“A historical gem, but...”

Arundel Castle and Gardens
Ranked #1 of 29 things to do in Arundel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Arundel Castle is open from Saturday 1 April to Sunday 30 October 2017. Open Tuesdays to Sundays inclusive, Good Friday, Easter Monday, May Bank Holiday Mondays & all August Mondays. Arundel Castle & The Collector Earl's Garden, Arundel, West Sussex. Ancient Castle and stately home of the Duke of Norfolk, reflecting nearly 1,000 years of history,and commanding the surrounding landscape with magnificent views across the South Downs and River Arun. Fine furniture and works of art in sumptuously furnished rooms. Ancient Motte & Keep. The Collector Earl's Garden. 14th century Fitzalan Chapel. Collection of arms & armour. Personal possessions of Mary Queen of Scots. Varied programme of Special Events.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Utrecht, The Netherlands
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“A historical gem, but...”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I loved my visit to this gem of a castle, and touched some of the walls thinking of famous inhabitants from long ago.But, with all respects for having to cope with the financial aspects of maintaining the castle and all it contains, I nevertheless feel that the price one pays is too high.. British history should not be this expensive to experience, and if the Duke of Norfolk is not able to maintain the castle plus grounds properly, government & the National Trust should help in order for everbody to enjoy a visit for a reasonable amount. I think pds 50,00 entrance for 2 adults is too steep.
The castle is beautiful, as are the grounds. Absolutely no complaints here & I am pleased to have stepped into this ancient history with my visit.

Visited July 2014

40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“What a lovely place!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The grounds and castle are fantastic! We only had three hours in the car park, do yourself a favor and pay for five hours in order to allow yourself adequate time to thoroughly explore the grounds and castle. If you have not checked, the castle does not open until noon.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Gerald P
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“Great day out”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We bought the priciest ticket and had a great time at the castle. In addition to the fabric & contents of castle, the grounds & gardens are lovely & offer plenty to see. We got a discount on our ticket because we are National Trust members. We also got a voucher for just over £3 included in the ticket to spend in the shop &/or cafe. We had great coffee & walnut cake & the food & drink in the coffee bar was reasonably priced - especially with the voucher. There is no big car parking area at the castle but we managed to park for free on the street near the cathedral church in Arundel. Highly recommended.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Scousepeasant
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Don't miss”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit here! The whole place is just jaw dropping but I have always been a sucker for a beautiful garden and this was just gorgeous!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Megan B
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Worth a visit!”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I visited with my parents from the Philippines and my 2 daughters around the last week of July 2014. It was Jousting week and we all had fun watching the tournaments, the mock fighting, and being shown the different trade of people had ie basket weaving and other crafts etc. Me and my kids tried archery and had a fun time with very friendly and patient instructors. We had a picnic in the gardens and enjoyed the festive atmosphere. My parents are elderly and cannot walk for long distances and the staff have been extremely helpful and polite. We took our time touring the castle as it had a few stairs but otherwise they only had a short wait for a golf buggy to get around the grounds. The gardens were very beautiful and overlooked the Arundel cathedral which was picture perfect. Great place to visit with great staff that makes the visit even more unforgettable!

Visited July 2014