“We loved it!”

Ranked #6 of 17 Arundel B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
“We loved it!”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We were advised to stay here by my Daughter and her husband. We were looking for a couple of days break where we could just relax in comfortable, quiet surroundings.
We had a wonderful time, the staff were very welcoming, helpful and accommodating without being intrusive.
The food - both the breakfast and the meal we had one evening were hot, properly cooked and good old home made fare. And plenty of it. Very reasonably priced we felt.
The room was lovely - very clean, nicely decorated/furnished - beautiful big fluffy spotless towels: lots of Tea/Coffee items ( and biscuits! ); plenty of mirrors/ storage space, it was very warm, but we just turned the heating off for a bit.
We cannot find any fault with our stay and really enjoyed the two nights we were there.
We most certainly will be going back - probably for our honeymoon we loved it so much!
Do try the Inn - it's location is perfect for Arundel as it was only a very short walk to the shops. Right next door to the very beautiful Catheral and a stones throw from the river and the castle itself.
I will highly recommend this Inn to anyone looking to stay in or Arundel or just wanting a break away.
Thanks again to all the staff - Caroline and Chris Wells.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Ok its a pub with rooms, in a great location and under new management- who are charming, however that's where the fairy tale ends, only £5 cheaper than any other accomodation in Arundel, the bed was cheap, porr quality and impossible to sleep on, and wasn't made up properly, with sheet totally adrift by morning revealing a less than adequet mattress. It was ridiculously hot, and poorly lit, the bathroom was decent but the only room with a mirror with no proper lighting (where can a lady do her hair and makeup?). The breakfast was served efficiently but swimming in grease and consisted of the poorest ingredients the local cash and carry could provide- For this price £69 it is not worth the compromise- I hope they take this into consideration and up the anti for the future!

Room Tip: do not book here until upgraded
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emily C
Surrey
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I've both eaten and stayed here before and some of the negatives points by other posters were justified.

However, the landlord and landlady have recently changed so give them a fair chance.
I booked a largish function at almost last minute, they wanted the trade and were more than willing to provide the meals I wanted at a price I wanted to pay.
On the day everything was ready for us and even a couple of people changing their orders was gracefully accepted and dealt with.
Tasty and hot meal followed by scrummy afters (and I'm not a pudding person)what more could we have asked for.
This vibrant young couple will make their mark on this charming pub if they are given a chance.
I will try out the rooms soon.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
eastbourne
Reviewed 15 October 2011

We found St Mary's Gate after a long and very wet drive from Cornwall. On that occasion we stayed for one night but we have visited several times since for long weekends. We also continue stop there on the way home from regular trips to Cornwall. St Marys Gate is not far from where we live but it is comfortable and cosy, with good meals and breakfasts available. It has become our bolt hole when we want a bit of peace and quiet. We will be back soon.
Gill and Chris Thomas

Room Tip: Try the Cathedral Suite, well worth the extra.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GillytEastbourne
York
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Just checked out of the St Marys Gate B&B after staying for 2 nights as we were attending Fontwell Races.

The building is very old and like some of the other reviews state, the rooms could do with upgrading. Nevertheless we had a very pleasant stay. The only thing I would say is that the towels were not changed every day so by the second night we were using damp towels used the first morning after showers. The rooms were not cleaned every day either so once the cups were used on the first morning for teas and coffees they had to be washed out to be reused. This was not a problem, however if you are paying £59 a night you do expect clean towels every day. We were in Room 1 and our window wouldn't close, this was not a problem as it was very warm during our stay, however in the middle of winter this would be a very different story!

The breakfast we had was one of the nicest breakfasts we have had in a B&B. There was lots of choice (most other places we have been to just have 1 option of a full English). The young waitress was very polite and helpful.

All in all, Arundel is a beautiful town and well worth visiting if you ever get the chance. We will be coming back here for the races again and will be staying in this pub.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank purpler0nnie
Arundel, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I stayed here the night before my wedding last week as I was getting married in the Cathedral across the road. The night before the wedding I had to use the shower in my sisters room as there was no hot water for my bath. However the shower didn't work properly, and it was freezing in her room as the window wouldn't shut. One of the guys eventually got the window shut and the shower working admittedly.
The next day I woke up to no hot water again, as did one of my guests in the next room. Also, I had specifically arranged to check out at 12, but the staff had no record of it and had to check it would be ok, though it was part of my agreement with them. But to top it all off, they would not help us when we did not have the room cleared on time. There were only three small bags left, but they insisted the grooms brother get them all out, despite that fact he begged them just to carry them downstairs for him, so he would not miss the wedding, which had started across the road. I would have thought any human would have had the compassion to do this, as he was visibly upset, but even more so, I would have thought as a business, they would have tried to make up for some of the upset they had caused, on a very special day. We only wanted them to keep the bags until the end of the service, which was less than an hour. I can not understand how not one member of staff was willing to help the grooms brother, I guess this is why the hotel is such a mess, they just don't care!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TaraBV
nottingham
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Me and my family stayed in August from the minuite we arrived we were made to feel very welcome, The landlord Terry was brilliant even telling jokes and doing magic tricks for my 8 yr old son, and Paul was amazing he couldnt have done anymore. The room we stayed in was lovely we everything we needed i would reccomend a stay at St Marys gate for anyone business or pleasure, and brilliant for famillies situated right next to the catherdral stunning. Thank You so much St Marys Gate

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family