“Average food, poor service”
Review of Le Gusta Oven and Bar - CLOSED

Le Gusta Oven and Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I work on campus at Warwick and although Le Gusta is probably the nicest place to eat, that doesn't really say much as the rest of the choices are generally poor.
The food is average for the price, although the chef managed to burn our garlic doughballs twice on one occassion, leaving us without food for 40 minutes, which made us worryingly late for the cinema (they were taken off the bill in the end though). In that case the staff were apologetic, but in most cases they are inattentive and sometimes just rude. I also get the impression they don't particularly want student diners and would prefer the theatre crowd, which isn't a good attitude to take when you are on a University campus!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My friend are both studying part time here and had arranged to meet for coffee. I arrived early and was hungry after lectures and thought, why not try in here. This place is lovely! It is spacious and inviting with friendly service.

Our waitress was fab! Not only was she attentive but she gave excellent tips on the menu, which had me changing my choice from the Pie of the day dish and joined my friend in having the Confit Duck in Brioche bun, with chunky chips and salad. I have to say, that I had reservations as had not had this combination before and she admitted she was the same when it was put on the menu until she tried it.

I have to say that we were both stunned - it was delicious and we have already planned to go back!

This would be a great treat if you are planning to visit the Warwick Arts Centre.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We tried Le Gusta on a Saturday night - ourselves, son and two student friends. I have to admit to being somewhat disappointed. The restaurant is within Warwick Arts Centre. We have eaten in previous incarnations of Le Gusta, and generally have been very happy. Not so this time.....

It was extremely empty - there was a complete lack of atmosphere
The menus we were handed were only partly representative of what was on the menu at the door; much more limited and fairly standard fare - pizzas, various kinds of chicken, lasagna, fish cakes - nothing really to wow, though reasonable value. The sea bass fish cakes with sweet chilli dip came with something much more akin to salsa.
Our waiter was frustratingly inattentive despite the lack of customers
The asked for breadsticks, to keep us going before arrival of the mains, were forgotten (but were still on the bill)
Two of the orders were incorrect
We were not asked if wanted desserts and decided we'd forego the opportunity fearing they would either fail to come, be wrong, or disappoint.

Our over-riding sense was that we weren't particularly welcome and that our waiter couldn't really be bothered - our failure to leave a tip was, I'm afraid, a fair reflection of how we valued the service.

Sorry, Le Gusta, this is my first bad review. When we next come to the Arts Centre we'll eat elsewhere The Arts Centre is a great place with some interesting shows - on this Saturday night you didn't do it justice.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

We go here quite frequently - either pre or post film or show. The pizzas are the best in town, and a consistently delicious standard.

Service is always very friendly and efficient. The team is great.

My only 2 recommendations to the restaurant is, Firstly, too turn the blinkin' background music off. It's not necessary and is more of an intrusion than anything. Added to that - music is a very personal choice, and what I like - others probably don't. Secondly, bearing in mind this is a pre- concert / show/ film venue - put a clock up on the wall. If you do it for no one else - do it for me. I feel as if I am being rude when I look at my watch or mobile to check the time.

Food and service though - always wonderful.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

As a former University lecturer, I have a strong affinity with many aspects of the wonderful Arts Centre of which this restaurant forms a part. The restaurant has been through a number of changes and transformations, and at first sight it looks quite a sophisticated spot. However, unfortunately the internal architecture lets it down as it is very open and can be very noisy (even with only a few people there). Nevertheless, it offers a good and varied menu and the food is usually of excellent quality. On previous visits the staff appeared to be students or similar, and they were all very well trained, friendly, and efficient. Now some of the staff are older, and some seem to have less idea about modern customer service. (this does not apply to all). We were initially somewhat concerned about a rather haphazard order-taking process in which a couple of young lads who came after us were served almost immediately, while we were still waiting, and then to be addressed by the older woman, who seemed to be in charge(?) as "me dear" and "me ducks" was more than a little disconcerting. However once the order was taken, we were then served throughout, by helpful, charming and friendly staff, and apart from the noise, once again, thoroughly enjoyed the experience.