“We want to move in!!”

Ranked #12 of 586 Restaurants in Coventry
Price range: US$4 - US$32
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cafe
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled in the secluded courtyard of 2Tone Village this newly refurbished family run cafe & restaurant provides good food, good times and great service.Home of the Jerk Sausage 2Tone Cafe offers all day breakfast, and more, including Caribbean meals. The restaurant offers an enticing menu of good 'home' style cuisine for those new to Caribbean food and the connoisseur.2Tone Village where the stars of 2Tone are often seen dining, jamming or generally hanging out. Please check our website for open times of the Cafe & Restaurant and for up to date menus and events.
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Superb service, gorgeous Caribbean food. Old reggae in the background. Choice of platters if you're not sure what to have. I wasnt made to feel uncomfortable when I asked about some of the unfamiliar food. Drinks are superb too. Wine and spirits are priced very low. They could have chosen to charge a lot more but haven't. It doesn't seem the kind of place where you would go to get drunk anyway. Puddings were stunning. I wanted to faceplant my pineapple and coconut soaked rum pie. We WILL be back

AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Hi there

We are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and of course the food and particularly the puddings!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Simmer Down soon.

Angela & Alph

There are newer reviews for 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Me and my fiancé visited Simmer down with our Group on voucher. As soon as we entered we were greeted with welcoming arms by the lady, who also sat us down, taken our order, and was more than happy to talk us through the menu if unsure of anything. I ordered the Ackee and salt fish starter which was bang on! I then ordered the oxtail and butterbeans with rice and peas for mains, which in all honesty was amazing. We were visited between courses for a laugh and a giggle and to check if everything was okay, so it added to the home from home feel that came with the experience. Then came the show stopper, the warm ginger cake which I laced in rum cream. The lady was quick to tell me she didn't hold back on the rum, and she wasn't lying! The meal was then finished by a visit from the chef, to talk about the food we ate, his Jamaican heritage, and the wonders of white rum!

Overall, I couldn't knock a single thing. Usually when I visit a restaurant I assure the staff that I'll be back, but have no intention of doing so. But when I said to lady and gentleman at simmer down that I'd be back, I wasn't lying.

Finally, to the lady and gentleman in charge, thank you so much for a wonderful experience! See you soon.

1  Thank CalDonovan

Hi there

Many thanks for taking time out to write such a positive and thorough review of our restaurant, we are so glad you and your fiance enjoyed your visit, apologies again that I got a bit carried away with the rum :)

Hopefully we will "see you soon"

Angela & Alph

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We were greeted with a warm welcome and promtly seated. Staff were very friendly, which combined with the homely decor, immediately made me feel at home! It was especially enjoyable that staff took the time to converse; something which unfortunately is becoming unheard of. I thoroughly enjoyed all 3 courses of my meal, most off all desert. I will happily return, knowing i will not be disappointed. I would recommend simmer down to all!

1  Thank tonijade
AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Hello

Many thanks for writing a such a glowing review and recommendation of our restaurant we are so glad you felt at home as that is exactly how we want people to feel.

We hope to see you again real soon.

Angela, Alph & the Simmer Down Family

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We came here with such high expectations, particularly upon reading the glowing reports upon trip-advisor, however we left quite saddened & disappointed but feel with a few tweaks this venue really could shine. That said, the positives are; we received a brilliantly friendly welcome, the attitude of all the Staff couldn't have been more upbeat, polite or welcoming, but the service was equally incredibly slow, which became very frustrating. Whilst we appreciate fresh, home cooked food takes time to prepare & deliver, the waiting-times were beyond long, which actually became quite irritating. The decor is very basic & we feel the term "restaurant" should be very loosely applied; this venue really is definitely more of a cafe & despite it's best efforts should market itself as exactly that or at least improve the interior & service in terms of efficiency in order to achieve restaurant status. The mutton with rice & peas priced at £8.50 per head was exceptionally delicious & flavoursome & very authentic too, however, the dish was distinctively void of meat & actually consisted of more sauce than meat & we couldn't help feel we had been served the back-end of the pot, which was disappointing, but what we did sample was really very good. The Bob Marley background music certainly created the expected Jamaican/Caribbean vibe, although some interior design improvements would also help achieve that; but the atmosphere was definitely very relaxed & informal, which was pleasant & enjoyable. I'd definitely return for takeaway if the meat-to-sauce proportions were to be addressed & improved upon, but we probably wouldn't return unless the decor was refurbished & the efficiency regarding the service improved. In conclusion, it's a fab start & we wish them every success but just feel that with some improvements this venue really could shine.

Many thanks for taking time out to write a review of our restaurant we are really sorry that you left "quite saddened & disappointed " we do try our best to meet our customers expectations and we are disappointed when customers leave not fully satisfied..

We are aware that our service in terms of efficiency is not brilliant but it is something we are working on and hopefully if you visit us again you will be able to notice a change.

Angela, Alph & The Simmer Down Family

Reviewed 17 February 2014

After seeing this restaurant appearing high on trip advisor we looking forward to a great night. While the staff were friendly and the decor homely, the portions were very small. Over all the quality of the caribbean food was good, but the english steaks very poor. We enjoyed our evening but will not become regulars.

Hello

Thank you for taking time out to write a review of our restaurant but I am very sorry that we did not live up to your expectation, but glad that you thought the quality of our Caribbean food was good and happy that you enjoyed your evening.

We do hope that we will see you again sometime.

Angela, Alph & the Simmer Down Family