“First visit”

Ranked #88 of 577 Restaurants in Coventry
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Meaning 'Golden Village' this name originated from the capital city of Bangladesh, Dhaka. Sonargaon has been based in Coventry since February '86 and it has since been an Indian restaurant with a difference, emerging onto the culinary scene as the only genuine Bangladeshi restaurant in the city.
“First visit”
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

This was our first visit for a take away at this restaurant. When we walked in we were very politely greeted and made to feel welcome. The staff were very friendly and very chatty which was great. The restaurant has a lovely atmosphere and we were even given a complimentary starter. The food was plentiful and was of a high quality. We both really enjoyed our meals and will definitely return and recommend.

Coventry, England, United Kingdom
“Hard to please customers”
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

Despite the menu altering, we were assured of good food, and the service upon collection was superb.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
The food was up to usual very high standard, and the hard to please visitor, was very pleased.

1 Thank Simon C
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food, lovely atmosphere”
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

I've been here once before with colleagues and found it so good I chose to come back. I couldn't remember the name of the dish I had ordered on my previous so I asked the waiter what aubergine dishes there were. He pointed me in the direction of an aubergine and mushroom base which I had as my main. It was absolutely delicious. I can't remember the last time I ate the whole dish in a curry house. Don't be misled by the negative reviews, the portion sizes are standard for a curry house. I could easily have taken half home with me. I left half the rice but just couldn't bear to waste the lovely sauce. The lady working there (owner? ) and the gentleman on the bar/till were both very attentive and friendly and my friend and I thoroughly enjoyed the evening. This review would be 5 star but for the slightly unwelcoming "you really should have booked" mumbled under the waiter's breath as we walked in!

2 Thank Jengaroo
Coventry, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our favourite curry place!”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We tried this place when we moved to Cheylesmore 5 years and couldn't believe how friendly the waiters were! Friendly environment nice and modern yet humble decor. We have at times been given free drinks and starters. The curries are great but not necessarily better than anyone else's favourite curry house...the food is standard but what the Sonargaon does better than any other is service and they value their customers and are so friendly and chatty. We get Christmas cards and vouchers from them now! One of my favourite coventry eateries!

• Visited October 2013
Meb A, Owner at Sonargaon, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you for the kind review. I am glad your experience with us has been an enjoyable one.
The hospitality we show towards are clients isn't solely fueled by sales or recognition.
We have been in business for a very long time and it is very much a family one which has stuck together and developed a wonderful relationship with our community and clients. It gives me great pleasure that you have recognised this and were willing to share this with the TA community. We welcome your presence with us in the future. I am also happy to hear you are settling in well in Cheylesmore.
The next time you visit please do not be shy to either inform myself or my staff for any recommendations on dishes as we will endeavor to make sure you leave with a WOW factor.
Thank you again and have a lovely Christmas.

Meb Ali
Director
Coventry, United Kingdom
“End of a 24 year era”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I used to love the Sonargoan since moving back to Coventry in 1989 and, even when we moved further out from Cheylesmore, we would never think about going anywhere else to eat in or takeaway. Like some other reviews here I've found that the quality of the food isn't as good as in the past and it just isn't special to go there anymore. It used to be a regular treat at holidays and birthdays (the kids loved it) and we'd always take visiting friends and family there. We'd order takeaway a couple of times a month at least.

There used to be an older chap who I guess was the manager but I suppose he's retired now; I think that was when things started to change. In any event, the welcome just isn't there these days which is a shame. They've also taken a few of our favourite items off the menu so it makes more sense to try out other options.

The food isn't bad by any means but it is very ordinary now when it used to be outstanding. All things must pass.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Derek H
Meb A, Owner at Sonargaon, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Hello DerekH, firstly thank you for taking the time to write out a well informed review for the restaurant.
I am always happy to receive feedback from clients and to learn of ways I may improve as a Manager.

Firstly you are correct to assume that the restaurant has undergone new management. Unfortunately the previous manager is no longer with us and it has been a slow delicate process to inform the many clients that he has had the pleasure of serving and more so befriending over the entirety of his career opening the doors of the Sonargaon in the late 80's.
He is obviously sorely missed by the community and we had received great reassurance from our clients.
As his next of kin I had undertaken the responsibility of continuing his work and I would like to reassure you that although the management may have changed, our kitchen staff have not.
We are still continuing to provide quality indian cuisine prepared carefully and daily by passionate chefs. Furthermore I like to believe I still hold the same ethics and sense of good customer service and hospitality that the restaurant has been renowned for, verified through the TA community and daily clients, being as although this may be my first year as manager/owner it has been my seventh as an employee.
To sum up, due to the circumstances 'change' has been inevitable, as years go on business, substance, style and expectations will all change due to an ever growing society who's demands may 'change' as time goes on. However it has been my duty to reform but hold true to the basis of what has made the restaurant what it is today: our customers, new and old.
I am truly deeply sorry if the restaurant can not be as it once was to your recollection and I empathize.
I thank you for your years of customs with us and am happy to have been of service to you and hopefully continue to do so. However there is only one thing that I completely disagree with you on, this may very well be for you 'an end of a 24 year era' but for myself, my gracious clients and the friendly staff here who waits to greet their smiling faces as they enter through our doors,

'This is only the begining'

- Meb Ali, Director of Sonargaon