“House of Horrors!!”
Review of Bubbenhall House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coventry
Bubbenhall House
Ranked #12 of 25 Coventry B&B and Inns
Cheshire
“House of Horrors!!”
Reviewed 23 November 2012

On the plus side, very impressed with the location, driveway and building all of which are imposing and beautiful. Wendy gave us a very warm welcome (roaring fire in the hall) and was very hospitable and helpful, recommending places to eat etc. My room was very spacious and well equipped, the bed was very comfy, and the sheets were clean and crisp, pillows comfy etc - slept well.
On the down side the smell of animals, and stale cigaretes was very strong. (cat and dogs clearly allowed to roam everywhere). Grubby throughout is a polite term I would use. Pet hair everywhere, you are walking it into your bathroom from the carpets which were dirty. Aside from a sink full of pet hair, a dirty toilet and pet hair stuck to the smelly flannels and towels (always take your own)! My en-suite was quite clean! In my room there was a thick black line of dirt on the picture rails and the beautiful views were obscured by the very filthy windows - such a shame.
The real horror was the dining room!!! Had a quick look in the dining room mid evening just to check out where it was for the morning, popped the light on walked in and both myself and my colleague walked in some dog feaces..ugh! Having sorted out that scenario had a look at the dining tables, still in a state of shock we turned to find the tables had been set for breakfast. The table cloths presented numerous stains and crumbs, the crockery and cutlery were also dirty, even the folded napkins were stained. The salt and pepper pots were covered in long established dirt (just as I always imagine a truckers cafe to be?..sorry truckers Cafe!!). The thought of eating in there turned my stomach, and goodness knows what state the kitchen must be in, I didnt dare look although the gimpse I got from walking past the window on my way to the front door earlier gave me a pretty good indication. Upon departure we expalined to Wendy why we were unable to stay for breakfast and she was appologetic, and offered us some fruit which was kind. But really Wendy, you need to raise your game, new crockery and tablewear, restrict your pets from public areas (plus the kitchen!) and employ a team of cleaners to come in and help you deep clean your beautiful home!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank SteveJohnsonMacleod
BubbenhallHouse, Owner at Bubbenhall House, responded to this review, 2 December 2012
I would point out that at the end of October we had a full environmental health inspection and received 5 stars, they actually were in the kitchen, the fridge, the cookers etc not making a strange assumption from the driveway. Regarding smoking, it was one of your party that was smoking in our porch we have not had a smoking guest since 27 Oct who stays with us a few times a year and always smokes outside. We had someone comment on dog smell and started using plug ins which we had changed the day before to a special xmas smell and had received comments on how xmasy it smelt with the log fire. I apologised for the fact that my sons puppy and been in the dinning room, accidents do happen. I certainly am not happy that people felt that they could go into rooms that were closed, IT IS MY FAMILY HOME. The dining room would be available for breakfast at the time requested, when it would have been turned around from family use. Your loss we have won awards for our breakfasts. We have had lots of rain since our windows were done outside, inside they were all spotless as we recently bought a hand steam cleaner and had been cleaning the windows and bathrooms with it. I could go on but this really annoys me. Was it the discount you wanted!!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
midlands
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Recent one night stay. Positives - wonderful location amidst stunning scenery. Amazing house set in own grounds, real peace and quiet. Friendly owner and it was nice to meet both resident dogs being an animal person myself. Nothing was too much trouble. Negatives - first impression as you enter hallway is smell of animals which can put one off, a little grubby too. Bedrooms clean but again breakfast room clearly had'nt been vacuumed in a while. Make sure you check about the breakfast as we ended up with 'a fry up', not being used to fryed food it was a bit of a shock as most places seem to grill food these days. Hence, we left most of the breakfast, no orange juice offered. For the money £65 for the night we felt a bit miffed especially with standard of breakfast! For the star rating we expected a higher standard.
Overall an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank squeezie6
Orange juice is on the menu it has to be asked for!!
Norfolk
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My husband and I were visiting the Stoneleigh Kit Car Show with our own kit car. Wendy made us very welcome. Her home is beautiful and our room was very spacious with wonderful views of the garden. Our car was safe in her large parking area outside the house and she even said we could move it so that it was visable from our window. (We didn't though). Breakfast was generous, very tasty and Wendy couldn't do enough to make our weekend as comfortable as possible. Our only complaint is that when our friends came to join us on the second night of our stay that they got the four poster bed!
One word of caution though is mind the sleeping policemen on the approach road in Pagets Lane - vicious if you don't try to avoid them.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank StevePatNorfolk
They got the four poster because I didn't have 5ft blankets and you had requested blankets, sorry. It was a pleasure to have you as guests
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I stayed here recently while I was working in Coventry. Really enjoyed my stay here. Rooms were nice and clean bed was very comfortable couldn't fault it. Even the price was very reasonable for what you got.

I would defiantly recommend Bubbenhall house if you were looking to stay in the area

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank James_popham
Southend
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Bubbenhall is a quiet out of the way B&B with an abundantly friendly atmosphere Wendy (owner) will bend over backwards to make your stay comfortable and happy, you have only to ask. the grounds are quiet at night ( location means no traffic or any other noise) so there is no reasons why you would have a bad nights sleep. Food is excellent, freshly bought and prepared. grounds are large and beautiful. This is perfect for a get away to relax or great to stop over for business.

I have been here many times and been happy and content every time couldn't think of staying anywhere else in the area.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank JJTT228
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed 2 November 2010

Bubenhall House offered us a very big welcome! The house itself was lovley. We stayed in a large family room which was very comfortable indeed. High quality duvets and bedroom furnishings. The cosy fire in the house made our evening a delight! Our overnight stay was followed by a great hearty breakfast in the morning. We would definatley come back here again if visiting the area.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Telford,Uk
Reviewed 17 August 2010

We had a lovely 2 nights here whilst attending a wedding nearby. Wendy made us very welcome and we had a beautiful 4-poster bedroom in lovely peaceful surroundings. Breakfast was delicious both days and individual requests were dealt with easily. Nothing was too much trouble even down to tea and biscuits when we returned to pick up some belongings. An excellent spot to visit the area.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Citrus Hotel Coventry by Compass Hospitality
#2 of 7 in Kenilworth
The Oak
The Oak
#2 of 3 in Baginton

Been to Bubbenhall House? Share your experiences!