“Never again” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Chichester
Selsey, England, United Kingdom
“Never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Went to the nags last night to celebrate a family birthday. After finally getting served we then waited over an hour for food. Even though our meals were nice the waitress service was very poor. We was not happy with the way we was treated and when we complained they said they had staff shortage and were busy. They certainly wasn't busy as half the restaurant was empty. The nags staff certainly ruined a good family evening out and we won't be returning

• Stayed March 2014
TheNagsHead, Owner at The Nags Head, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We pride ourselves in quality service, and it is unfortunate that your experience wasn't stellar on such an important occasion, this will be looked into. Your late arrival during our busiest period of the night did put extra pressure on the kitchen. Our food is freshly prepared, which does take time, and it is unfortunate that you arrived at the same time as other parties, therefore affecting the timing of our food preparation. We would like you to know that we take these critiques very seriously. Thank you for expressing your concern.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Shanklin, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We booked a night with this hotel at a reduced price via www.laterooms.com and received emailed confirmation of our booking complete with booking reference number. Unfortunately we were then told by the hotel, only an hour before we were due to arrive, that there had been a mistake on the pricing and they refused to honor it!!! This left us in the middle of Chichester on a Friday evening with nowhere to stay! Both laterooms.com and the hotel blamed each other..... Bottom line, don't stay at the Nags Head and use an alternative booking comparison site!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
TheNagsHead, Owner at The Nags Head, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for expressing your concern with our room prices. Unfortunately, we do not offer our rooms for £1. This was a very poor error made by a third party website, seeing as our rooms have never been offered for £1 on our own website. We are also sorry that when we offered you a discounted price due to the mistake it still did not meet your satisfaction. Overall, we always honour our prices, but only when they are prices that we have set ourselves. Please accept our sincere apologies for your bad experience, and perhaps use more caution when dealing with third party websites in the future.
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

I booked into this place on business. I got a good rate on a comparison website. To be fair - it was worth what I paid - but not worth the usual asking price. Why? Well, I've had to give this some thought. Essentially it is a pub. It had big screens in the public bars and as I arrived an international football game was on. The pub was full of football fans - I was heckled by some of the patrons on my way through the bar area - looking for reception - which turned out to be the counter where you book and pay for the restaurant. So - a noisy, intimidating environment - poorly signposted and not logically laid out. Basically - a pub. I have no problem with that - and as a pub, they were popular and catered for a pub crowd.

On the other hand, they were also trying to be a hotel. This seemed to be a forgotten element of the business. No clear reception, the rooms were a bit dated - but ok. Bathroom was good - internet was available and an iron and ironing board was provided on request. It was a quiet and comfortable nights sleep.

But here is my confusion. The pub has a very nice dining area - a kind of converted courtyard. The menu seemed typically pub like - but the prices were extraordinary. I ordered a steak and a glass of wine - and paid £35. So, I find myself with what was in my view an expensive (for a pub) meal, in a space occupied by football fans, paying high dining prices. And staying in an ok room - priced at city hotel prices (although that is not what I paid - and would not have stayed there at the regular asking price as it would clearly not have been value for money). Confusing.

Just as an aside, the steak was overcooked - disappointing at the price. No-one asked if it was ok at the time - and there was no-one to tell until it came time to pay. The plate size was huge - but size is not quality - and I could not eat half of what was served - therefore , it was just wasted. Breakfast was very good - but again overcooked poached eggs - not a good sign.

On the plus side the breakfast staff were excellent. Very helpful and provided direction for where i needed to go.

Overall - a mixed review. Poor value for money - but if you get a good deal on the room it is ok - but don't eat there! The food is ok - not great.

Room Tip: all rooms seemed the same - hidden around stairs and corridors. You need a good sense of direction.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
Petersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

We dropped in for a quick sandwich and were not disappointed. They used fresh bread, and not the sliced "plastic" variety, filled with plenty of tasty fresh ham and salad in one and generous portions in the club sandwich.

Overall we were pleasantly surprised and would gladly return.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

My wife and I have just returned after having lunch at the Nags Head Chichester, I ordered pork loin from the wall board and asked the waiter what veg came with it he did not know so had to ask the kitchen, when it arrived it was not loin more like fatty gammon, he returned latter to ask if every thing was o.k I told him no as I had ordered pork loin not what was on my plate, he went to the kitchen and cam back to tell me it was in fact a pork chop I told him that the wall board said loin not chops he just walked away, I was asked later by a waitress if the food was o.k and told her no and got the same response, when I came to pay I complained to the cashier she just gave me the bill and ignored me and asked the next customer if she could help.
I should have known better as on my last visit I had the roast dinner I went to the counter for my meat and waited for ages as their was no one to carve the meat I had to ask a waiter to get someone,
I think the the manager needs to take a long look how the place is being run,
I will certainty will not return as their is many better restaurants in Chichester. The restaurant was busy, but this should not be an excuse for ignorant staff.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Harrogate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

We visited the restaurant as a family of 4 with a 20 month old. The Restaurant is lovely, well lit and reasonably spaced. The staff were attentive and always on hand when needed. However the food as well presented as it was only warm at best and served on cold plates which led to the food going cold very quickly.
This was mentioned to staff who took the suggestionto the chef. Sort this it and the rating would be better

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Ivybridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Nice traditional pub tastefully extended, with lovely clean accommodation and very convenient for the town centre. We had booked a twin room for our teenage children and they were delighted to be given a room with twin beds and an adjoining room with a double bed, both with TVs. We had a very spacious room with a huge bed which was very comfortable. The weather was very cold however the rooms were very well heated and we felt very cosy. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating and nothing was a problem. The breakfast was delicious, and although we didn't have a meal there we saw people dining and the food looked fabulous, particularly the carvery. We will definitely stay there again when we next visit Chichester.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are less noisy as it is situated on a busy road
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family