“Bit faded but nice”

Days Hotel Coventry
Ranked #27 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I'm in Coventry for work quite a bit at the moment so this is the 2nd hotel I've tried. Its cheap and a bit faded, but the room was big, clean and comfortable, the staff are lovely and helpful and if you order from the Indian menu, the food is good. Free breakfast is also a good thing! I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Days Hotel Coventry

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Located an easy 10 minute stroll from the centre of town and with rates that appear reasonable, this should be a cheap n cheerful W Midlands base. First impressions of the hotel are not good. The whole building looks like it could do with a power wash, fresh paint, and new signage. However, the welcome at reception was warm and personable. The lobby is modern, if bland, but has a small bar and a large flat screen TV. The decor throughout though is twee and chintzy. The room itself was a good size and came with a number of features that I'm sure are of use to many: an iron and ironing board, a trouser press, tea and coffee making, a hairdryer, a heated towel rack. The hotel claims to have wifi but each time I attempted to connect, either the signal was too weak, or the connection was too slow, or the service was unavailable, or something was wrong. Really not good enough in this day and age particularly when one is travelling on business. In addition, the large double bed was lumpy and there were no blackout curtains. The dividing walls that are paper thin (I could hear every word of normal-volume conversation in the next room as well as everybody coming and going in the corridors as there was about an inch open space under the door). As the room I had faced east (directly above the parking lot), when the sun came up the room was flooded with light. This resulted in one of the worst night's sleep ever. There was a problem with the shower hose leaking water all over the floor of what has got to be one of the tiniest bathrooms I have ever seen. The toilet seat was broken and the heated towel rack was barely attached to the wall. The real deal breaker with regard to this hotel though was the insulting manner with which I was treated when a student came to visit me (I was at a university conference). I understand it when hotels prohibit overnight non-paying guests, but to prohibit an interview in a hotel room at 8pm because it is "a residential neighbourhood" implies an impropriety that was as unjustified as it was embarrassing. This was my first experience of a Days Hotel and it is my last.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My first impression of the hotel was that the girl at the reception desk was very friendly and helpful, she even gave us the Wifi password (always had to ask before. And it worked well, no problems there). The room itself seemed a little dated but clean, the bed was very comfy. There were a couple of minor things that could've been improved- there was a dripping tap in the bathroom, and the only light in the bedroom was by the bathroom door, which meant we didn't really have any light by our beds. Some people might also find the traffic noise a bit much, but in all fairness, that's hardly unexpected given the location. As we were only staying two nights none of these things overly concerned me, although I might have asked for a lamp if I had been there longer.
The breakfasts were nice, especially the croissants, and you could get enough to fill up on. You do have to pay more for a cooked breakfast, but I don't think that's entirely surprising for a hotel like Days (you get more included than at a certain other chain hotel, who charge you just for a bowl of cereal). We also had dinner one night, and the food was okay, although slightly overdone in a couple of cases. Overall, decent enough place to stay for a couple of nights.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Hadn't realised that breakfast was included - nice surprise but you pay extra if you want a cooked one. The continental was lovely though - super fresh croissants, plenty of choice etc etc
There is a restaurant and bar. Comfortable reception area. Very very helpful staff. Room very clean and equipped with hairdryer, iron, ironing board and trouser press!! It was a bit noisy at night - outside with a few people shouting - wasn't sure if it as guests or staff but all in all great value for money.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 June 2014

One of the beds was broken, flush broken, filthy shower curtain, smelt of mould, menu all crusty,dangerous car park. Sheets and towels were clean. Water tasted odd. Water too hot to use. Breakfast was surprisingly good.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

After having travelled six hours I was relieved to hear the receptionist say we could order food from the restaurant and take it to our rooms. (She said they offer room service for a fiver too if we didn't want to hang around) After waiting to be seen at the bar for fifteen minutes we eventually ordered. Whilst paying a manager came over and told me off saying we couldn't do that - and that the receptionist isn't the bar manager. Needless to say, I took my money out of the woman's hand, returned to the group and advised we all head into town. Absolute joke!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We usually stay in 5 star hotels although have stayed at other budget chains. We stayed here for one night whilst having our home re-modelled. The hotel is very convenient for the city centre (maybe a ten block walk) and the staff are friendly. Our room was basic (which was to be expected) although clean. There were however a number of issues: (1) when I laid my hand on the toilet roll holder it fell off the wall (2) There had been a leak that affected the ceiling in the bathroom (lots of nasty looking marks) (3) The bath was far too small (I could not lie down and I am only small!) (4) The bath grouting needed re-doing (5) The toilet made terrible noises after flushing (6) The bedside lamp (there was only one and this was to light the whole of the bedroom) was tatty and needs replacing (7) There was only one bedside lamp and no overhead light except outside the bathroom (8) The furnishing around the hotel (outside the rooms) need replacing and the carpet is very worn in places (10) Even though I had paid for a continental breakfast and asked to take it away as I had to go to work I wasn't allowed! (It had to be eaten on the premises which seems very old fashioned in this day and age of "to go" breakfast and high levels of service). However, the beds were clean, there was plenty of hot water and the TV was fine so it was okay for one night. I would not book to stay there again

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not facing the street as the traffic is very noisy (maybe there isn't dou...