“Romance is dead & was cheated!”
Review of The Swan Hotel

The Swan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Arundel
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Didn't have a good time staying here and should have reviewed this months ago but typical me when something bad happens I tend tp block things out. I planned a romantic weekend for my boyfriend. It was a special occasion & to top that he is in the forces & was home on leave. In had booked this on line but phoned ahead to tell them how special this was. We arrived earlier than the check in time but had some lovely tea & cake & was greeted in a courteous and friendly manner. The cake was delicious. We were then ready to be shown to our room. Then the embarrassing nightmare began. To get there wenhad to clamber over dirty linen strewn on the stairs together with breakfast trays, dirty crockery etc. Then we were shown our shabby chic room but more the emphasis on shabby . I was gutted. The place was dusty. The floor not vacuumed properly and the worst ever, the toilet was dirty. That turned my stomach together with the stale biscuit & filthy cups & tea tray. I got the manager up to the room, pointed out all the problems esp how upset I was as this was supposed to be a lovely & special occasion. Including the cost of it all. So, we were moved to another room. It admittedly was a litle better but the bathroom was cramped. The tea tray unappealing again and when we opened the cannister that contained the milk. It stank to high heaven. The milk was fresh but obviously the container had not been washed out. So I had to go down again to complain. A clean canister was given with about 1/2 inch of milk. I called the maid & said this isnt enough. We would like more than one cup as have travelled a long way ( my other half from the Gulf). She explained it was the hotel policy to give us only about an inch of milk. I was shocked. How stingy.You can imagine so far, the weekend is not going well & I am cringing. I will say, however that the management were apologetic and gave us our evening meal on the house.

The following day a little maid I had befriended showed me the other rooms that guests were staying in & they were lovely. She said I had been given the rooms that were badly in need of being refurbished & effort wasn't really paramount with those rooms until then.
I felt so cheated but didn't have the will to complain anymore. I just wanted to make the most of pretty Arundel & go home

I just keep picturing my poor boyfriends face when he went into the first bathroom with the dirty loo & the mould.

However I will say the staff tried to make it up but the damage had been done. We laugh about it now but at the time. I wanted the ground to swallow me up.

The other rooms looked lovely and the food was nice. So it should have been great. Feel a bit ripped off paying for a substandard room. Especially as I had phoned ahead. They are all very very young. So perhaps romance is dead in their eyes. Pity I wont stay there again. Brings back
nightmares!

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank Davina B

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Having had a disappointing lunch, I decided to try the cream tea here.
While waiting to be served, I eyed up the gorgeous cakes on display & it was a promising start.
It's reviews were very good, so I had high expectations.
I ordered my cream tea & seated myself in the air conditioned area.
The table setting was very pretty & the service was friendly.
The waitress explained all the small scones had gone so showed me the one large scone which would be mine.
I had a pot of tea with my enter nous scone & a lovely array of jam, clotted cream & butter.
It was lovely!!
Well worth the £5 I paid :)
I also saw, too late for me, that they also offer a 2 course lunch for £10.
Well situated & clean and tidy.
Recommended!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We are locals and had a wonderful meal there in the restaurant of the Swan Friday night. The service was impeccable, the food even more so and the price.....wonderful. They had apparently had some staff off sick but you would never of known it! the service was speedy, reliable and we were even given a free starter!

can't recommend it enough...THE best place for eating out in Arundel in our opinion.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in June for Goodwood Festival of Speed with family down from Yorkshire. The rooms were beautiful and very comfortable and the food is if the same high standard I have always expected from Fullers establishments. Staff were welcoming and for a very busy time we were given individual attention and made to feel like we weren't just another customer. Looking forward to next year - if not before

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

My wife came here for a late afternoon dinner of fish and chips on a visit to the market earlier that day. The food was excellent and a good choice of beer. The bar had a very pleasant feel to it. We would consider staying here on a future visit to this lovely town in the beautiful South Downs.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Johntimelord
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed here for a night in May, the room was quite small but very clean and there were some nice homely touches.
I wasn't so keen on the bathroom, the bottom of the shower curtain had mould on it and the grouting wasn't very clean either. still, didn't get the chance to use the bath or shower as there was no hot water that morning!
the breakfast was absolutely delicious, one of the best I've had, everything was top quality. the staff are very friendly and helpful.
As we were not able to have anything other than a cold wash before leaving we were offered 10% off our next stay! however as we live over 500 miles away I would have preferred the discount at the time of paying.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank linda d
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The rooms are beautiful, however there is very little space to put your clothes either hanging or folded. No drawers so had to leave everything in the suitcases which wasn't very good considering the cost of the rooms. We only stayed for 2 nights and this was challenging. The other difficulty was that the music in the bar was so loud after midnight that had I not been one of the wedding party I would have been pretty cross about the noise.
The food was superb, both breakfast and main meals. The breakfast made you feel like you were somewhere special, and the choice was really exceptional. The staff were fantastic and nothing was too much trouble for them.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arundel
Norfolk Arms Hotel
4 mi away
Bailiffscourt Hotel
Bailiffscourt Hotel
#1 of 1 in Climping

Been to The Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!