“Very shabby, not chic”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Arundel
London
“Very shabby, not chic”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Had an overnight stay with a aTravelzoo deal, £79 for bed , breakfast and evening meal for 2.
Room in annex was very tired although everything worked and there was lots of hot water.
The lounge ,restaurant and entrance hall are in need of total refurbishment. The breakfast room was quite pleasant . The food was adequate.
Arundel is such a lovely place and the Norfolk Arms is in an excellent position.
All in all it was good value for money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
NorfolkArmsHotel, General Manager at Norfolk Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear cchampagnetaste,

Thank you for purchasing a Travelzoo voucher recently – which incidentally also included a bottle of our house wine, so even better value for money. As you will be aware from my many replies on TA we are currently in the planning stage of our proposed refurb – the application is currently with the authorities, and I am sure that when completed the Hotel will be stunning so very much look forward to being able to welcome you back.

Elizabeth d’Apice

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
South East
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Booked this hotel on the Travelzoo special offer of room for 2 including wine, dinner and breakfast for £79, for that price I didn't expect 5 star and after reading some reviews on here we were getting worried that we had made a mistake, but nothing could be further from the truth.
The staff could not have been more helpful and did everything I would have hoped for to make our brief stay enjoyable. Food in the restaurant at dinner was excellent, very well presented, served quickly and very enjoyable, even the complimentary bottle of house wine was good quality.
We had a room in the annex at the rear of the hotel, this was very quiet and had everything we needed although a little tired and in need of decoration. Bathroom had a very large bath with shower and plenty of hot water and was very clean with plenty of clean towels.
My only thing that let the room down was a dirty carpet with lots of stains, this was a cream/beige carpet which really is a bad choice of colour for a hotel room and really needs to be cleaned or replaced.
The main hotel building is very old with lots of interesting features, it's well worth spending some time looking at the old photographs in the public rooms and the assorted historic notes posted around the hotel. Lots of interesting antiques everywhere.

Room Tip: Rooms in the annex are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
NorfolkArmsHotel, General Manager at Norfolk Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Marty788,

Thank you for staying with us at the Norfolk Arms Hotel – the Travelzoo offer has been spectacular as it is such good value, and whilst now coming to an end, our rates are still extremely competitive and we continue to offer extremely good value.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your meals with us, as you know the menu is comprehensive and as well as the house wine which formed part of your offer, we have a wide selection of wines to choose from.

We are currently undertaking plans for our refurbishment programme, so whilst the quality of the rooms and public area will be vastly improved, the atmosphere and character of the hotel will not be lost.

I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations and I hope that we will see you again in the non too distant future.

GM
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here because the photos made an old listed building look really quite luxurious inside....alas....our room was quaint but in serious need of a new bed, new carpet and a complete refurb.

Check in was ok but please be aware that there is no lift for the less able guests. Our room was very big with a rather worn looking bathroom but a nice powerful shower and heated towel rail.

The bedroom was rather musty but thats to be expected in such an old building. The TV was ridiculously small and I'd expect a bigger flat screen in any hotel now days. The bed was awful....we actually burst out laughing because my boyfriend at 6ft3 didn't actually fit in it properly plus it looked and sounded as if it would collapse at any point. There were horrible blankets and the hotel really need to consider a lovely duvet and new pillows.

The following day we ventured out fie several hours and to my amazement the room wasn't touched by house keeping NOT EVEN the bed had been made.

Had a lovely evening in the bar chatting to the barman about how haunted the buildings in Arundel are.

Breakfast was adequate and the young lady serving it was really helpful with local information.

We checked out but the lady on reception was "unable" to give me back my cash deposit and insisted on putting it on my debit card and to this day the £20 has never gone back to my account. I have called the hotel twice but to no avail. I intend to pop in when I'm next in Arundel.

This hotel relies on tourists as it couldn't possibly charge the prices it does without the location and history of Arundel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank SerenityIsMine
Dear ClaranceofKent,

Thank you for staying with us recently – I am pleased you had a large room and a strong shower. I am sure that you will have seen from my many TA replies that we are now in the process of planning our refurbishment and the points which you comment on will be addressed then.

I am not sure about the blankets as we do not provide these, all our rooms have duvets – and I can only apologise that your room had not been serviced – I do hope that you informed us at Reception so that we were able to rectify this, unless of course you had returned to the hotel before the team had reached your room as they do work into the afternoon.

I am very concerned to read that the pre-authorisation of your card has not cleared your account since March – you will need to contact your bank to ascertain why as a pre-auth is a ‘virtual’ payment which falls away normally within a couple of days if not completed.

Arundel, as you say is a wonderful town, and attracts many visitors from far and wide and we hope that the town will benefit from your company again.

Bognor Regis, UK
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have recently caught the 'afternoon tea' bug and when I saw a BOGOFF voucher for this hotel I snapped it up. It was, however, very disappointing. We had a round of sandwiches each which consisted of the cheapest possible fillings - cheese and tomato and egg mayo. We had one scone each which arrived already filled with jam and cream. I use the term 'filled' loosely as it was just a smear of both. We had one slice of marble cake each. All in all a very poor selection and I'm just pleased I didn't pay the full price for it. I will not be returning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Wakeford38
NorfolkArmsHotel, General Manager at Norfolk Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Wakeford38

I am so sorry to read that you did not enjoy the afternoon tea at the Hotel having purchased a voucher on a recent offer. It is always disappointing when expectation are not met - the offer included one round of sandwiches per person, one slice of cake and one cream and jam scone and of course tea or coffee - which was pictorially illustrated on the voucher and was what we offered.

I think to be caught by the afternoon tea bug is a perfect activity - and one which I may soon adopt!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

A comfortable stay in this old hotel. Some of the decor was a little worn, but our room was comfortable, with plenty of space and a decent bathroom (could have done with more light in the bath/shower area, though). Decent breakfast, though not the best, the sausages from the local butcher being the highlight. Friendly staff.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Johntimelord
NorfolkArmsHotel, General Manager at Norfolk Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Johtimelord,

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Norfolk Arms Hotel recently, its always good when we are able to meet guests expectations and I do hope that we will see you again before too long.

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The Norfolk Arms is right in the centre of Arundel. A former coaching inn, it is a historic and interesting building with staff who just could not do any more to make you feel welcome. The waitress was humming merrily as she bustled around; reception answered all questions with a smile and endless patience, the restaurant service was polite and efficient. Nothing was too much trouble and they really made our stay.

In addition, we had a clean, comfortable room in the annex block at the back of what must have once been the former stable yard. This block nestles right against the outer bank of the Castle and the advantage is it was quiet. The room was clean, adequately furnished / supplied and the twin beds were comfortable. Everything worked, nothing was broken - always an important issue for me at any hotel because it shows care about the guests.

The excellent English breakfast is freshly cooked for you - no limp bacon curling slowly under a hot lamp somewhere - and there is a good selection of cereals and other goodies for those that prefer that option. the restaurant also serves in the evening. There is a well stocked bar with a delightfully friendly and engaging barman, This is just across from a large comfortable "salon" where you can take tea looking out over the passers by.

The car park at the rear is large enough, partly under cover and accessed through the former coaching arch. It is free to guests and it is extremely useful to have this in a popular small town to visit like Arundel with limited parking when busy. The main hotel, 30 seconds walk away from the annex across the yard, is on the very quaint High Street, so you are in the centre of everything as soon you step onto the pavement. Booksellers, antique shops, restaurants, pubs, art shops and others are plentiful nearby, together with the Farmer's Market (3rd Saturday every month). The castle entrance, town museum and River Arun are less than five minutes away; the Cathedral 10 minutes up the hill. The hotel is ideally placed to expore the town.

We will certainly be returning to this historic and friendly place with its wonderful staff.

Room Tip: The HIgh Street is not that busy, but because we were in the annex we did not see a room in the main...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dolomede
Dear Dolomede,

Thank you very much for coming to stay with us at the Norfolk Arms Hotel – I am delighted that you had such an comfortable and enjoyable visit and all that we offered at the Hotel met with such approval – it’s really good to read such positive comments and the team really appreciate it, as all too often if there is a negative it will be pointed out rather than the good things.

We really look forward to seeing you both again.

St Austell, Cornwall
Reviewed 16 April 2014

An old property with many fascinating features - including the uneven floors! The room was clean and comfortable, although some of the decor is a little dated (especially some of the coloured bathroom suites). The staff were friendly and helpful and there was a good choice at breakfast.

The location is excellent for discovering Arundel, being in the centre of this town/city. There are many restaurants within a few minutes walking distance, however, I would recommend you pre-book one if you have a preference.

Room Tip: We had room 7 which was huge and on the first floor so not really much of a view. Our daughter had...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda B
NorfolkArmsHotel, General Manager at Norfolk Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Linda B,

Thank you for staying with us at the Norfolk Arms Hotel and I am delighted to read that your
family were so comfortable and enjoyed the eccentricities of our lovely old hotel. We are a great base from which to explore the south downs - perfect for a family holiday!

I hope that we will see you again soon.

Elizabeth d'Apice
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arundel
The Swan Hotel
#7 of 7 in Arundel
Angmering Manor
Angmering Manor
#1 of 1 in Angmering

Been to Norfolk Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!