“Relax away from it all.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Canute Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chichester
Canute Cottages
Ripley, United Kingdom
“Relax away from it all.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

We have been staying at Canute Cottages in the Old Dairy on a regular basis since they opened. The standard of furnishings was excellent then and still is. You can walk down the lane to the edge of Chichester Old Harbour (approx 3,500 acres) and follow a wheelchair accessible trail along the edge of the harbour to The Point where there is a bench to sit on and watch the 'world sail by'.
There are all sorts of facilities for children in the old barn which in July had a webcam trained on an owl's nest in the roof of the barn.
This is one of our favourite places - sooooooo relaxing!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter A

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

My wife and I rented the Old Dairy with our two dogs in March 13 to attend an event at Goodwood Race Track.

The first thing I would say is that the website undersells itself as the cottages are bigger and much nicer than portrayed in the rather small photos.

Furnishings are to a high standard and the heating worked well (personally tested to -5c). The kitchen is well equipped and the beds comfortable. The owner welcomes well behaved dogs, and although the literature mentions a preference for small dogs our two labs felt comfortable and were made welcome.

The cottages are formed out of former farm buildings (probably stables) and form a courtyard with car parking at the far end. Three spaces are under cover. There is a common washing/utility room with very extensive local tourist information laid out and a Barn with some indoor games (Skittles/Ping Pong etc) to keep the children happy on rainy days. Each cottage has a small garden with seating outside.

The coast is a five minute walk away and a pathway around the peninsular allows access to a private path network that is available to guests that offers a delightful walk taking in the coast and some woodland. Great for kids and dogs alike.

All in all we enjoyed our stay and had no complaints. If staying in summer I suspect privacy would be a little limited with the cottages overlooking each other and any noisy guests would not find themselves popular. A rainy day might see demand for the barn games being high if a large number of children were in residence.

The only minus point for me was that towels are charged as an extra at £3 per person. This seemed a little trivial as the rental prices are in the sort of bracket where one would assume that towels and linen are included.

All in all I would recommend Canute Cottages to anyone who is looking for family accommodation and wants an environment that offers something for everyone.

A genuine find that we would not hesitate to return to. Our thanks go to Diana and her staff.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank BoeingBoy
Rutherglen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

I've been coming to canute for around 8 years, and since my first visit I've been very much in love.

Always a warm welcome from Diana, with an array of goodies waiting on us when we arrive (Cobnor apple juice, short bread)

The setting is lovely, just a short walk from the beach and surrounded by fields, it's like a whole other world.

If you're thinking of booking up, do it !

You will not regret it.

Thank you Diana.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Louise P
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2009

I booked one of these cottages after seeing their website. I wanted somewhere I could take my Mum who is in a wheelchair and Canute Cottages seemed to offer the approprite facilities. I hoped I had made the right choice as some properties claim to be fully accessible and you find they have only made a small gesture such as a ramp etc. But Canute Cottages is fantastic. I could get the wheelchair around the cottage and surroundings easily. Diana, the owner, was so helpful and provided a fireside chair for my Mum when asked and was anxious to know if we needed anything else - did I want the heating adjusted, was my Mum warm enough? The cottage decor is beautiful - matching pine furniture and very comfortable beds. There is a laundry room and masses of books, games, DVDs etc. It was lovely to sit on the patio outside the cottage for afternoon tea or a gin and tonic later. The biggest bonus of all was the wheelchair accessible path that has been created for about a mile along the sea wall. It is not usually easy to get a wheelchair to such a beautiful unspoiled area. The cottages are located in a truly peaceful and unspoiled spot - but a short drive up the peninusular to the main road are shops and restaurants and access to other lovely places such as Bosham, Dell Quay, Emsworth. I enjoyed my week so much that I have already booked to go again next Spring.

• Stayed October 2009
5 Thank solotripper
LONDON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2009

We have stayed at Canute Cottages for the past 8 years, and have no hesitation in recommending it unreservedly. It is beautifully situated, impeccably run by Diana, and boasts admirable green credentials. I know that most guests return year after year – some twice a year. I have not stayed at the campsite, but that also appears to be well-appointed, and I know it also has a large group of very loyal regulars. I can only suppose that the previous reviewer must be referring to a different establishment.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank SailorS1
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2009

We have actually stayed at Canute Cottages about 5 or 6 times and quite honestly I think the person that wrote the previous review has the wrong end of the stick which is such a shame. Am very sorry they had such an awful experience but would like to make clear the owner is (a) not a man and is (b) certainly the most lovely, helpful and accommodating person you could meet! My personal experience is that Canute Cottages themselves are smashing. They're well equipped & spotless, all mod cons, very well maintained indeed and nicely furnished, including beautiful paintings. We particularly liked how easy it was to recycle everything and that we could walk to the one of the best pubs in the world in about 15 minutes. The cottages are set in such a tranquil off the beaten track place you can't help but instantly feel relaxed and be amazed by the scenery, the mass of stars at night as there's no light polution and the unbelievable sunsets with a view across to the Isle of Wight. Just last Sunday I saw, against the backdrop of a sunset by the sea, curlews, egrits and herons plus a complete mass of snowdrops and that was just in the winter! And the owner Diana is both on hand should you need her and unobtrusive. Diana is also the campsite owner so somewhere along the way the previous reviewer has recieved incorrect info. Would I recommend these cottages & campsite? Oh Yes! My cousins are staying there in April!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marleneandpaul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chichester
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant
#1 of 3 in Selsey
The Kite House
The Kite House
#2 of 2 in East Wittering

Been to Canute Cottages? Share your experiences!