“AUGUST 2012”
Review of The Nags Head

The Nags Head
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Chichester
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed over a long weekend .We couldn't fault the friendliness of the staff .Our room was at the front and being on the ring road was noisy for most of the evening. The room had secondary double glazing but as the weather was hot i didn't keep out the noise as it was open.Parking in Chichester is pay and display (no parking at pub) but staff suggested the rear pay & display or one 2 mins walk not a problem We didn't eat an evening meal at the pub but next time ! well presented and busy . The breakfasts were included in the room price and there was a good choice .The theater is within walking distance 15-20 min back through the town a pleasant stroll and a beer in the pub bar to finish. Recomended.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 July 2012

My wife and I decided to visit this wonderful, traditional public house at the end of July for two days. The location couldn't have been better as we explored the local area, including a wonderful visit to Arundel, a must for all. We were immediately impressed by the friendly bar staff who welcomed and showed us our room which was spacious, impeccably clean with a large, comfortable bed. After a long day travelling we were looking forward to trying the famous carvery which did not disappoint. The meal was simply superb and was by far the best meal we had during our stay. We will certainly be returning to this lovely B&B next year.

1  Thank Hagler123
Reviewed 22 July 2012

This lovely bar and restaurant is certainly worth looking out.

Very good selection of real ales, including a great pint of Flowers, good menu choice and great service.

We went there on Saturday lunch and had the Carvery and the fish pie - all the food was great.

Certainly recommended.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

After a great week in Chichester our favoured home for this period was only to good. The locals all very accommodating, the staff equally as welcoming. Considering it is (I would have thought) there busiest time of the year due to the Goodwood Festival of Speed they all really kept it together. For a hearty meal in a traditional English environment I can't reccommend The Nags enough! See you next year and thank you!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 10 July 2012

What should have been a romantic night in a boutique hotel near Chichester turned out to be nothing like described on their website, my husband managed to get me to pop into the town centre to try and find something to eat. As I lagged behind him gutted that our evening had come to nothing, we came across The Nags Head. I looked at the menu and saw a refreshing change from the "usual"pub grub I was expecting to see. I perked up when I saw the mouthwatering dishes on offer. Upon entering we were greeted by Alex with a huge welcoming smile. The starters was a baked Camembert to share...outstanding! The mains followed, Haddock on creamy mash, poached egg and hollandaise sauce...with spinach, my husband had the Chicken stroganoff, both of which were superb. The service which included the Chef loaning me his phone charger to zap my dead phone to enable me to sat nav our way home, the delightful Alex who for a young man with superb customer services, and a manager who clearly has a great team under him I give a 10/10! Well return without doubt!

1  Thank PussofSouthwater
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I come here all the time, even last week and i'm never disappointed. I also had my work christmas meal here too and we all had a really good time. The carvery is great, good choice of meats and huge yorkshire puddings, even if mine was a bit hard. But i really enjoy it here and the cheesecake is TOO DIE FOR.

Room Tip: I haven't been in a room before so don't know.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ilikefood1993
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I'm sorry to state the Nags Head isn't what it once was, the owners are clearly angled towards maximum profit for minimum effort. Having been advised well in advance by friends to book a table on a Sunday, I did so nine days in advance for myself and 3 others, part business, part pleasure lunch, you know the sort. Upon arriving 10 minutes early we were ordered, not asked to take a seat in the bar area and grab a drink as the guests at our table, we were told were not quite finished, which is fair enough. The bar was, to put it lightly heaving, mostly with other parties waiting to be seated, and as a result, it took nearly 10 minutes to buy 4 drinks. However, once my party had their drinks, it was clear there was no where to sit, so we were left standing at the bar feeling rather forgotten.
Half an hour later I went to speak to who I presume is the manageress, who rather curtly told me to 'hold on'. By this time quite a que of people had built up, with the same problem as us. We were eventually shown to our table by a very polite waitress. The restaurant area was very hot and noisy, not the best place in the world to hold a conversation, but we persevered. Two of us ordered the 'highly recommended' carvery, the meat was very dry and only the beef had any reminiscent of flavour, the potatoes had also clearly been standing for some time, coupled with a poor vegetable selection compared to most self-service carveries I've eaten. The only salvation were the giant yorkshire puddings, but even so, you had to choose yours carefully as some just looked like road-kill. For £10.95 in this economic climate small businesses such as this should know that people expect to get their monies worth.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends