closure and some reviewers might make a song and dance about it but we accepted it and survived nicely. Our reason for chosing this hotel as stated was because we were going to the NEC which is only about 8 miles away along a dual carriageway and so easy to get to. The next time I am going to the NEC I would have no hesitation in staying here.
Just a word about their prices though, I first booked through booking.com in Jan '09 at a cost of £73 for a double room and breakfast. In early May the price had dropped to £62 and by late May I was able to book at £58 which is what I eventually paid!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Indysassy
Hull,England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2009

My husband and I went on National Holidays break for the Easter weekend. Yes it was a cheap break but cheap doesn't mean having a bathroom that was dirty and full of mould on the ceiling and in the shower; bedside tables covered in so much dust that we had to clean it and the duvet cover covered in stains! Having travelled extensively there is one thing one expects and that is cleanliness and hygiene and room 8 didn't have any of that! I guess that is the peril of asking for a non smoking room. Having read the other review I feel we must have been at seperate hotels as his experience was nothing like ours ATALL! The best thing about the Quality Inn Hotel was the dinner and breakfast and the friendly chef! The reception and bar staff were unfriendly and surly. The bar lacked atmosphere possibley due to the clientelle all wanting to watch soap operas and sport !My question here is why go away if that is what you want - think of others - we had to suffer this in the bar evening after evening! The hotel does not cater for anyone with a disability as it has no lift and you have to navigate steps to get to the front door of the hotel.We didn't even get a satisfaction survey to complete and now we can see why! Would we go back - NO!

• Stayed April 2009
1 Thank Dweenie

Travellers are raving about these Coventry hotels

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2009

This hotel is used by National Holidays on there Cotswold breaks and we stayed on the 10/11/12 April in room 30. O.K. so you cannot call this hotel posh. This hotel is not for a romantic break, it is on the main A45 Birmingham to Coventry road which makes it handy for the airport as you can leave your car in the hotel carpark. We was in a front facing room overlooking the main road and the golf course. No real noise from the road. You can hear some noise through the walls but no worse then most of the hotels in Europe and the U.S. that we have stayed in. The room was clean and quite roomy, the bathroom was very clean and the shower worked perfect every time. In the room was a wardrobe and 6 draws, plus tea/coffee and a T.V. with sky sports. The bar dose lack atmosphere, it has two TVs and a pool table. But 1/2 a mile down the road is a pub (turn left out of the hotel then take the 2nd left, go past the shop on your left and the Rainbow pub is about 200 yards on your right as the road bends.) The beer/ larger costs £3 a pint in the hotel bar. As for the food at this hotel I can only say I was shocked by how good it was.The breakfeast was faultless, the evening meals was also very good. Yes you do get a free copy of the Daily Mail. But no big deal, if you do not want to read it or used it as "cat litter" just do not pick it up. I would be more then happy to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2009
3 Thank ian480
Swansea
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2009

On entry to the room, it seemed pleasant enough but the cobwebs hanging off the ceiling and the walls spoiled it. The shower head was caked with dirt and we didn't have hot water for 2 days until the morning we left. The unit under the TV looked like it was falling apart and there was no wardrobe to hang your clothing, just a rail with a few hangers. If you were planning a long trip, then there was no secure storage for many clothes. The radiator showed signs of leaking and rust as well.

There were no signs about what times breakfast were, so at 9.30am I went to purchase a voucher to be told they stopped serving at 9.30am. I was told to ask in the restaurant and they refused to serve me. Very jobsworth staff who would not even accommodate a guest by a minute.

In reception, there were free copies of the Daily Mail, a newspaper I would rather use to line a cat litter tray rather than read, and the edge of the sofa was broken which could have resulted in a nasty accident if you leant on it whilst drinking a coffee.

The one positive side was that the bed was comfortable. Fortunately we only stayed 2 nights.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RugbyEmma
Manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2009

We booked this hotel in September for one night stay. We requested a non-smoking room but when we arrived on the 1st of February we were given a small, dull room that stank of smoke. It even had an ashtray supplied.
We went back to reception but they said that there was only other room available which was also a non-smoker. I think booking so long in advance it should have been easy to provide a room as requested.
The shower in the room was also very difficult to control - it seemed to go from very cold to very hot. I suppose that it meant that my shower was a very short one which saved on water.

The evening meal in the restaurant was quite poor. The choice was limited, so I thought that it would be good. If a chef only has a few options to cook then it should be good. However, when I asked the waitress about the cod in batter I was infromed that it was frozen and just heated in the oven. I chose something else and that must have been microwaved. My other half was less impressed than me.

The atmosphere in the bar was non-existent, prices seemed a little high but not too extortionate.

Breakfast was OK, certainly better than the evening meal.

Reading some of the other reviews it seems to be that some rooms must have been renovated - ours certainly wasn't.

I was very disappointed with this hotel which was not a cheap option.

• Liked — Convenient to where we needed to be
  • Disliked — Room, food, ambience
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SAB-LRS.
Devon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

Room 11....avoid! Shower barely controllable...old, loose controls. Bathroom floor had someone else's hair on the floor when I arrived.Bathroom had black mold around. I thought the banging of the door underneath me, which shook the bed and the room, would drive me insane. At one point I had to go out; I couldn't bear it any longer. It started early till late.There was a lot of work going on at the hotel so the drilling etc. was incessant.Bed very lumpy and old. View from window?...there wasn't one, just a rising roof at close range, which meant it was quite a dark room and claustrophobic.Did not eat or drink at the hotel ,so can't comment. Reception staff generally nice but one guy, foreign looking, does not know how to talk to guests. As for being called a 'Quality Hotel' they should be sued for misrepresentation. Thought Travelodge was bad, but its a palace in comparison. Good job i got the room at a dirt cheap price or I would have asked for a huge discount.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — The room was grubby with a view of a close-range roof. Noisy banging door drove me mad.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo