“A day or great memories.”

Amberley Museum & Heritage Centre
Ranked #2 of 31 things to do in Arundel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: OPENING 7th MARCH 2018 Step back in time at Amberley Museum, a remarkable heritage site in the Sussex South Downs, between Storrington and Arundel, focusing on industrial and transport history. Most days the bus service and narrow gauge railway run, which take visitors to the far end of the site where the electricity, communications and railway exhibition halls can be found. Further exhibits include the working printshop, lime kilns, road steam engines, standard gauge line, stationary engines, greenwood village and more. The Museum is home to traditional craftspeople, such as the woodturners and blacksmith, with a cafe, gift shop, playground, nature trails and picnic areas. It’s well worth a visit and there is plenty to do in all weathers. Right next to Amberley railway station, with direct trains from London, Bognor and Portsmouth (check before you travel), we have a large, free carpark. Please see our website for further information.
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Having done the London Eye London aquarium and madam tussles the day before I didn't think this would offer much. On arrival I thought the entrance fee high. But once having a good look round there seemed to be loadsvof little areas to explore. But what makeshift so great, without doubt, are the volunteers. They treated my little boy with such enthusiasm he had a great time. My mantlepiece now has various tickets, carvings certificates to remind us of a great day. Well done and thankyou. Better than our London trip? Well it gave it a dam good run for its money.

2  Thank tdr007
in 7 reviews
"james bond"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 14 July 2014

This museum has something for every age group. It is educational and informative for older children, the younger children will enjoy the train rides, the buses, the open area of the site and for the adults, the nostalgia. If you can only fit in a brief visit, it`s a good 3 hours spent. For the more thorough visitor 5/6 hours can be spent here. Check the web site for the things that can be seen. Most of the staff are volunteers, but engage with them because they have interesting stories to tell. Onsite facilities were a little basic but were clean, and the choice in the restaurant was not as large as other more commercial venues but the quality was good, the staff were friendly and help full.

4  Thank Cdm54
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Visited during the week when it was quiet. Allow a good 3hrs plus to take it all in. Very male orientated although my wife enjoyed the train ride, radio/TV museum and some of the garages, the remainder is very male orientated - that said it is all good fun and very interesting - it has a bit of everything from a printing press to a good display of electrical equipment. Bus rides and train rides are on hand to move you around although it’s only a 10 min walk from one end to the other. Cafe is good, serving a limited menu at a reasonable price. Probably just as good a visit in the wet as the dry as most of the plethora of museums are under cover. Well worth looking at their website beforehand and getting a 'feel' of the place before you turn up. All in all on a par with the Down Land museum and well worth a visit if you are in the area.

2  Thank Ian B
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Four of us "Grown up kids" visited here and spent 5 hours there and still did not see all the attractions fully. Problem was we all remembered many of the historic exhibits as household and daily items etc. in our day. We had a great ride on the bus where hubby rang the bell and we were all issued with a clipped ticket, and then a free ride on the train too. There were several hands on activities in a number of the halls and we found all the volunteer helpers were very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about their subject. We took so long that we missed The Pottery as it was closed by the time we reached it. The shop has a large selection of gifts and goodies (the honey is the best we have ever tasted!) One criticism - we ate in the Limeburners restaurant where all the food is cooked and made to order but although the serving staff were wearing blue gloves they were handling food as well as taking cash and payments. A great place run by volunteers.

2  Thank Sonja P
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Since my last visit, probably over twenty years ago then with my young family, a lot has been added. This time I arrived with my friend by train, taking advantage of the 2-for-1 admission offer for train ticket holders, so we paid only £10 for the two of us (seniors) which included the Gift Aid donation. [Check with train operators for this offer - voucher required]. The Museum entrance is just a minute's walk from Amberley train station.

The Museum comprises many exhibitions and historical collections which are museums in themselves, and those new to me included the Roadmakers' (paviors) museum, the "Connected Earth" telecommunications hall, the Narrow-Gauge railway exhibition, and the Electricity Hall. Like other visitors, I looked to see which electrical appliances in the museum are identical to ones which I still use in my house - my coffee percolating jug was one. And it's obvious why Sussex has so many rough and pot-holed roads: the proper repair equipment such as the tar-boiler and the road-rollers (steam and diesel machines) have been consigned to the museum. The Sussex roadman's wooden caravan containing a woodburning stove is there, once pulled by a steam traction engine or steamroller. I saw the modern equivalent elsewhere in Sussex recently - it's called a Welfare Unit in big letters on the side of an expensive new white van.

We also visited other museums within the Museum, and had a train ride to the far end of the site. An old Bristol VR double-deck bus was offering slow-speed trips round the site, whilst a splendid fleet of ancient Southdown buses was on view in "Storrington Bus Garage". A revisit is essential if we want to see the many things which we did not have time for.

The ladies' loo opposite "Connected Earth" was in a disgusting condition, possibly not cleaned for weeks or perhaps longer as evidenced by staining. We reported this to Reception.

The gift shop was adequate and sensibly stocked. As another charitable rural attraction not far away had just had a burglary involving the loss of high-value goods, it seems sensible to stick to basics such as guide books, cheap toys, pictures and postcards etc. in this kind of setting. I bought a small reproduction Southern Railway poster for framing.

I noticed that there are plenty of things to interest children of all ages, not least a properly-designed fenced woodland play area.

2  Thank oldrambler62