“Dreadful filthy warehouse...avoid...”

The Flying Fortress
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Hmm. I'm not a particularly negative person (I like to think) but I really cannot find anything good to say about this place. It was dreadful. Spectacularly poor in every way. Let me explain:
Location: next to council estate in a warehouse.
Price: very expensive and as the accompanying adult with a group of kids, you have to pay for entry to 'spectate'. Erm, I'm not spectating, I am actively looking after my children. Still gotta pay though...
The playframe: is filthy. Seriously - when was the last time this thing was cleaned? It smells. It has cobwebs. I ran amok with the anti-bacterial hand gel but still felt 99.99% of the bugs the hand gel killed weren't enough. You cannot put young kids in this to play. It needs a deep clean, urgently.
Food & drink: everything is deep fried. They would deep fry a slush puppy if they could charge more for it.
Toilets: filthy, smelly and floors are wet. Kids have to take their shoes off for the play frame, fair enough. These are kept (bowling alley style) at reception. So when the kids ned the loo, off you pop - and the floors are wet with (I think we know what). So you head to reception to ask for the shoes so they can wearthem to the toilet. This request is met with both concern and derision. "Shoes?!" the receptionist exclaims. "You need to leave the shoes here. They aren't to be worn inside". You explain (at length) about the need for shoes/wellies/waders for the toilets. The staff look at you as if you are mental. You take deep breaths, and send your four year old in to the loo's wearing your size ten converse. Good luck in there, son.
Staff: Oh dear. So you are running a facility for KIDS. It is a play frame, designed solely to attract KIDS and take money from their parents. So who do you recruit? Bubbly, child friendly, enthusiastic hosts to make your kids have a great time? Well, that's what I would do. Or most sensible people. But not the owners here, oh no. They seek out a group of people who, as far as I can see, detest the young visitors to the building. The staff I encountered varied from apathetic about where they were and what they were doing at best, and downright rude and intimidating to the children. Woe betide a child who wants to speak to another child in the queue for the trampoline... STOP SPEAKING, SIT STILL OR GO TO THE BACK OF THE LINE she bellows at my confused four year old. When I ask about her methods, she snaps "it's very busy here". Erm, yes, I understand that. Now don't shout at other people's children. And perhaps seek a new role where you are not customer/child facing? I think we would all be happier...
Summary: dreadful experience from top to toe. I don't expect much from a kids play centre but the basics (cleanliness, friendliness, usable toilets) are lacking here. Head to Play in Worthing instead. Much better all round.

8  Thank billy n

Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Again I look on web and see open till 6 before I arrive to then find out it will close early because they are quiet.
Then I get the comment its the needs of the business not the paying customer thats their interest.
Its such a shame as the place itself is great.
A reduced fee should be in place if closing early. Keeping customers happy should be a priority but this appears not.
Disappointing for customers needs to be managed better.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Kids loved it I booked a holiday which was a mistake with nothing for kids or us to be entertained. This is nearby and highly amused us for our stay in Sussex. Friendly bubbly staff clean and good all round fun.

1  Thank Jackie G
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

We attended a birthday party here. Overall just what you'd expect from an indoor play area. The children loved it and the staff did a good job of keeping the under 2's section free of bigger kids. Food is ok if u dont mind everything deap fat fried. The big warehouse building does smell a bit and toilets did too. Would be good to see some ball pools for younger children :) we will visit again as kids enjoyed it.

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

We were recommended Flying Fortress from some friends in Surrey and decided to take the 1/12 hour drive. It was well worth it. The young staff are friendly, polite, efficient and extremely organised. The whole place is buzzing with children of all ages and the centre offers activities and areas for babies, toddlers and bigger monsters too. The food is basic cafe menu, but offers good quality, freshly cooked snacks at good prices (homemade lasagne is to die for). The visit was so good we even returned the following week during half term and due to the popularity of the centre they had to run 1.5 - 2hr sessions which was slightly disappointing, but understandable. We use a lot of soft play areas closer to home, but none are even close to competing with Flying Fortress. We will be visiting again soon for another fun packed reasonably price day out.