“Fresh and Fast Lunch, Friendly Pub”
Review of Red Lion

Red Lion
Ranked #8 of 54 Restaurants in Arundel
Cuisines: International, British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: I visited this restaurant with my husband and two adult children and daughter in law. We tried to find somewhere in Arundel to have lunch at 2.30 nearly everywhere was closed. This restaurant was open. The seating was not very comfortable and to be honest it did not smell very nice, but we had already ordered our drink so it was difficult to leave! I had asked for sausages and mash (but asked if the mash was made with butter - the bar person enquired and came back and said that it was made yesterday and the person who made it was not in! so he could not say! I had chips instead. So I had sausages and chips with runner beans which were cold. The sausage were not at all hot but we waited quite a while and so I did not complain. My son and daughter in law had steak and it was full of grissle and they brought the most horrible looking large mushrooms swimming in oil which dripped over the table. My daughter had a very indifferent hamburger, We felt the whole experience was bad and a waste of money I would never go there again!!!
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We happened to be passing through Arundel at lunchtime and this place displayed an attractive selection of food on their High Street frontage - so we went straight in. Friendly bar staff were very helpful in describing the meals, taking orders and in directing us into the rear family garden.

A range of real ales, many local, was available and we were told our dog would be welcome in the garden. The meals took only a short while to arrive and were interestingly laid out, delicious to eat. Attentive servers checked that everything was OK. The fish platter was particularly good.

We'd recommend this pub for its friendliness and atmosphere: it's good value for money - and the Red Lion has a great range of items on both standard and specials menus. Look out for the artificial wasps' nest hanging in the garden - it's meant to prevent real ones from bombarding diners and drinkers!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

After visiting the castle on a beautiful sunny Sunday we decided to go for a bite somewhere. When every restaurant seemed to be closing (3.30 pm) this place was the only one still buzzing with people. The kitchen is opened all day (at least on Sunday). We ordered our food and took a seat outside, after about 20 minute wait (which is perfectly normal if the food is cooked fresh) we enjoyed a properly battered fish and chips and a lovely rainbow trout fillet (which was one of the specials of the day).
Very nice, unpretentious, simple food available when you want at reasonable prices. Spot on.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

The staff are friendly & attentive, we watched the England game and they made hot dogs for everyone at half time! Best mussels I have eaten in a long time! Highly recommend it.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Food served on hot plates. Very busy but service was good tasty food. Rather noisy but friendly atmosphere

Reviewed 6 June 2014

What a lovely friendly pub!!! We had the pleasure of finding this opposite our hotel! We first popped in for a couple of drinks then went back the next day to try the food!! The burger which my husband chose was the 'best burger' he had ever had! The fish and chips were amazing too!!! The pub itself was nice and welcoming and wish we had a local like this!!!