“Very Surprised 8/10”

Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Very Surprised 8/10”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I've stayed at this hotel many times before, I had moved away from Coventry last year but it was nice to visit the city and stay at the Brooklands. At first I was a little weary about booking the hotel as the last time my wife and I had such a bad experience there. But we booked it and on arrival it looked like improvements had been made to the front of house. Clean and tidy with plenty of Parking. We were greeted by a gentlemen behind the reception, he seemed a little confused when I told him we had a reservation for one night. Once we got the key we headed to the room. Well the rooms haven't been refurbished for many many many many years. We were in room 24, very dark and very basic, Shame really as the room has potential. The carpet was badly worn and dull but looked clean. The Bed was very uncomfortable. There was your normal hotel room tea, coffee, colour tv, hair dryer. (Not very good) Basic clean bathroom and I was surprised there was no mould around the bath. I always rate a hotel on that and the Brooklands scored highly on that point. No mould mines clean air in the room. The hotel has a quiet bar area and sometimes you have to go looking for a member of staff to serve you. We didn't have an evening meal at the hotel but we did have breakfast. Very very nice indeed. I had a lovely cooked fresh English breakfast with fresh tea and plenty of toast to feed an army. Overall the hotel in my mind has come along way and although it had dropped in standards, the new management seems to be putting things right. Would I stay here again?? YES!! Would I recommend the hotel?? Maybe!! As long as the hotel keeps to the path their on, it should be a great hotel again and I look forward to trying the Brooklands Grange Hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

Not 5 five but the staff are !! The hotel is very welcoming and thou not five star great value for the price. The hotel is clean with large rooms. The food is loverly with service being number one . The staff never stop always ready to please. Great value , Great service at a Great price . There will be a 3rd Visit. If passing give it a try I travel a lot and find it hard to find somewhere comfortable and relaxing ,, A 45 very close by for he airport

• Stayed June 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2013 via mobile

Brill friendly atmosphere. Spotless rooms, cleaned daily, restaurant and chef different class. Standard? At the top!

:-)

8 guys staying here working away from home, very accommodating and helpful. Nothing was a problem.

Will be back if within touching distance!

• Stayed June 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We held our wedding reception here and so glad we did! The 3 course meal was excellent and so was the cooked breakfast. Helen who organised everything did a first class job, even arranging for a barrel of Old Hookey behind the bar, which was thoroughly enjoyed. Nothing was too much trouble. The tables were laid out beautifully and ALL of the guests had a great day. A special mention for Paula who did everything she could to make the day go smoothly. Most of the guests spent the night there and were pleased with their rooms. The bridal suite was perfect. We don't have a negative comment to make. We wouldn't hesitate to stay again and are already planning a birthday weekend!

Room Tip: Recommend the bridal suite and Room 37 opposite.
Leamington Spa
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We stayed here to attend a wedding reception and stayed over with many friends. Must say for a small independent Hotel it was very well run. I must disagree with the previous review and say our room was very clean and well presented, and we had a very good nights sleep. The wedding dinner was hot and tasty. Staff were a bit thin on the ground but then again we never waited long at the bar. The breakfast was plentiful and tasty.

Room Tip: We had a room on the ground floor towards the end and it was a lot quieter than others over the bar...
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Stayed here for a wedding. Lovely clean hotel. Brilliant friendly staff who go out of their way to help. Excellent choice of breakfast which was cooked beautifully. We recently stayed at an expensive hotel and this hotel was much better and much cheaper. Ignore the negative reviews. Would definitely stay here again and would recommend.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I stayed here whilst on business at the NEC... The hotel you stay in is nothing like their website! My room was dirty, the carpet so grubby I didn't want to take my shoes off!, the bathroom cleanish but with peeling wallpaper, the towels so small and hard they were pointless, the window mouldy and over looking the kitchen.... Also my room was above the bar so very noisy, very late.... Food was not good either, over cooked and tasteless.... My steak was so tough I couldn't cut it.... Oddly however one member of staff was a super little, efficient and friendly pocket rocket.... And the wine very nice..... Eeven though its quite cheap, I would be far happier at a premier inn

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business