Best Western Plus Coventry Windmill Village Hotel Golf & Spa
Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed for one night on business, and would defnitely come back for leisure.

I will get the negatives out there first however. I stayed in the main hotel building in a double room. The room was very small (significantly so if compared to e.g. a local Premier Inn) and felt fairly dated. I struggled to get set up in a comfortable fashion to work on the laptop as it is quite a small desk area. There was only one bed-side table. Room was kind of stuffy (I don't think the windows were open much judging by their state).

The positives were frankly suprisingly good food, a very pleasant pub area (Cellar Bar) with a good pint and helpful staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank bfg_hightower
Write a ReviewReviews (1,016)

Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very pretty from the outside and a hidden gem amongst some of the other hotels in the area.

The room is spacious and reasonably well appointed. Though the walls are paper thin and can hear everything from next door, which isn't great.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Sandra T
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I have just got back from having an excellent Ultimate Spa break at Windmill Village this weekend and cannot fault any part of the weekend. My sister and I surprised our mother for her 60th birthday and the package we paid for was excellent value for money and well worth a return trip. We had excellent service from all the staff who helped us set up our bedroom with balloons, cake and banners before mother went in. Food was prompt and delicious for lunch, dinner and breakfast. The leisure team helped us settle in to the spa and helped with our luggage. The facilties are excellent and the gym, spa and pool area immaculately clean. Our family room was nicely laid out with well thought out additions. It was so nice to have a weekend off and be pampered! This wasn't our first stay at Windmill as I got married there in December 2008 and Im glad to say the standards have got even higher since then. We will definately be returning if we can convince all three husbands to stay at home with the children again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Katie H
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The rooms in the older part of the complex,in the older building are very comfortable although you might want to avoid the rooms at the front as, when you open your window there is a fairly constant roar from the traffic on the main Birmingham road outside. The dining room has nice views over the golf course outside and the spa is well equipped and maintained. Our problem was with the difficulty staff face with a packed house on a Saturday night. We were there to celebrate and engagement and shared the space with guests from a wedding and a large party of golfers holding their own competition. The restaurant staff simply could not cope. The noise levels were horrendous s couples, families shared the room with drunken, shouting golfers. The bar staff tried to deal with queuing wedding guests , orders from the restaurant, heavy drinking golfers and at times the one membe of staff actually behind the bar looked close to tears. When we went in for dinner, it was an hour before we managed to get a drink and the staff admitted that they were unable to deal with the number of diners. All the staff were polite and professional under a great deal of pressure but the management knew how many people would be there and had not provided enough staff. We were compensated for a very frustrating experience by being offered free wine which we gratefully accepted . Breakfast was well cooked but not hot and the same staff performed admirably. As a golfer myself who has been to several similar events at Marriott and De Vere hotels, I don't understand why the large golf party were not give a private function room. I would not go again unless I could be sure either the management had sorted out enough staff or had told me in advance how busy they would be.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank LargelyMonk
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I Booked a Spa one night break for me and my partner ,we arrived at 4.45 pm on the Saturday to check in and were asked what time we would like to Dine ,we asked for 7.30pm we were told the Restaurant was really busy but eventually the Receptionist agreed we could Dine at 7.30 .We got to our room and within minutes the Receptionist was on the phone to say we could be seated at 7.30pm in the Restaurant but wouldn't get served until 9.00pm .So we had no choice but to eat in The Cellar Bar ,it was cold and noisy as there had been a Golf Tournament on that afternoon ,we had our meal and stayed on for Drinks .The food in The Cellar was average and nothing special and the Drinks very expensive . We did have an enjoyable day on the Sunday and enjoyed our treatments and the facilities provided .

Room Tip: Make sure to reserve a seat in the Restaurant early to be sure of getting a seat .
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mikejo5
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Stayed at this hotel as the coach driver for a group who were visiting places around the midlands.
Our stay was for one week 2nd to 6th September 13.
The Hotel has fantastic grounds with wonderful views over its golf course. It is on a very busy dual carriageway with no where really close by to walk to if you wanted a change of scenery, there were no issues with road noise.
I thought the staff throughout were excellent from front desk to restaurant. I was in an outside courtyard room single bed with large wardrobe and plenty of drawer space, it would have been nice to have had air con but fans were available if requested. There are a lot of cobblestones around the hotel an a few slopes so be wary if a bit unstable on your feet. As advertised it does have excellent fitness facilities and a very good sized indoor pool even if it was quite warm. We had a set menu each day which I found to be very good I could not comment on the main menu. Breakfast was very good with plenty of variety for continental or full English. The only issue I have about the evening meal was the lack of staff to serve, it seems the hotel was running on a shoe string with restaurant. The free internet was a bonus even in the outside rooms. I think the hotel did well to cope with us all.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank escort
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed here for three days at end of August. We were given a room in a block of six rooms separate from the main hotel.
I'll get the bad points out of the way first : The room was small and quite dark with dark wood furniture and dark wooden doors which didn't help. The internal bathroom was large but poorly laid out so there was a lot of wasted floor space in the middle of the room. Oddly the toilet did not have a lid! The carpet in the room was very dirty and generally the room could do with a re-furb. The bed was very soft and the headboard had a nasty smell to it. We did ask to be moved but the hotel receptionist told us the hotel was full so we stayed where we were.
On the first day our room was cleaned the cleaner didn't wash the cups, clean the toilet or empty the bin. On the second day everything was fine so perhaps we had a different cleaner?
On the plus side, parking for the rooms in this block is directly outside and the rooms were quite, being away from the main hotel.
Dinner and breakfast are served in the restaurant which has lovely views over the golf course. The hotel has an indoor pool, steam room and sauna which are free to use for hotel guests.
Breakfast is the usual buffet style with plenty of choice although I was disappointed with the quality of the sausages and the scrambled eggs were tasteless.
Dinner was very good with a choice of four starters and six mains. There is also a reasonable choice of wines
The restaurant supervisor Nicky was outstanding, being helpful and remembering us each evening and really went out of her way to make us feel welcome.
The hotel was very busy whilst we were there with two weddings on the Thursday and Friday and a German football team also staying.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course. The receptionist told us these are very nice
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SparkyMark56
John H, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Coventry Windmill Village Hotel Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

I would like to thank you for your comments concerning your stay at our Hotel, all feed back is greatly recieved to ensure we can improve on areas which require attention.

Here at our Hotel we are always striving to ensure guest satisfaction is at its highest and I can assure you your comments will be passed through and actioned so we can keep improving our service.

Again I would like to thank you for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Village Hotel Coventry
Ramada Hotel & Suites Coventry
Coombe Abbey Hotel
Coombe Abbey Hotel
#3 of 39 in Coventry

Been to Best Western Plus Coventry Windmill Village Hotel Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!