“Group booking at Norfolk Arms”
Review of Norfolk Arms Hotel

Norfolk Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Arundel
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I made a group booking for seventeen people - three nights dinner, bed and breakfast. There was no problem with room allocation and the catering was excellent. We had a private dining room and when I had to change numbers on two evenings, the hotel took it in its stride.

All staff were friendly and helpful and all of our party were delighted with the level of service. I would not hesitate to recommend the Norfolk Arms Hotel to anyone staying in this charming little town.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
NorfolkArmsHotel, General Manager at Norfolk Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Colin P

Many thanks for bringing your group to the Norfolk Arms Hotel - I am so pleased that it was a success, and it is always good when unexpected guests arrive to join you!

We hope to see you again.

Elizabeth d'Apice

There are newer reviews for Norfolk Arms Hotel

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed with a Travelzoo deal and really liked everything. Service impressed us most - personel was unobtrusive but effective, both at the reception and in the restaurant. Dinner on the first night was quite good (a free bottle of house wine was a real treat!) as well as breakfast the next morning. I've read some reviews and cannot agree that 'rooms were shabby or tired'. The main thing for us was: the room was clean and very quiet (in annexe). Do not forget that it is just a 3 star hotel! And believe us, frequent travellers, it was much more pleasant than some of a higher category. Special thanks to management team member Julio - he was so helpful and effective to help us to resolve our booking problem (our fault). His style just impressed: quiet, not talking much but definitely giving the right advise. It is people who make the place, indeed!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
NorfolkArmsHotel, General Manager at Norfolk Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear nazdeshadaLondon

Many thanks for staying with us at the Norfolk Arms Hotel – the Travelzoo deal was phenomenally popular and I am so pleased that the team, hotel and food came up to your expectations – I do hope that you will be able to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We held our wedding reception at the Norfolk Arms on the 26th April 2014 and it was a perfect day. The staff and food were excellent and they were very flexible about meeting our requirements. The main room, the Fitzalan Howard Suite, is a beautiful room and offered us a great space for a unique wedding. It offers some lovely areas for photographs, particularly on the staircase in the middle of the hotel. We didn't stay overnight and agree that parts of the hotel could be updated (we know that a refurb is planned). As it stands the hotel offers superb value for money and could not be faulted. It's great that the hotel also have a wedding/event coordinator as we were in contact with Nicky a great deal in advance and she really helped us organise and resolve any queries (she also managed to step in and resolve some problems I was having with an external company). I would thoroughly recommend this hotel as a venue.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 824JoannaA

Dear 824JoannaA,

Once again, I would like to thank you both for choosing the Norfolk Arms Hotel as the venue for your wedding. I am so pleased that it ‘was a perfect day’ - the venue looked stunning, it is the first time a couple had chosen chairs such as yours – it certainly added to the vintage feel. I am hoping we will be able to use some of the photos to show other couples as it certainly added a new dimension to the room.

Thank you for your comments regarding Nicky – she is very passionate about weddings, and will often go ‘the extra mile’.

Do come back and spend your anniversary with us – our refurb will be well underway by then – and you will be able to see that whilst updating the hotel we will have still kept the integrity of the building.

Our best wishes for a very happy future together

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Present through buy a gift included dinner which was average had been nuked in microwave, breakfast ok but would not payment£13.95 plenty of cafés in arundel serving breakfast. All staff were very pleasant from checking to severs. Room was on 4th floor ok for us but would check,as 4 flights of stairs and no lift . Room ok unless you,were over 6ft when you would hit ceiling and not be able to stand in shower. Very central location ideal for short break large car park handy to leave car in when exploring arundel.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room and location when booking
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
NorfolkArmsHotel, General Manager at Norfolk Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear cmissenden,

Thank you for staying with us recently, and I am pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay with us. The team are always appreciative of the kind comments which are made by guests staying with us.

Being an old coaching inn – our rooms do vary in shape,size and ceiling heights – we do have the more modern courtyard rooms which are on the ground and first floor and which do compensate a little for not having a lift and as you say our location cannot be bettered especially with free parking as well.

I hope that we will see you again.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Had an overnight stay with a aTravelzoo deal, £79 for bed , breakfast and evening meal for 2.
Room in annex was very tired although everything worked and there was lots of hot water.
The lounge ,restaurant and entrance hall are in need of total refurbishment. The breakfast room was quite pleasant . The food was adequate.
Arundel is such a lovely place and the Norfolk Arms is in an excellent position.
All in all it was good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
NorfolkArmsHotel, General Manager at Norfolk Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear cchampagnetaste,

Thank you for purchasing a Travelzoo voucher recently – which incidentally also included a bottle of our house wine, so even better value for money. As you will be aware from my many replies on TA we are currently in the planning stage of our proposed refurb – the application is currently with the authorities, and I am sure that when completed the Hotel will be stunning so very much look forward to being able to welcome you back.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Booked this hotel on the Travelzoo special offer of room for 2 including wine, dinner and breakfast for £79, for that price I didn't expect 5 star and after reading some reviews on here we were getting worried that we had made a mistake, but nothing could be further from the truth.
The staff could not have been more helpful and did everything I would have hoped for to make our brief stay enjoyable. Food in the restaurant at dinner was excellent, very well presented, served quickly and very enjoyable, even the complimentary bottle of house wine was good quality.
We had a room in the annex at the rear of the hotel, this was very quiet and had everything we needed although a little tired and in need of decoration. Bathroom had a very large bath with shower and plenty of hot water and was very clean with plenty of clean towels.
My only thing that let the room down was a dirty carpet with lots of stains, this was a cream/beige carpet which really is a bad choice of colour for a hotel room and really needs to be cleaned or replaced.
The main hotel building is very old with lots of interesting features, it's well worth spending some time looking at the old photographs in the public rooms and the assorted historic notes posted around the hotel. Lots of interesting antiques everywhere.

Room Tip: Rooms in the annex are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
NorfolkArmsHotel, General Manager at Norfolk Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Marty788,

Thank you for staying with us at the Norfolk Arms Hotel – the Travelzoo offer has been spectacular as it is such good value, and whilst now coming to an end, our rates are still extremely competitive and we continue to offer extremely good value.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your meals with us, as you know the menu is comprehensive and as well as the house wine which formed part of your offer, we have a wide selection of wines to choose from.

We are currently undertaking plans for our refurbishment programme, so whilst the quality of the rooms and public area will be vastly improved, the atmosphere and character of the hotel will not be lost.

I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations and I hope that we will see you again in the non too distant future.

GM

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here because the photos made an old listed building look really quite luxurious inside....alas....our room was quaint but in serious need of a new bed, new carpet and a complete refurb.

Check in was ok but please be aware that there is no lift for the less able guests. Our room was very big with a rather worn looking bathroom but a nice powerful shower and heated towel rail.

The bedroom was rather musty but thats to be expected in such an old building. The TV was ridiculously small and I'd expect a bigger flat screen in any hotel now days. The bed was awful....we actually burst out laughing because my boyfriend at 6ft3 didn't actually fit in it properly plus it looked and sounded as if it would collapse at any point. There were horrible blankets and the hotel really need to consider a lovely duvet and new pillows.

The following day we ventured out fie several hours and to my amazement the room wasn't touched by house keeping NOT EVEN the bed had been made.

Had a lovely evening in the bar chatting to the barman about how haunted the buildings in Arundel are.

Breakfast was adequate and the young lady serving it was really helpful with local information.

We checked out but the lady on reception was "unable" to give me back my cash deposit and insisted on putting it on my debit card and to this day the £20 has never gone back to my account. I have called the hotel twice but to no avail. I intend to pop in when I'm next in Arundel.

This hotel relies on tourists as it couldn't possibly charge the prices it does without the location and history of Arundel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank SerenityIsMine

Dear ClaranceofKent,

Thank you for staying with us recently – I am pleased you had a large room and a strong shower. I am sure that you will have seen from my many TA replies that we are now in the process of planning our refurbishment and the points which you comment on will be addressed then.

I am not sure about the blankets as we do not provide these, all our rooms have duvets – and I can only apologise that your room had not been serviced – I do hope that you informed us at Reception so that we were able to rectify this, unless of course you had returned to the hotel before the team had reached your room as they do work into the afternoon.

I am very concerned to read that the pre-authorisation of your card has not cleared your account since March – you will need to contact your bank to ascertain why as a pre-auth is a ‘virtual’ payment which falls away normally within a couple of days if not completed.

Arundel, as you say is a wonderful town, and attracts many visitors from far and wide and we hope that the town will benefit from your company again.

Elizabeth d'Apice

Also consider these accommodations in or near Arundel
The Swan Hotel
Arundel Park Hotel
Arundel Park Hotel
#7 of 7 in Arundel
Travelodge Arundel Fontwell

Been to Norfolk Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!