“Good food, comfortable rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Horse & Groom

and 1 more site!
The Horse & Groom
Ranked #42 of 76 Chichester B&B and Inns
Hellfire Corner
“Good food, comfortable rooms”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We ended up here when stranded by weather at a nearby airfield, thanks to the local knowledge of a friend who eats here fairly frequently. At no notice, our group booked four rooms and descended en masse for a convivial meal and overnight stay.

Four stars hinted at rather more luxurious accommodation than actually exists, but checking later I found that AA stars do not work quite as some of us might have thought. The official definition, from the AA for 4 stars:

"Attentive, more personalised service. At least half of the bedrooms are en suite or have private bathrooms. Very good beds and high quality furniture. Breakfast offers a greater choice, and fresh ingredients are cooked and presented with a high level of care."

The room was clean, comfortable and perfectly adequate, if a little bland, but lacking the extras that other 4 star systems might offer & that one might anticipate without knowledge of the above. You can make a drink but there's no hairdryer, for example. However, I suspect a request wouldn't have met with a negative response, as we were treated well throughout.

I am possibly out of touch with the going rate for B&B, but £90 rooms (twins/doubles) were at the upper end of my scale so I had no problem requesting additional teabags and fresh milk. Presumably these rates are typical of the area, reflecting property prices as much as the visitor demographic, which has particular peaks related to Goodwood. Accommodation on the ground floor, somewhat unusual for many traditional inns, is worth noting for those with limited mobility (with or without beer).

We enjoyed our evening meals, which were good value in current pub grub tradition. The blackboard menu offered nothing too fancy, but nothing too bland: just right. Real ales keep the balance between 'restaurant' and 'pub'. Service was pleasant, friendly and helpful. The food was toothsome.

In the morning it was serve-yourself orange juice and cereals before a traditional cooked breakfast, accompanied by tea and coffee pots to suit. All plates were licked clean so full marks again for the food offering.

The staff we met were pleasant and helpful throughout. I don't know if the service deteriorates at busier times or those who found otherwise were unlucky, but during our visit there were no problems at all.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ChampChump7bc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Booked at last minute when preferred place in Chichester was full. Could not fault the staff for service and attention. Got shown to our room which was bigger than expected with a generous bathroom including bath and shower over. You got some noise from cars leaving the car park at closing time but our room backed onto the car park but no noise from the bar. The breakfast was good as was the main meal at night. Would recommend to anyone. The landlord and lady were away during our visit so could not comment on them as other reviewers have. The young staff, especially the one in charge, were excellent.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Having read the reviews I booked into the Horse & Groom with an open mind, with the Goodwood Festival starting within a few days I had little choice of accommodation but went with the H&G having read good things about the food.

When I arrived the young lady at the bar was very helpful and checked me in with no fuss and showed me to the room. I didn't realise the 2 people sat in the Bar drinking at the time of my arrival were the Landlord and Landlady, as they didn't acknowledge my arrival how would I know?

The room was as previously said, sparse with not much space, the bathroom was adequate but I found the shower a little small with little room for manoeuvre, I am not particularly large so I think this would be the case for all adults. As it was only £50 inc. Breakfast I couldn't moan about the size of the room but I did find the bed hard and again had to whack the radiator up to full blast as by 6pm I was freezing, again the duvet comment should be something the owners could consider.

The food was excellent, not cheap by any standards but you do get what you pay for, I had the garlic Ciabatta with cheese @ £4 and the Battered cod and chips @ £11.50, The portions are generous, especially the starter, I couldn't finish my main, which is a shame as I was looking forward to trying a dessert. The 2 bar staff that were on who also doubled as waitresses, were both excellent and efficient.

The football was on that evening and I asked the barstaff if there was any chance of a TV in the bar, I was informed that I had no chance, 'they have a telly in the cupboard but it only comes out sometimes when the Rugby is on' I know this is personal choice as you have a TV in the room but I can guarantee they will sell more drinks over the bar from guests if they were a little more flexible in this area.

The Breakfast was again very good and the Landlord was at least a little more friendly, I suspect that's because he knows you're about to leave though, he did at least thank me for staying and checkout was very quick and painless.

The Landlady unfortunately does give the impression that having guests who are not 'local' is a bit of an inconvenience, I have never stayed anywhere before whereby the hosts never smiled at anybody unless you were from the village. I get the impression that the locals and hosts had never actually ventured out into the real world and therefore looked upon visitors as people not to be trusted. This is shame as the food is great, rooms certainly OK for the money and the bar staff are all friendly and helpful.

Overall I wouldn't stay again out of choice but would eat there, as there is so much competition I suspect the Goodwood Festival and the restaurant keeps things ticking over but I certainly wouldn't be in a hurry to go back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank Stabester
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I'm sure I've stayed in a worse place than this but I can't remember when. Made to feel unwelcome from the outset by the landlord and locals. Hassled and harassed before the meal and abused by the landlord afterwards. The rooms were hugely overpriced and the AA4* rating is a joke, an unfunny joke. The place as a whole lacks character and seems to only still be in business due to it's location. Dire, absolutely dire.

On the plus side the food was good when it turned up and the young staff were nice and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
16 Thank Daniel M

Travellers are raving about these Chichester hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Called in about 9pm after being at the Races. Didn't have a booking but it was no problem.
We ordered an Avacado, warm chicken and bacon salad and the Lamb Shank. Both meals were hot, freshly cooked and tasty, would recommend eating here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2013

So first off I have to say we didn't stay here, or even have a table for lunch. What we did do was have a little incident with the car a little way down the road and the owners kindly let us use the car park to perform repairs! Not only that, they made me and my passenger a pot of tea and some toast and jam which they absolutely refused to take payment for. Fortunately we managed to get the car going again fairly easily and continued on our travels. They honestly could not have been more helpful and made the whole ordeal of breaking down far more bearable. So thank you so much! If we are ever in the area again we will definitely be popping in for a proper meal!

Stayed June 2013
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We have been to the Horse and Groom twice this month. Clearly a popular pub both for food and drink. We had lunch both times, there was a good choice on the chalk board menu, and all three of us chose differently and we were all very satisfied. The food was piping hot, well cooked and plenty of it!. The service was quick despite the large numbers eating (a wake first time and a birthday party on the second). The desserts were also delicious. Would recommend to others but make a reservation first especially on Sundays.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family