“Great staff, shame about the upkeep of the hotel”
Review of Norfolk Arms Hotel

Norfolk Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Arundel
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed here as a couple this weekend, after reading on Trip Advisor that it was the best accommodation in Arundel. Sadly this is no longer true. We had a room in the main hotel - we got lost trying to find it and were told by a member of staff we came across that staff had been told to show guests where rooms such as ours were - not even sign-posted! When we entered the room, we were very disappointed. Any character had been firmly removed from the room and it looked like it hadn't been decorated since the 1980's.
The window was a wooden sash window - which wouldn't have been a problem, except that it was rotting and covered in black mould. The net curtain also had a fair amount of mould on it too. This is not down to the hotel needing refurbishment, it means that basic maintenance and cleaning has not been carried out! I also agree with the previous reviewer who said that the rooms on the 2nd floor were too hot to sleep in.
The staff were great - bar staff (you know who you are) kept us entertained, and the reception and waiting staff were always eager to please.
As we live locally, we caught a local taxi home and the taxi driver told us that the new group that now own the hotel, took in on a fair while ago, so that is not really an excuse.
To be honest we were disappointed in the hotel which should have had loads of character and charm, but poor maintenance etc let it down. You should be thankful that you have such good staff that people can put up with it - though they shouldn't have to!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!
1  Thank Stickystuff
NorfolkArmsHotel, General Manager at Norfolk Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Stickystuff,

Thank you for staying with us. Trip Advisor reviews are always very personal to the individual posting them, and indeed to the guest who made that comment, we are the best accommodation in Arundel - and while I am extremely happy to accept this accolade, I do accept we are in need of a programme of refurbishment.

St James Hotels acquired us in March 2014 – and unlike a domestic house, it does take a little time to organise the redecoration and maintenance that the property requires, which was promised by our previous owners but did not materialise. I know that progress is currently being made.

Being an old building some of the rooms are small and consequently quite warm, and whilst yours fell into this category it must have one of the best hotel views in Arundel, in that it overlooks the Castle and some lovely private gardens.

It is always really pleasing to read that the staff were great – whilst we appreciate the limitations in which we work, we are ultimately proud of the Hotel, which as many other reviewers observe does still, despite its condition, have loads of unspoilt character and still some charm!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I booked a special deal through Travelzoo, which was an excellent price for dinner bed and breakfast. I didn't have high expections for the price I just wanted somewhere clean to stay. The staff were lovely both in the restaurant and reception.

The hotel is very dated and in need of some refurbishment. Although our bathroom was clean a working shower would have been helpful , the water just trickled out and therefore it was impossible to have a decent shower. As we only stayed for one night we were able to make do and it wasn't such a problem. I don't live far from Arundel so know the area well and the hotel is in a great location for exploring the area and visiting the castle.

Free car parking is provided and opposite the hotel is a great pub that occasionally has live music.

The food was ok but don't go expecting michelin star standards, it's your typical pub grub and not food I would normally eat, that said it was perfectly fine and served hot.

For the price we paid I was very happy however if I had full price I may feel differently.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joanne9215
NorfolkArmsHotel, General Manager at Norfolk Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Joanne 9215

Thank you for staying with us recently and I am pleased that you found the team so lovely, I am certainly very lucky with them. I was sorry to read that your shower was not working well – I do hope that you mentioned it to us, so that we were able to rectify it, we have copious quantities of hot water so it was a shame that you were unable to enjoy the shower – but the bath would have been good!

We have recently been acquired by St James’s Hotel s Group – and as you live locally you will be sure to hear of our proposed refurbishment dates, after which you must revisit us.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Fantastic location, lovely staff, especially Julio very helpful young man! Our room was at the top & it was very hot, even with the window open, so had a job to sleep. Nearly killed me walking up so many stairs. Breakfast very nice, evening meal awful. But such a beautiful setting and lovely town so was well worth the discomfort!

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Lindapring,

Thank you for staying with us, I am sorry you found the stairs a bit taxing, we do have ground floor rooms and rooms on lower levels so next time you stay with us - do request one of these. I am pleased you found the team, especially Julio so helpful and that breakfast was good - I am sorry you did not enjoy the dinner though - but its good news to know that the positives override the negatives - and we hope to see you again.

Elizabeth d'Apice

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We have just returned after spending three nights in this hotel. The pros are The location ( excellent car parking in hotel car park). Centre of Arundel. Excellent front of house staff well cooked good quality breakfasts and large soft towels. Waiting staff at breakfast were exceptional. First class service. Cons. Tired decor unkempt walkways poor small double bed mattress soft 'roller'. shabby furniture in bedroom and very poor housekeeping ( bed covered over without straightening sheets etc etc) however after complaining about the lack of housekeeping our room was cleaned to a good standard the following day. The pathways were dirty and the various rat traps located against the walls rather off putting. Dinner was average. Should we need to bring our Labrador with us next year then we will stay again but will request either twin beds or a larger firmer mattress , nevertheless the cost is not exorbitant

Room Tip: Try main hotel not annex
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tomba2
NorfolkArmsHotel, General Manager at Norfolk Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Tomba2

Thank you for staying with us recently – I am delighted you had so many ‘highs’ during your stay. I know you will have seen the various past reviews regarding the property and having recently been purchased by St James Hotels, we are awaiting a programme of redecoration/replacement of assets etc. I also apologise that housekeeping let you down, but am glad that we were able to address it on the second night of your stay. I do hope that we will see you again.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I'd have to agree with other reviewers that this establishment has become old and tired but that in itself indeed provides part of its charm! The "courtyard" motel-style room was a bit basic but more than adequate and impeccably clean with super-efficient power shower. Friendly, competent staff, especially at breakfast which we enjoyed very much... good choice on offer even Twinings tea...people do notice the small touches. I think my only criticism would be reserved for the dinner which was exceptionally bland and reminded me of school ones. Unfortunately so many pubs and chains are offering deals too nowadays, also peoples' palates have become more developed and correspondingly, expectations are that much greater. However, given that this came as part of an inclusive deal we concluded that it all represented excellent VFM so no complaints.

Room Tip: Try to get a character room in the main building.

Dear PH,

Thank you for staying with us recently – I am delighted to read that you appreciate our charm, and were comfortable and although simple, found everything was good in the bedrooms etc. I will pass on your observations regarding the dinner menu to the chef. I do hope we will see you again in the future, and again, thank you for staying and taking the time to post feedback which is always really helpful.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Also stayed here for a single night on a Travelzoo voucher. Agree totally with other reviewers - excellent location, comfortable clean room with good facilities, very enjoyable food and lovely efficient and friendly staff. Be sure to visit the amazing castle and gardens together with the nearby WWT centre.

1  Thank GODFREYSBucks
NorfolkArmsHotel, General Manager at Norfolk Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear GODFREYSbucks,

Thank you for staying with us recently, I am so pleased that the Hotel came up to your expectations and that you were comfortable, had an enjoyable stay and thought so highly of my team – it is always good to know that we are doing a good job!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Just returned from a two night Stay at this hotel which included breakfast and one evening meal
This hotel is old and looks it in parts needs a good revamp, we stayed in an annexe room the carpet was covered in animal hair which was hovered up the next morning, shower is primitive to say the least but there was plenty of hot water
Has tea coffee and biscuits in room
Evening meal was hot and good, breakfast the next morning looked very sad sat on the plate such a small portion and not the best I had however following morning the breakfast was excellent until I found what looked like a dog hair in the scrambled egg I did show to waitress who apologised.

This hotel is in a good location in the High St Arundel castle is just around the corner and well worth a visit also putting green close by and the bus service to Brighton and Worthing was excellent drivers really helpful and full of information.. also excellent Indian restaurant.
Car parking was free and plenty of room to park.
All staff were nice and helpful.
I would not stay at this hotel again as the animal hair drove me mad

Would

Room Tip: This hotels allows animals so there is dog hair it seems everywhere
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear 318Linda,

Thank you for staying with us, as you say we are very central, and its great that we have our own car park etc.

I have spoken to my housekeeper who cannot apologise enough that her team had not vacuumed your room properly prior to your arrival - and for which I apologise too, as it should certainly not have occurred. I can assure you that despite the fact that guests are able to bring their dogs to the hotel as we are ‘pet friendly’ there is no danger that any form of cross contamination can take place. The food handling staff are not permitted to ‘pet’ any animals. I have spoken with the head chef, who was on duty that morning and it would seem that what you thought was a dog hair, was in fact, a particle of the fibrous compost in which mushrooms grow. He did explain that to the waitress when she showed him, and I am sure that this would have been passed on. Never the less – it should not have occurred and for which I apologise.

I am really pleased that you found the team helpful and nice – and that you were able to enjoy some of the many facilities Arundel offers.

Elizabeth d’Apice

Also consider these accommodations in or near Arundel
The Swan Hotel
Travelodge Arundel Fontwell
Angmering Manor
Angmering Manor
#1 of 1 in Angmering

Been to Norfolk Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!