“Heat needs turning up at Simmer Down!!!” 3 of 5 bubbles

2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 564 Restaurants in Coventry
Price range: US$4 - US$30
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican, Cafe
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Nestled in the secluded courtyard of 2Tone Village this newly refurbished family run cafe & restaurant provides good food, good times and great service.Home of the Jerk Sausage 2Tone Cafe offers all day breakfast, and more, including Caribbean meals. The restaurant offers an enticing menu of good 'home' style cuisine for those new to Caribbean food and the connoisseur.2Tone Village where the stars of 2Tone are often seen dining, jamming or generally hanging out. Please check our website for open times of the Cafe & Restaurant and for up to date menus and events.
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Heat needs turning up at Simmer Down!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

"Heat needs turning up at Simmer Down!!!" Not in terms of the spiciness of the food but in terms of the quality of the overall execution & delivery of the dishes & the efficiency of service! Wonderfully friendly service though, which was great, but not so good when it seems that they think they can trade that for timely-efficiency! Waiting over fifteen minutes for our initial drinks order & over forty five minutes for our main courses is way too long & simply unacceptable & no amount of smiling & good will or can ever compensate for that. The food was good, not great, just good & nothing extra special than what you'd expect from a take away service! It's a small, very intimate environment; not in terms of romantic but in terms of an environment not so very private from other diners & it's not the most stylish environment either but it seemed impeccably clean. We won't be dashing back anytime soon unless we learned of improvements.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank AMJACINTA
AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Sorry it has taken so long to respond to your review, we thank you for taking the time to share your opinion of our restaurant and sorry that you were less than happy, we try our best to please all our customers but admit that sometimes we get it wrong, so we apologies for your excessive waiting time, I can assure you that we do not think that we can trade friendly service for " for timely-efficiency". We are constantly looking for ways to improve our efficiency but with a small team and limited space it is difficult.

We do hope that your will give us another try one day.

Angela, Alph & the Simmer Down Family

• Polish first
“Great food and really welcoming. ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Wow. What a great, small restaurant. Tucked in the 2 tone village, it's a hidden gem. Loved my meal and the staff were so welcoming, felt like they were old friends. Food was great and presented well.

Food is traditional and really well cooked. While the menu is limited, it's worth trying. I had the curried mutton and it was really nice. It is hot and spicy, but it doesn't overpower your taste buds.

The pudding I tried was perfect and the rum cream was unbelievable. Far more rum than cream, it took my head off. A power punch of a pudding.

I can't recommend this place enough. Cost, ambiance, food and service all work together for a great evening out. I can't wait to go back. The staff really make this place work and you can taste the passion in the food.

1 Thank Paul C
Coventry, United Kingdom
“We want to move in!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Superb service, gorgeous Caribbean food. Old reggae in the background. Choice of platters if you're not sure what to have. I wasnt made to feel uncomfortable when I asked about some of the unfamiliar food. Drinks are superb too. Wine and spirits are priced very low. They could have chosen to charge a lot more but haven't. It doesn't seem the kind of place where you would go to get drunk anyway. Puddings were stunning. I wanted to faceplant my pineapple and coconut soaked rum pie. We WILL be back

• 5 of 5 bubbles
AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Hi there

We are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and of course the food and particularly the puddings!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Simmer Down soon.

Angela & Alph
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My new favourite restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Me and my fiancé visited Simmer down with our Group on voucher. As soon as we entered we were greeted with welcoming arms by the lady, who also sat us down, taken our order, and was more than happy to talk us through the menu if unsure of anything. I ordered the Ackee and salt fish starter which was bang on! I then ordered the oxtail and butterbeans with rice and peas for mains, which in all honesty was amazing. We were visited between courses for a laugh and a giggle and to check if everything was okay, so it added to the home from home feel that came with the experience. Then came the show stopper, the warm ginger cake which I laced in rum cream. The lady was quick to tell me she didn't hold back on the rum, and she wasn't lying! The meal was then finished by a visit from the chef, to talk about the food we ate, his Jamaican heritage, and the wonders of white rum!

Overall, I couldn't knock a single thing. Usually when I visit a restaurant I assure the staff that I'll be back, but have no intention of doing so. But when I said to lady and gentleman at simmer down that I'd be back, I wasn't lying.

Finally, to the lady and gentleman in charge, thank you so much for a wonderful experience! See you soon.

1 Thank CalDonovan
Hi there

Many thanks for taking time out to write such a positive and thorough review of our restaurant, we are so glad you and your fiance enjoyed your visit, apologies again that I got a bit carried away with the rum :)

Hopefully we will "see you soon"

Angela & Alph
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brilliant food and courteous staff, highly recommend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

We were greeted with a warm welcome and promtly seated. Staff were very friendly, which combined with the homely decor, immediately made me feel at home! It was especially enjoyable that staff took the time to converse; something which unfortunately is becoming unheard of. I thoroughly enjoyed all 3 courses of my meal, most off all desert. I will happily return, knowing i will not be disappointed. I would recommend simmer down to all!

1 Thank tonijade
AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Hello

Many thanks for writing a such a glowing review and recommendation of our restaurant we are so glad you felt at home as that is exactly how we want people to feel.

We hope to see you again real soon.

Angela, Alph & the Simmer Down Family