“Good hotel in a beautiful setting”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Arundel
London
“Good hotel in a beautiful setting”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This place was once a boys school and the restaurant is lined with all the boys' names, though the rest of the school has been very well converted. The setting is beautiful with a surrounding golf course, parkland, and outdoor pool. There is also a reasonable gym and indoor pool. Rooms are comfortable, though not particularly large, and breakfast is the usual Hilton standard. The restaurant provides a good range for dinner and service is friendly and swift. If you are in this area, visiting historic sites or sporting venues, this place is well worth considering.

Room Tip: Ask for an older room in the main part of the hotel if you want space.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GM_Avisford_Park, General Manager at Hilton Avisford Park, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing a review about Hilton Avisford Park, following your recent stay.

We were pleased to read that you appreciated our historic charm and found our location, leisure facilities, quality of food and level of service all to your satisfaction.

Thank you for choosing Hilton Avisford Park. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back for a further stay.

Hilton Avisford Park

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Sidcup, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

It was my birthday and I wanted a day out followed by a stay over somewhere, only problem was I have two dogs. So I hunted around for dog friendly places to stay, there were B&Bs that had a dog friendly room, but only one dog allowed and they were already booked up or I could of rented a self catering place, which was far too expensive. Then I saw this Hilton hotel advertised and I couldn't believe it, dogs were allowed! The only stipulation was only small pets were accepted, up to 10kg and a maximum of 2 pets and the charge for having your best friends with you £10, perfect!
Booking online was simple and I was offered a possible upgrade to a suite if one was available when I checked in on the day (which would of cost £35).
I arrived at the hotel and strolled in with my dogs in toe and no one batted an eyelid, the staff were welcoming and my concern of them wanting to measure, weigh or carry out any good behavior checks on my pooches was not necessary! I was directed to my room which was in the Garden Lodge, this was away from the main hotel. This is an extension to the rear of the hotel, it was quite and had a lovely atmosphere and it was perfect for the dogs, as the main door opened out to grass areas surrounding small car park,s so taking them for a walk was easy. This area was close to the impressive golf course which stretch out as far as the eye could see. The room was a good size and the bed was huge and very comfortable, there was a electric fan unit, so none of this trying to figure out air-con controls! As I had arrived later than planned I didn't get to keep my restaurant booking so I checked out the room service menu while having a glass of the complimentary red wine. The menu choice was really good, great selection of meals so I took full advantage and I wasn't disappointed, the meal was well presented and tasted great, so as I had already booked a breakfast with the room, I had room service for that too, at an extra cost of £6 and as a treat I didn't think that was bad.
This hotel was a great find and it's a great to place to stay too, I loved it and to be able to bring my dogs with me made it extra special. Would I recommend it......ABSOLUTELY.

Dear Guest

We were delighted you chose to stay with us on the occasion of your birthday and found the location of your room in the Garden Lodge perfect for walking your dogs.

We were also pleased that you enjoyed your in-room dining experiences for both dinner and breakfast.

Thank you for choosing Hilton Avisford Park and for your recommendation. We hope you will return again soon for a further stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed for one night as part of a 2 day golf break. Certainly convenient to have golf course on same location as hotel but then this is fairly common nowadays. Breakfast was average buffet but evening meal was quite frankly very poor; how the chef let it leave the kitchen is beyond me. I ordered the grilled salmon and it came out charcoled. Even the chips were burnt. My assumption is that my plate was left under a grill whilst the food for the others on my table were being prepared. This is understandable but to let it leave the kitchen like that isn't. Unfortunately, I had a taxi booked so couldn't send it back. The waitress was very apologetic and waived a round of drinks which was a nice gesture.

The room was mediocre, with no air conditioning which for a Hilton hotel is rare. Finally, the shower was a joke, with the shower head designed to not let water spray out.

The best thing about the hotel was the outside pool.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Peter R
Dear Guest

It was disappointing to read that the standard of your evening meal fell below your expectations; your particular comments have been passed to our Head Chef for his review and remedial action as appropriate and we apologise for the inconvenience and disappointment caused. We note that as a gesture of apology a round of drinks was waived.

Our bedrooms are provided with a fan to assist with temperature control in the absence of air conditioning.

Your comment regarding the quality of the shower has been passed to our Maintenance team to investigate, to ensure all showers are functioning correctly and we thank you for bringing this to our attention.

On a positive note we were pleased you enjoyed our location and outdoor pool facility.

Hilton Avisford Park

Travellers are raving about these Arundel hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is a Hilton in name only - at any star rating! We experienced poor service during our stay particularly in the outside patio area (e.g. no waiter service outside). This may be due to the fact that they had two wedding parties running on Saturday so no spare staff to look after the non wedding guests. This has definitely changed since we were last at the hotel. Its been a firm favourite for many family get togethers over the years. This time we had 3 rooms on Friday and 5 rooms on Saturday. We were very upset with a very rude poolside attendant who shouted at us for various poolside 'offences' starting with a very aggressive directive to stop taking a photo of my two 50+ brothers, talking in the pool - apparently the hotel now has a no poolside photos rule due to risk to children, in the pool!!. Has the world gone mad! There were no children anywhere near my brothers! Just wanted a picture of the two of them together in the pool! Further, the pool attendant told me off - for buying drinks and bringing them to the pool when his predecessor on 'watch' had told me the pool fridge wasn't working and to go to the bar and get drinks. There were no towels by the pool - another rule is that you have to get the towels from the GYM and sign for them - the staff at the gym gave off the vibe that they suspected you might not come back with them! Last time we stayed both drinks service by the pool and towels were all provided. PS - new rule also no alcohol by pool! We are not big drinkers but would have liked a beer or spritzer - in a plastic glass! There were several other incidents when the pool attendant jumped up from his deck chair to come over to us and tell us off by the pool and in the end I had to tell him to go away or I was going to speak to the Hotel Manager about his behaviour. This totally upset us all - trying to have a good time. We all found the rooms are swelteringly hot - no offer of a fan and for a 'deluxe' room we were very disappointed - clean but very basic and a small room. The cooked breakfast was consistently revolting on both mornings - mushrooms appeared to have been boiled and swimming in dark watery liquid - hash browns were dry and over fried, ditto fried bread etc. Definitely NOTa 4 star Hilton. Location and gardens are excellent - which is obviously why they don't need to try in the hotel. Sadly the standard of service and general state of the hotel means its very unlikely that we will stay there again in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

It was disappointing to read that you and your family did not fully enjoy your stay with us. There have clearly been some changes since your last visit concerning the use of cameras poolside and in the health club, food and drink consumed by the outside pool and regarding the provision of towels and it was disappointing these were not explained to you in a more professional manner. This will be addressed with further training by our Health Club Manager.

All our rooms should be supplied a fan to assist with temperature control and should either be on the desk or in the wardrobe; we apologise, however, if a fan was missing from your particular room.

Our Hilton buffet breakfast is very popular with many of our guests and it was disappointing to read that on this occasion it fell below your expectations. Your particular comments have been passed to our Head Chef for him to review.

Thank you once again for providing your feedback.

Kent
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel, staff, accommodation, food all really good. But the pool and spa facilities not as depicted on the website - think it must be another hotel in the group. I was disappointed as I specifically booked there for this feature.

Dear Guest

We have checked the images used on our website for the pool and spa areas and can confirm they are of our facilities.

We were pleased that you found the standard of accommodation, quality of food and level of service to your satisfaction.

Brighton
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Rooms are not the same as pictures! They are tired. Dated decor, the smell of old! Breakfast was rubbery old bacon and a typical buffet. Definitely won't be returning. The only saving grace was the staff, they were delightful and very pleasant.

Dear Guest

It was disappointing to note that the standard of accommodation and breakfast did not meet with your satisfaction. Your particular comment regarding the bacon will be passed to our Head Chef for investigation as this is not our usual standard.

We were, however, glad that you found our team members delightful and very pleasant.

barkingside, Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

A birthday trip that ended badly. MY wife, my 2 teenage daughters and myself visited this hotel for a surprise birhtday night away for my wife. we had previously visited this hotel a few years ago, The grounds are fantastic and the hotel is not far from the lovely town of Arundel. On arrival we had quite a wait before the hotel receptionist came out of the office to ceck us in. There was no real greeting and we felt there was an air of we was putting the receptionist out as she was far too busy doing something else, the receptionist came across as quite rude and when we asked to see the rooms before leaving our credit card details she was not happy, she begrudgingly agreed.. The rooms where very clean, we requested no feathers in the rooms, this request was carried out by the hotel before arrival. The hotel does not have any air conditioning as it has not been refurbished, this was not a problem as fans were provided. 1 of the fans was broken and upon request the fans was replaced. Unfortunately my with became unwell and we said we had to leave and go home. I requesrted to speak to the hotel manager tas we had only been in the hotel for 2 hours. when the manager came out and spoke to my wife and myself she started off by showing some concern as to the well being of my wife, we explained to her what was wrong with my wife and she then started questioning my wife which turned into a bit of an interrogation. The manager then went off to speak to her head office to see if we could get a refund. My wife went outside to get some fresh air as she was not feeling to well. when the menager returned i tried to talk to her regarding the outcome but she was not too interested in speaking to me, she said to me that we had stayed in the hotel on the previous night, I pointed out this was not the case and she needed to check her records properly, the manager then went outside to speak to my wife to continue her questioing of her and her condition. the manager said the matter was out of her hands and we would have to wait until the following week to see if the hilton group would grant us a refund. We pointed out to the manager we had a 4 o clock cancellation on the booking. the manager then went inside to check. I went upstairs to pack, the manager then returned and started asking my wife questions again about her illness and taking notes, I came down with some luggage and returned for the rest. We were then hassled by hotel housekeepers to get out of the room and by the manager who said we had 5 minutes to leave the room as it had to be cleaned ( we only unpacked then repacked as i pointed iout to the manager) I found the hotel manager to be so very unproffessional and for her to adopt the attitude of a secret police interrogator most distressing. I was always led to believe by the hilton group that the customer is always right. obvoiusly not on this occasion. i would definatlely never recommend this hotel to anybody and would recommend the hilton group look into some of their staffs attitude towards their customers. I must say the receptionist who checked us out was very polite and proffessional and i do not want to condemn the rest of the staff as i was not there long enough to experience the rest of the facilities. we have experienced some great stays at other hilton hotels. so this trip away was quite a shock to us and hope this was just a poor manager in a normally great hotel chain.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

GM_Avisford_Park, General Manager at Hilton Avisford Park, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing a review about Hilton Avisford Park, following your recent visit.

We have responded to and discussed your particular concerns with you personally.

Hilton Avisford Park
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arundel
The Swan Hotel
Chichester Park Hotel
Chichester Park Hotel
#7 of 8 in Chichester
Premier Inn Arundel Hotel

Been to Hilton Avisford Park? Share your experiences!