“A Fine Hotel - well worth a visit!”
Review of The Swan Hotel

The Swan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Arundel
Christchurch, Dorset, England, United Kingdom
“A Fine Hotel - well worth a visit!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have stayed at The Swan a number of times on business. Now staying with my wife on holiday. A real treat. Boutique-style rooms, good beer, excellent food and friendly staff. Should you want a base to explore West Sussex (e.g. the Wildfowl and Wetland Trust) and Arundel itself, this is a very good place to start.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to have same decor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ken B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Haverhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is the 3rd year on the trot we have stayed for glorious goodwood and its already booked for next year.
I cant fault the place. Location, food and staff are all 1st class.
Big thank you to beata and all the staff who help to make this a wonderful place to stay.
will be back next year and hopefully before.
As for the food. Well the breakfast is great and the evening meals too.
Thanks.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jobbo1234
Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Personally I think it managed to wear all it's hats well. Food in the restaurant was great, service was friendly and welcoming and the beer was great! A locals pub that offers a friendly, warm place to relax. Even if you're on your own. My room was on the small side. But you're in a pub hotel dating from 1759. What do you really expect? Small, but very clean and well furnished room. And a view of Arundel town square and the castle is a huge bonus. I will stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Fiery254
Ashtead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Didn't have a good time staying here and should have reviewed this months ago but typical me when something bad happens I tend tp block things out. I planned a romantic weekend for my boyfriend. It was a special occasion & to top that he is in the forces & was home on leave. In had booked this on line but phoned ahead to tell them how special this was. We arrived earlier than the check in time but had some lovely tea & cake & was greeted in a courteous and friendly manner. The cake was delicious. We were then ready to be shown to our room. Then the embarrassing nightmare began. To get there wenhad to clamber over dirty linen strewn on the stairs together with breakfast trays, dirty crockery etc. Then we were shown our shabby chic room but more the emphasis on shabby . I was gutted. The place was dusty. The floor not vacuumed properly and the worst ever, the toilet was dirty. That turned my stomach together with the stale biscuit & filthy cups & tea tray. I got the manager up to the room, pointed out all the problems esp how upset I was as this was supposed to be a lovely & special occasion. Including the cost of it all. So, we were moved to another room. It admittedly was a litle better but the bathroom was cramped. The tea tray unappealing again and when we opened the cannister that contained the milk. It stank to high heaven. The milk was fresh but obviously the container had not been washed out. So I had to go down again to complain. A clean canister was given with about 1/2 inch of milk. I called the maid & said this isnt enough. We would like more than one cup as have travelled a long way ( my other half from the Gulf). She explained it was the hotel policy to give us only about an inch of milk. I was shocked. How stingy.You can imagine so far, the weekend is not going well & I am cringing. I will say, however that the management were apologetic and gave us our evening meal on the house.

The following day a little maid I had befriended showed me the other rooms that guests were staying in & they were lovely. She said I had been given the rooms that were badly in need of being refurbished & effort wasn't really paramount with those rooms until then.
I felt so cheated but didn't have the will to complain anymore. I just wanted to make the most of pretty Arundel & go home

I just keep picturing my poor boyfriends face when he went into the first bathroom with the dirty loo & the mould.

However I will say the staff tried to make it up but the damage had been done. We laugh about it now but at the time. I wanted the ground to swallow me up.

The other rooms looked lovely and the food was nice. So it should have been great. Feel a bit ripped off paying for a substandard room. Especially as I had phoned ahead. They are all very very young. So perhaps romance is dead in their eyes. Pity I wont stay there again. Brings back
nightmares!

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Davina B
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Having had a disappointing lunch, I decided to try the cream tea here.
While waiting to be served, I eyed up the gorgeous cakes on display & it was a promising start.
It's reviews were very good, so I had high expectations.
I ordered my cream tea & seated myself in the air conditioned area.
The table setting was very pretty & the service was friendly.
The waitress explained all the small scones had gone so showed me the one large scone which would be mine.
I had a pot of tea with my enter nous scone & a lovely array of jam, clotted cream & butter.
It was lovely!!
Well worth the £5 I paid :)
I also saw, too late for me, that they also offer a 2 course lunch for £10.
Well situated & clean and tidy.
Recommended!

• Stayed July 2014
sussex
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We are locals and had a wonderful meal there in the restaurant of the Swan Friday night. The service was impeccable, the food even more so and the price.....wonderful. They had apparently had some staff off sick but you would never of known it! the service was speedy, reliable and we were even given a free starter!

can't recommend it enough...THE best place for eating out in Arundel in our opinion.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Aldershot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in June for Goodwood Festival of Speed with family down from Yorkshire. The rooms were beautiful and very comfortable and the food is if the same high standard I have always expected from Fullers establishments. Staff were welcoming and for a very busy time we were given individual attention and made to feel like we weren't just another customer. Looking forward to next year - if not before

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arundel
Norfolk Arms Hotel
#7 of 7 in Arundel
Bailiffscourt Hotel
Bailiffscourt Hotel
#1 of 1 in Climping

Been to The Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!