“Low expectations met”
Review of The White Swan

The White Swan
Ranked #5 of 17 Arundel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 September 2013

A nice location and although a pleasant exterior and decor the rooms are quite dated and rough around the edges. The staff are friendly but probably low calibre.

Basic facilities are not catered for, there is no ironing board in the rooms, the TV is something from the 80's and the advertised WIFI is not accessible in areas other than the bar. On the plus side the bed was comfortable - it was a no frills sleep.

The menu looked great, traditional British pub grub, in reality it was low quality, cooked by a teenager and over priced. My £22 cooked rare T bone steak for example represented the bottom of my shoe.

This place is probably ok for a last resort or trip on a budget - keep your expectations low and you may be surprised. :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jonathan C
There are newer reviews for The White Swan

Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

A quick lunch on the road is so much better in a place like this. We had a variety of choices from hot to cold food. Sandwiches to full main meals as well as a great offer of afternoon tea for 2.

The staff were great I asked for a change in my meal and this was done with smile.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This hotel met all of our expectations. It is located right outside of the city center. The room was well appointed and clean. It looked a little larger than most European rooms. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom facilities worked. The shower had plenty of hot water. The bar was nice and had a friendly bartender. The restaurant had really good food and friendly waiters. I would definitely stay here again! I would also recommend it to people visiting Arundel.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

We Stayed here for two nights at the end of August whilst visiting family down there, we've stayed in many hotels in west Sussex and are still looking for the one we will be happy to return to time after time. I always wanted to stay at the swan having passed it many times. Check in was efficient, the room was up quite a few stairs. Nice room, quite big, nice and comfy bed. Tea/coffee lovely. Very clean. No view from the window but a bit of greenery and it was fine. Bathroom was ok.... but the shower didn't work. It dripped just a load of hot water... a nightmare for shampooing my hair. I asked the maid and she said she'd get it looked at. I felt confident they would sort it and I would have no further problems. But they never, the engineer apparently said it was fine. My husband took a shower the next day and burnt himself... he didn't bother again. I asked at reception about it and to be honest,... they really didn't appear to care... I think they had other issues more pressing that us which was sad as I won't stay there again and it was otherwise a good place to stay. The bar downstairs was nice, the breakfast was probably one of the best we have ever had and the bar staff delightful. Then came evening meal... three vegetarian choices. One was risotto topped with an egg... didn't fancy that, actually I hadn't been feeling too well and wanted an omelette which they had hooray.... hmmm except an omelette and wild spinach with chips was a whooping £14 fourteen pounds? You got to be kidding me... how much does a couple of eggs and a handful of spinach cost? Disgraceful so we had the £7.50 ploughman's which was delicious. Lovely food though. Nice area, the family came round and we sat in the area by the football table and chatted and it was lovely. But if I can't wash my hair then unfortunately we can't stay there again... ah well. We will keep looking for the perfect hotel to do our visiting in.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lifeastrin
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Chose to stay here for the Goodwood Revival as it only 10 mins drive (traffic permitting) from the event and our default Premier Inn choices were full - consequently we did not have high expectations, but were favourably impressed. Our room was modern, spacious and clean, bathroom ditto - also very quiet, but we were rear-facing (overlooking the rear car park and open fields) and we did not suffer any noisy parties/discos during our stay. Food at dinner was also a pleasant surprise - it's not Michelin, but definitely a cut above average Brit Bistro/Pub grub, and well-priced too. Would stay again without hesitation.

1  Thank Essexscot
Reviewed 11 September 2013

This was my second stay at the White Swan this year.I can endorse the previous reviews but would add that weddings aren't always a problem,we asked and were given a room well away from the disco and couldn't hear it at all.Bathroom fans and banging doors can be tiresome but unavoidable in most hotels and the latter are hardly the hotels fault.If you are light sleepers and likely to be upset by this take earplugs ! The breakfasts are great and worth staying for on their own.By the way,if you are planning a meal in Arundel there are some great restaurants but they fill up fast at weekends so do book first.
Enjoy the White Swan - I did and will be staying again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay at The White Swan. We had a quiet room at the back of the hotel which overlooked the car park and fields.We ate in the restaurant on our arrival and enjoyed our meal. There is a good choice for breakfast and the waitress was very friendly and helpful. I would not recommend walking into Arundel town centre it is a very busy main road, there is ample parking in the town.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room situated at the back of the hotel.
1  Thank jeanStoke_on_trent
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arundel
Norfolk Arms Hotel
#7 of 7 in Arundel
Angmering Manor
Angmering Manor
#1 of 1 in Angmering

Been to The White Swan? Share your experiences!