“An undiscovered gem!”
Review of The Nags Head

The Nags Head
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Chichester
Reviewed 10 July 2012

What should have been a romantic night in a boutique hotel near Chichester turned out to be nothing like described on their website, my husband managed to get me to pop into the town centre to try and find something to eat. As I lagged behind him gutted that our evening had come to nothing, we came across The Nags Head. I looked at the menu and saw a refreshing change from the "usual"pub grub I was expecting to see. I perked up when I saw the mouthwatering dishes on offer. Upon entering we were greeted by Alex with a huge welcoming smile. The starters was a baked Camembert to share...outstanding! The mains followed, Haddock on creamy mash, poached egg and hollandaise sauce...with spinach, my husband had the Chicken stroganoff, both of which were superb. The service which included the Chef loaning me his phone charger to zap my dead phone to enable me to sat nav our way home, the delightful Alex who for a young man with superb customer services, and a manager who clearly has a great team under him I give a 10/10! Well return without doubt!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PussofSouthwater

Reviewed 9 July 2012

I come here all the time, even last week and i'm never disappointed. I also had my work christmas meal here too and we all had a really good time. The carvery is great, good choice of meats and huge yorkshire puddings, even if mine was a bit hard. But i really enjoy it here and the cheesecake is TOO DIE FOR.

Room Tip: I haven't been in a room before so don't know.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ilikefood1993
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I'm sorry to state the Nags Head isn't what it once was, the owners are clearly angled towards maximum profit for minimum effort. Having been advised well in advance by friends to book a table on a Sunday, I did so nine days in advance for myself and 3 others, part business, part pleasure lunch, you know the sort. Upon arriving 10 minutes early we were ordered, not asked to take a seat in the bar area and grab a drink as the guests at our table, we were told were not quite finished, which is fair enough. The bar was, to put it lightly heaving, mostly with other parties waiting to be seated, and as a result, it took nearly 10 minutes to buy 4 drinks. However, once my party had their drinks, it was clear there was no where to sit, so we were left standing at the bar feeling rather forgotten.
Half an hour later I went to speak to who I presume is the manageress, who rather curtly told me to 'hold on'. By this time quite a que of people had built up, with the same problem as us. We were eventually shown to our table by a very polite waitress. The restaurant area was very hot and noisy, not the best place in the world to hold a conversation, but we persevered. Two of us ordered the 'highly recommended' carvery, the meat was very dry and only the beef had any reminiscent of flavour, the potatoes had also clearly been standing for some time, coupled with a poor vegetable selection compared to most self-service carveries I've eaten. The only salvation were the giant yorkshire puddings, but even so, you had to choose yours carefully as some just looked like road-kill. For £10.95 in this economic climate small businesses such as this should know that people expect to get their monies worth.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheStudentHouseLTD
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Being local, my wife and I popped in to The Nags the other night for a quick bite.
This was one of the very worst meals I have ever come across.
The main option was the carvery.
My only advice to other diners is to avoid it like the plague.
The gammon and turkey was drier than the leather on the bottom of my shoes. So much so that without the gloopy gravy it was almost impossible to swallow.
Vegetables were mushy, bland and cooked way beyond their lives.
The whole experience was an insult to food.
The only reason I've given it 2 stars is because my wife said that the cauliflower cheese was edible.
If you value even half decent food then avoid this place at all costs!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank alanofchichester
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We took our dear mothers for a special lunch at the Nags Head and had booked a table for 6 at 1.30pm. We arrived at 1.30 and were told they were running late and would we buy a drink and sit down for a few minutes, then they would call us when the table was ready.
We duly sat for the next hour and waited, while we watched another 20 or so people gradually became just as annoyed as they waited for their booked tables which were still occupied.
We eventually had our lunch, not a bad carvery roast, although the plates were too small for some of our hungrier members.
The final insult came when we remarked to the manager that we were disappointed to have waited so long and his response was to swear at us.
Not what I would have wanted or expected from a long established pub like this.
I don't like to post reviews like this but this was too bad not to mention, they had obviously overbooked in order to take more money.
Don't go there.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Phil&Heather99
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We stayed at the Nags for one night. It is well positioned to explore Chichester and there is parking at the rear which is free 6pm-8am (if you can get a space). The room was small and very warm and pretty basic but served a purpose. It's by no means a hotel but offered a reasonable enough stay for a night - but it's not somewhere you would spend any longer as the room we had was small and very hot!

Room Tip: Ask for the Amberley room - its at the back of the pub and bigger (apparently)
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GolfUniform7
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Our secnd trip to the Nags Head. Very well situated, in alively part of chichester, close to the town centre, and a ten-minute walk to the theatre. Our room and bathroom were small, but spotlessly clean, although the bathroom could have done with a lookover by manageent, in that the shower screen leaked, the lavatory seat wouldn't stay up, and the shelf over the basin fell down! Nothing that a detailed inspection wouldnt get fixed. Sleep disrupted a bit by guests arriving via the fire escape in the iddle of the night, as access is not available through the bar area after hours. Wonderful, helpful, lady on housekeeping duty - couldn't do enough for us. Likewise the breakfast chef pulled out all the stops on Sunday morning when we arrived early having been mis-informed about the servie time. We left feeling that we would very happily return.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple