“Good Value for the price you pay.”
Review of Allesley Hotel

Allesley Hotel
Ranked #35 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Stornoway
“Good Value for the price you pay.”
Reviewed 10 April 2010

On first impressions, a very tired looking travelodge type hotel. Reading previous reviews I expected something awful... this was not the case. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. Daily housekeeping & a very nice lady housekeeper! Room could have done with having freeview as a week away from home with not much on the telly was quite boring. Shower cubicle rather small & curtain tends to cling to you. Only had one evening meal in the hotel which was OK but not great, good if you were hungry and there was nowhere else. Plenty of Restaurants & takeaways within walking distance Full English Breakfast was fantastic, with endless top ups of tea/coffee. Quiet location with no noise through the night whilst I stayed, despite there being various functions on. (18th & 60th Birthday parties) I would say that this hotel, is excellent value for the money we paid by booking online (£33 per night). Could do with decorating but clean & comfortable.... all you need really for a short stay!

1 Thank Katecarduff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Midlands
Reviewed 25 March 2010

Hotel dated and untidy throughout, plaster falling off walls, dirty carpets and unhelpful staff.

First room given had other peoples belongings and a bunch of skeleton housekeeping keys in it and was filthy. Second room not a great deal better. Hotel 2.5 miles from the centre so a taxi is a must and no phone reception on O2 in the hotel meant calling a cab was a nightmare too!

Really, really, just dont go there.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Coventry hotels

COVENTRY
Reviewed 24 March 2010

Apart from the fact that they treat their staff with no dignity and no respect, the hotel is dirty, old and pretty much disgusting. The food is mainly cheap "boil in the bag" package bought frozen crap and they charge ridiculous prices. It makes macdonalds look gourmet!!! The management have no respect for the hotel because they allow dogs in the do their dumps on bedroom floors, also leaving dirty dog hairs on carpets. They allow smokers to smoke in "non smoking rooms" need I continue?! They have so many complaints that no one of any class stays their and is prodominantly used as a weekend knock in shop for clubbers and drinkers in the city, and even then, the rooms aren't even fit for prostitute. The stains you see on the carpets have been walked in for years and years and no one has bothered to do anything about it. All in all the hotel is cheap dirty grubby and I wouldnt take my clothes off and sleep in one of those rooms again if someone paid for.

One review said "up your budget" for an extra £10 you can stay in the premier inn in coventry's town centre or to be honest the Coventry Hill Hotel just up the road from the Allesley hotel is by far much better value. If you value your health, stay somewhere else, even if for one night only!!!

Lazy disrespectful rude staff in an equally horrid environment! Enough said I think

Herts
Reviewed 8 March 2010

A group of colleagues and I were booked into this hotel for the Spring Fair at the NEC for which it was thankfully not too far away. We all recieved our door passes and the receptionist was very friendly. However it went downhill fast after that. I found my way to the room and as I opened the door the smell hit me. The en-suite wa rank, it stank to high heaven and there were hairs around the basin, dead flys on the windowsill and the shower ceilng looked as if it were about to fall in. I went back into the ''room'' and noticed small black objects by the skirting and first I thought these were mouse dropping but it was o.k it was just a collection of about 30 or so dead woodlice!!!!!. The furniture was stained with cup rings and the carpet was disgusting. I went to the others in my group and some of them had already been moved. At this point wee went to dinner. One of our group had a glass of Rose only to discover that it was the last one they had as was the ''Pie of the day'' only a singular pie - this seemed odd as the restaurant was empty. We ordered our food and had to wait nearly an hour - it was only sausage and mash and pizza (which was like cardboard and actually cut one of my colleagues lips) by that point. At the end of the meal we tried to beckon over someone to order coffee but calling, tapping the glass water jug did not bring anyone over one of us had to actually get up and go over to the cluster of staff at the other side of the room and ask them to come and take the orders. After all this ''fine dining'' (on the way up in the lift we noticed that someone had written on the notice board inside the lift 'Don't eat the food it's C**P' in biro - it was a shame that we had not seen this before really. I was then moved to a different room and this was palacial by comparison. I was over the moon as there were only a few hairs in the shower??? there were however very odd brown stains all over the ceiling and brown trickles of dried liquid (goodness knows what) from the ''cornice'' area down the walls in several locations around the room. I slept very badly (not really a surprise) as there was an intermittent high pitched alarm going off for most of the night. All in all an interesting stay!

Sale
Reviewed 19 February 2010

By far the worst hotel I have stayed in,I even had to clean my own room it was dirty,shabby, and when the beds were moved, the dirt was awful,even the headboard fell of the wall and the carpets had staines all over it. We later found out the most visitors had paid £25 per night and ours was £41per night and we stayed for 5 nights, never again be warned.

Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Northwest
Reviewed 7 February 2010

Well, what can I say? Just got back from staying one nigh in the Allesley Hotel Birmingham, and the only saving grace was that we only needed to stay one night! On arrival at the hotel, from the outside, it looks just like it does in the pictures- a sort of 70's council estate. Once inside, the reception area was dated but clean, and the girl on reception was quite pleasant. When we first walked in our room, the first thing we noticed was the brown stains on the ceiling tiles, and quite a number of them! On further investigation we found hairs on the bed covers and in the shower pan, the glass bathroom shelf had just been wiped around with toothpaste marks under the glasses. Then we noticed the used tissue and the previous guests charge card still on the bed side table! The room had been half cleaned at a guess, but no attention was paid to detail.
I went to reception to complain, and the receptionist was quite helpful in changing us to a new room. The new room was slightly bigger, and was mostly clean if you can look past the dirty coffee cup and plate on the dresser and the sock under the bed. The roof however was gross! Where the previous room had some brown mould / damp patches this one was COVERED in them! Lying in bed at night I counted no less than 70 separate patches which were all over the ceiling! It was also very warped, and looked like it wasn't going to last much longer before falling in on someone!
I had figured the first room we'd been given had been unfortunate but the second just confirmed that the cleaning staff don't give a damn, and the management either a) don't care, or b) don't have the funds to do up the rooms at present, otherwise I'm sure they would have done something by now!
Other guests have mentioned the smell of damp - personally, we didn't notice anything on our visit, but the windows to both the rooms had been left open on arrival presumably to air out any such smells before our arrival. The TV worked, and the shower was pleasant. Had I read these reviews before booking then I'd have stayed elsewhere. The hotel we stayed at last time was twice the price at £59 for the night but it included breakfast, and I just wish we'd gone back there. We know it's clean, and they deserve the repeat business. The published room rate was £69 I believe for the double room at the Allesley - we paid £29 , booking in the last 24 hours before staying, Conclusion: If you want a CHEAP room, stay here (as long as you don't pay any more than £30 for a double). If, like me, you're an occasional traveller staying overnight for an event at the NEC then go elsewhere, pay proper money and treat yourself. It's not worth the heartache!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
beduff1, Hotel Manager at Allesley Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2010
The hotel is in the process of decorating the bedrooms and Housekeeping department is under review by the hotel.
UK
Reviewed 2 February 2010

Paid £15 for a single room - excellent value really.
Yes, the hotel is very tired, and a bit grotty and could do with a spring clean, but the room was overall pretty clean; the bed wasn't the comfiest but it wasn't bad...
Had a meal in the restaurant and was pleasantly surprised - it was very tasty indeed (ok, so it was only bangers and mash)
So, will stay there again as it is such good value for money - the Coventry Hill hotel up the road is slightly more modern, but starts at £29, so it's a non-brainer

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
beduff1, Hotel Manager at Allesley Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2010
Thank You for your positive response. The hotel is in the process of decorating all bedrooms over the next 6 months