“weekend away”
Review of Allesley Hotel

Allesley Hotel
Ranked #35 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Hotel was old and ineed of updating, had stayed there before and didn't care for the breakfast. so we went to the local pub. on the first night I had to move rooms to the other side of the hotl as the disco was on till 0130 and very loud. I will use it again as we have areunion next door every year and it is abviously a convenience to have a hotel right next door. Would I stay there normally? no as there are better hotels in the area

Room Tip: check if there is a disco and move to far side of hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank bluethirteen
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Allesley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

I am sorry that you were not satisfied with the facilities at the hotel. I also apologise for the disturbance caused by the event taking place at the hotel during your stay. The reservation team do try to allocate rooms away from these areas to avoid such occurrences. It is quite clear that this did not take place on this occasion.. I do hope that you notice the on going improvements and investment in the property when you attend your reunion next year. My apologies once again.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

We booked this hotel months in advance as we needed a cheap place to stay for the Bruce Springsteen concert at the Ricoh Arena. As this was the cheapest and closest place we could find we decided to book a night despite the reviews. Upon arrival we managed to eventually find the reception as this isn't clearly marked from the road or car park and was pleasantly surprised that the entrance was clean and smart. We had booked a double room and requested non-smoking, however the lady at reception had told us that the only room we could have was a twin room as they had to close some rooms due to a faulty boiler. I asked immediately if this would cost less for us but was quickly dismissed as "the rate for rooms was so low at the moment" as if this was a perfectly acceptable reason. We then asked at 4pm if she could book a taxi for us for 5:15pm to the Ricoh Arena, she said "of course" and told us to come down at 5:15 and the taxi would be waiting. We were then taken to our room by one of the staff who didn't utter a word to us, offer to carry any bags and expected us to keep up with him as he marched towards the room. As we walked into the room the first thing that hit us was the stench of a room that had obviously been smoked in for some time. The door wouldn't close properly and had to be forced, there were 3 single beds, a filthy carpet, no double glazed window, a skip just outside the window, a dirty bathroom, rough towels and hard pillows. We quickly got changed and went down for the pre-booked taxi to leave for the concert. We then found that others were also waiting for pre-booked taxis. After we had waited until 5:30 I asked the reception if they could check with the taxi company how long they would be. The response from a different man on reception was "sorry there isn't a taxi booked under your name" He then booked a taxi and said it would be a further 10 minute wait. We eventually got the taxi with another couple after a further 20 min wait and found that they had a similar experience with the room and taxi wait. The next morning we wanted to shower and leave as soon as possible only to discover that the shower would not turn on as the lever was stuck. I eventually forced this on and had boiling hot water spray on my arm. The lever was then stuck on and after many attempts to alter the temp through the boiling hot water it wouldn't budge so I forced the lever back off to stop the shower. We got changed and went to check out and complain to the reception. I explained the problems we had and our overall experience and asked for a partial refund as what we had received was not what was advertised and paid for. I again got the same excuse that this was not possible as the rate was too low! The lady at reception then had the audacity to offer a complimentary stay the next time we were in Coventry! This was understandably laughed at and refused. She then said she would be in touch with us to see what she could do and as yet we've received no communication. We stayed on 20/06 in room 115.

AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS!

4  Thank Adam P
Reviewed 22 June 2013

On Arrival on first site at the entrance from the main road thought the hotel looked Run Down and in need of repair, then arrived at the entrance didn't look to bad. however once inside after check-in the corridors dark and gloomy, Our room was very basic, paintwork in need of repair, bathroom was not clean, tiles were in need of repair, a shabby shower curtain which drenched the floor when using shower. Bar was very poor. The breakfast was good though. But for the price we paid for 1 night it was not good. Receptionist was friendly enough though.

Room Tip: maybe the rooms in the added on part of the hotel would be better because they are a little newer..p...
2  Thank Dianne F

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review. Your feedback is welcome and appreciated. Please also accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations on this occasion. The hotel continues to upgrade and improve the bedroom facilities. I have circulated you comments regarding the bar and breakfast quality to the team at the hotel.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

It is wrong to call this a Hotel, rooms are very poor and unclean, staff really don't care and I would tell people to not bother wasting there money. Yes it was cheap but is no excuse for a dirty room. I spent one night here, and really just was desperate to get home and have a shower.
Wondering if the HSE know about this place?

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank clanger73
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Allesley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties experienced. I have passed your comments to the Head House Keeper, Reservation team and Maintenance department. Remedial training within the House keeping team has taken place since you stay. The hotel has upgraded the majority of the bedrooms and bathrooms at the hotel, this does not excuse however the quality of cleanliness experienced. Your comments have been used to ensure that future repetition does not occur. Thank you for taking the time to forward your feedback.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Having been booked into the hotel as wedding guests and then having read the reviews we were naturally concerned about even spending one night at this hotel! We were then pleasantly surprised when we turned up and were greeted by a very friendly lady who allowed us to upgrade our room to a nice large room with a good bathroom. The only improvements I can think of would be a shower curtain and towel rails. In every other respect the room was comfortable and suitable for our needs. Breakfast was adequate and the very basics were served plentifully. We weren't expecting the Ritz and the Allesley certainly is not this but it didn't appear to us to be as bad as other reviewers have indicated.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
1  Thank Seasoned69

Thank you for your feedback. I have circulated your review to the team at the hotel who wish to convey their thanks also. It is good to hear that you appreciated the improvements which have been made to date. These improvements are continual and can only enhance the hotel and the area in general.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

Booked last minute and got the room for £48 instead of £99. I WOULD NOT pay £99 ever. The room we first had was miles away from reception. The bathroom was disgusting with mildew around the ORANGE bath sink and toilet. I could not get the free WiFi either. I rang reception and was told I would "struggle to get wifi in the room, I'd have to to the reception or bar" which is not acceptable hen it's been advertised as free wifi and not free wifi in one area! I asked to be moved as the bathroom was grotty. The second room was ok. Not fantastic but clean enough. The manners of the staff were minimal to say the least. The decor of the whole hotel was tacky and gaudy with huge silk flower arrm

Room Tip: It rubbish
6  Thank truli

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay at the hotel. Improvements are being planned to strengthen and increase coverage of the existing free WiFi service which will alleviate current connection inconsistency. Your comments regarding the condition of the bathroom in the 1st bedroom have been passed to the Maintenance department where corrective action will take place. Please accept my apologies once again. Your feedback is important and will be used to improve the facilities and service at the hotel.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

I was booked into this hotel by my employer, so had no choice, but looked at the reviews here before going. I was a bit worried by them, but thought "can a hotel really be this badly run? Hot water is a basic requirement surely?" Believe the reviews. My room was cold, draughty, stank of damp mould and even after letting the tap and shower run for 10 minutes the water was ice cold. Dinner was offered in the bar but was one curry dish, no choice. All the admin was done on scraps of paper. The whole place was very unprofessional. The staff were quite nice, but totally out of their depth. It's a terrible shame, as Allesley is beautiful as a place and I think the hotel really lets it down. With competent management this place could be fantastic. If you've been booked in here with no choice, you can get a good meal in a warm, friendly place with good beer by going next door to the The Rainbow pub.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business