“Such a lot of history”

St. Mary's Guildhall
Ranked #6 of 77 things to do in Coventry
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: St. Mary's Guildhall is one of the finest surviving medieval guildhalls in England, and has been one of Coventry's premier historic venues for more than 600 years. First built in the 1340s for the merchant guild of St. Mary, with its magnificent medieval interiors, and fine artworks the Guildhall offers a window into Coventry's glorious past. Once a prison to Mary, Queen of Scots, and even a playhouse where Shakespeare is thought to have performed, the Guildhall provides a fascinating free experience for all ages, at the historic heart of the city. St. Mary's Guildhall also offers a memorable venue for weddings, meetings, conferences and private functions, whilst in the vaulted undercroft beneath the Great Hall is the atmospheric Godiva's cafe, offering tasty, good value snacks and refreshments.
Hervey Bay, Australia
123 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Such a lot of history”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I had no idea when I visited that one of my great grandfathers, a mayor, used to meet in the Guildhall for the Council meetings. I was astounded at the ceiling and all the history in the glass windows, and around the Great Hall.

It is a beautiful building, that thankfully did not get bombed.

Visited May 2014

Sennybridge, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“world war one remembered”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

we were guests of the lord mayor. we had a most interesting dinner(supper) of modest food of that time. tinned sardines on toast, corn beef hash and rice pudding. very nice.

Visited August 2014
Marcus L, General Manager at St. Mary's Guildhall, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
This was certainly a departure from our usual menu offer, but offered the chance to really get 'back to basics'. It showed that although the range of food available during World War I was very limited, it could still be made into something very tasty.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the food and the event during what was a very poignant week of reflection and commemoration.
Coventry, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Never Knew This was on our Doorstep”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Walk past the Guild Hall nearly every day for about a year and had never visited until last Thursday and I am so glad we did. We went as a family and found a truly amazing gem in Coventry's past. The Guild hall is so impressive and you can walk around at your own leisure. Exploring all the rooms and even climb a steep old spiral staircase which our little boy loved and found it a great adventure. There is also plenty of information about the history of the hall which I never knew. There is a lovely café there too in the old building. Great place to go and admission is free but you can leave a donation. A must see for anyone in the area.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Becki Lee Alfie T
Leicester, United Kingdom
103 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“So interesting!”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Although I have been to Coventry dozens of times I must admit I had missed this treasure. Situated opposite the rear of the old cathedral shell you really have to know its there or go exploring to find it.
There is so much history here. Hundreds of years lovingly preserved. The old furniture, or sometimes replicas made from original timbers are still there. Unlike some places, you can wander around without finding stair cases or rooms closed off. We were allowed free rein to look around without being hindered although there are people there who are only too happy to answer any of your questions. I thought it was a great way to spend an hour and its all free too, unlike the cathedral which now charges an entrance fee.

Visited July 2014
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Wow”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

The building has so much History. I went at nite with my hubby on a ghost hunt it was Amazing in fact been back three times. Well worth visiting coventry has so much history

1 Thank Mayaccnv