“Superb”

Fishbourne Roman Palace
Ranked #15 of 67 things to do in Chichester
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I think the tour starts at two but check before you go, it has to be seen with the tour guide although you don’t have to. Most of this roman palace was built on but the west wing still survives , you go to see the mosaic s

All reviews
"half term"
in 15 reviews
"information boards"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

A friend and I visited while our wives went for Retail Therapy. This is a very large villa site with both a good museum and some excellent mosaics. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I've always wanted to visit Fishbourne since I first heard about it when I was still at school. The largest Roman period villa in the UK. The mosaics are fantastic. If you are expecting extant walls etc then you may be disappointed....Fishbourne is all about the mosaics. This site can be busy with school visits but that isn't a problem if the teachers keep them in order (were we any different in school?). Our visit coincided with a handling session at the Finds centre next door.....well worth it. As members of the Association of Roman Archaeology we had free entry.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

First see the historical overview, take your time, then go to see the excavations, especially the Medusa, the one who worshipped no gods, her head barely visible now. If you're lucky there might be a group of schoolchildren visiting the site, rushing all around, liking the skeleton buried there from another era.

See more reviews
Reviewed 9 May 2018

We had been staying in Chichester with friends and to be honest, a bunch of Roman ruins normally doesn't float my boat, but being outnumbered, I complied and have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The staff were incredibly friendly and explained everything before we entered. We started with the film and then, as the weather was great, we walked around the external areas. The film had explained what we were looking at. We then walked around the small museum which was informative without being to heavy on the information. The star of the show is the wonderfully preserved mosaic floors which have been covered under quite an amazing building. Walkways are built above the floors so there are good views and plenty of space. Quite mind blowing. Look out for the cemented trench at the far end where the water pipe was laid (and the reason the Palace was found). There is also a small shop with a good selection of books and general child friendly plastic stuff that all small children need. A real gem and I am so glad I was bullied into going. There is also a collection centre ( which I don't believe was open during our visit) and a tea room.