“The Walnut Tree near Chichester.”
Review of the walnut tree

the walnut tree
Ranked #49 of 239 Restaurants in Chichester
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wimborne, United Kingdom
“The Walnut Tree near Chichester.”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I visited this pub with my wife and a friend on Tuesday at lunchtime. Our friend knew of the pub from years ago when she lived in UK. On arrival, it was encouraging to see the car park fairly full and the outside appearance of the pub was pleasing. We received a friendly greeting on entering and ordered drinks before being given a choice of where to sit, ie in the bar or restaurant. The menu selection of specials was extensive and reasonably priced. None of us was very adventurous as we all ordered Gammon, Egg and Chips. This arrived fairly promptly and was well presented, and was enjoyed by us all. It was noticed that one of us wanted another drink and this was brought to the table. The only slight hiccough was when our order for coffee got mislaid but was speedily rectified when pointed out and apologies were offered. We enjoyed our experience. The interior is interesting with various dining areas inside and out. All the staff were extremely pleasant and welcoming.

Dorking, United Kingdom
“A nice little find !!!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Having visited this venue following a recommendation during a recent holiday our group experienced excellent food, friendly staff who were very accommodating to one of our party who was a wheelchair user. We enjoyed it so much that we booked a table and returned with a larger group a few days later and experienced the same excellent service.We concur with other reviews that there is a good sized car park, however there did not appear to be any designated disabled parking bays on either visit - although access was good into the restaurant.The only down side we experienced was sadly there is no disabled toilet, and the sympathetic and understanding staff explained that it was a listed building, and they had to apply for planning permission to build one!
Once this has been done - the venue will be perfect.

Crawley, United Kingdom
“Too much choice”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I visited this pub/restaurant twice whilst on holiday with family, one of whom is in a wheelchair. It has a lovely friendly atmosphere and although there is disabled access there are no disabled toilets, which proved difficult. However, I cannot fault the food..the mini quiche salad was served with new potatoes and coleslaw and was a real plateful. On my second visit I had lamb shank, one of my favourite dishes and I wasn't disappointed. It was served with a selection of vegetables and new potatoes and arrived at our table piping hot. All of my family enjoyed our visit.
I only have one criticism...the extensive menu is listed on blackboards by the door/kitchen entrance/toilet access and this area can become very crowded as people try to decide on their choices. A table menu would make the experience a lot easier, with maybe just 'specials' on the board.
Overall, an excellent eatery.....booking is advisable.

Wallingford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food was fabulous”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

My parents and I happened upon this pub/restaurant as it was the closest to the campsite we were staying at. Our first pleasant surprise was that we could bring the dog into the pub. We found one of the few table which were not reserved (would recommend booking to avoid disappointment) it was Saturday night. The menu didn't display children's option, but when asked they gave a variety of standards kids meal & said they would also do a child's portion from the main menu for £5. To my surprise the child's portion of sausage and chip were plenty adequate and value for money, 2 local sausages portion of chips and large portion of peas. My mum had the lamb shank, which had plenty of succulent meat which fell nicely of the bone, was served with steak knife, which certainly was not needed. I had the pork belly! I can not express how delicious it was, came out looking like a large steak, was perfectly seasoned and just melted in the mouth. The white chocolate and raspberry creme brûlée was fabulous, perfectly crisp top, with beautifully & not too sweet creme, yummy!!! Certainly value for money, we had 2 main meals, 2 kids meals & 3 puddings, the total bill was just under £49. The waitress' were lovely very friendly and Russell who took our orders was very professional. I will most defiantly be going back & would even travel from oxfordshire specifically to eat here again. AMAZING!

1 Thank BethReyhani
Hove, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not as expected.”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Happened upon the Walnut Tree on our way to West Wittering. It looked busy and we noticed award for 1913. Sadly our experience left us feeling disappointed - fish and chips left a lot to be desired being dry and, we felt, without flavour. Chips nice. My desert (mean with strawberries). We liked the ambience of the pub but it did not live up to our expectations, Sorry!

• Visited July 2014