“Not impressed”
Review of The Nags Head

The Nags Head
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Chichester
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We visited for the carvery Sunday lunch and to be honest non of us were impressed with the food. The chef carving the meat was very put out when I asked for a yorkshire pudding that wasn't sat on the hot plate with the meat because I am vegetarian. He told me that he would get one for me when he wasn't busy because he had to serve meat to the, very long, queue of customers. Only a few vegetables were on offer and all being in water meant that a lot of water ended up on the plate.
I was shocked at the price of £11.95 for the meal. The owners need to visit a Toby Carvery and see what they offer for £5.99, much nicer food and a bigger choice of vegetables.
The staff at the Nags Head were all lovely and very helpful, shame about the food.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We went over for lunch, mid week. It was extremely quiet. But we liked it that way! We had the excellent scampi and chips with peas. Washed down with three pints of London Pride and soda ( they had run out of lime!).

It was very easy to park with the pay and display car park just adjoining. Food was of high quality. Service, both at the bar and food orders could not be faulted. A great time we had! Thank you.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We ate here on a very busy Sunday evening (fathers day) for my daughter's birthday with family and overall had a good meal, however there is some lacking with service and attention to detail.
Upon arrival we were given a menu but no drinks menu and as we'd entered via the rear of the building hadn't been anywhere near the bar before being seated and there was some confusion over what wines and bitters were available, the waitress also forgot our jug of water that one of our party had requested.
Our food order was taken and we were advised that there may be a slightly longer wait than normal for the food ordered off of the menu as it was busy. This suited us as the queue for the carvery was quite long anyway and we timed everything just right as it happened and were all able to eat together. The food overall was nice, I had the burger which was good although I couldn't finish it all, the fresh salsa (I think) that came with it was lovely and the triple cut chips were very nice. A couple of little niggles with some of the veg with the carvery but when cooking to cater for that amount of people not everything will be cooked exactly to everyone's liking. My daughter was very complimentary about the gammon.
The service was a little dissapointing, there was no check back at the table and nobody asked if we were ok for drinks, we had to attract attention for refills and missing water. The mussels arrived with no finger bowl and it was a passing waitress that noticed it was absent and reminded our waitress she'd forgotten it. We weren't asked until after our plates were cleared if everything had been ok with the meal, as ours was fine this didn't really matter but had something been wrong it may not have been easily rectified.
All in all our meal was good although the prices were a little steep, £1.75 for cheese on a burger is a lot and the drinks were expensive.
I have worked in the hospitality industry for many years, both in chain pubs/restaurants and independently owned/leased establishments and it is the attention to detail that really makes a visit, and will get return customers. Fathers day is a very busy day for any business of this type and it can be a long day for staff but the little things were forgotten today, maybe a little extra staff training and management can make a nice establishment as this place is into a great one.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rachael H
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Went here with my son this evening, very busy, but we did not have to wait at all. The food/staff/ambience were brilliant. Very clean, all the staff were very smiley and made you feel comfortable. You must try this place, you will not regret it. Very yummy !!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Shirley W W
Reviewed 18 May 2014

After reading some of the reviews I was very surprised that there were some negative ones on here. We visited The Nags Head for a late lunch today. We found them purely by chance when we parked in a different car park! We were seated immediately and drinks arrived promptly. We ordered the duck salad, the chicken salad and a plain burger with chips. It all arrived in a reasonable time. The meals were presented well and tasted amazing. My son said it was the best burger he had had in a long time (he is autistic and only eats burgers!). We all had desserts, ice cream, chocolate brownie and Eton mess. Again all were beautifully presented and tasted as good as they looked. Not a cheap place to eat but not especially expensive either, I don't mind paying a bit more if you thoroughly enjoy the food. We will definitely visit again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank remada
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I went to the Nags Head for a meal after shopping. The Pub decor has certainly improved but the food was expensive and not very good. I had fish & chips, my husband had a beef burger. My fish was very small, lots of batter hardly any fish and it was very dry. My husband liked the burger but neither one of us thought much of the chips. I also thought £4.40 for a pint of Guinness was a bit steep. Would not return, I'm afraid.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Yuggerbug
TheNagsHead, Owner at The Nags Head, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

thank you for your comments. we try to make a effort to respond to constructive criticism as this can only help are business grow and improve. we were however slightly confused as when the owner cleared your plates and asked if everything was ok they were empty and you had no complaints which in after reading this we were confused. we like that you commented on the décor as we are always looking to make the pub/resturaunt a nicer place to spend the day. as for the price of Guinness we are sorry about this but are prices are set by the brewery and we are still cheaper than several places in town.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

My partner and I have eaten at the Nags for many years and always find the service and food very good. However, I must admit we had not been for a while and decided to return a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday evening at gone eight o'clock so it was not particularly busy.

Firstly, it would appear the waiting staff have changed and these 'newbies' were not as friendly or attentive as the previous staff. I asked for a diet coke and what arrived was a pint of very flat and unpalatable liquid, now I am not one to complain but I just couldn't drink it and I assumed the pump must need changing; or whatever happens. So back my drink went and after a good 15 minutes another pint of diet coke was bought out and there was no apology and admittedly it tasted a little better even I could see there were still no bubbles and it was still relatively flat. When I mentioned this to the waiter I got a response along the lines of there was nothing else he could do?!

Regardless, on perusing the menu I could see that my normal dish had now been removed and yes I am quite a fussy vegetarian but I didn't fancy a vege burger; I could get this anywhere and neither on a Saturday night did I fancy a carvery. After much consideration I opted to have the fish cakes as a main instead of the starter with the triple cooked chips. The fish cakes were really nothing to write home about but the chips were very good and my partner had the carvery and said it was very good; which I understand it normally is. However; again a reflection on the poor service..normally if one of us was having the carvery and the other was having a meal chosen from the menu we would be told when to go up to the carvery. Obviously this was done so there is at at least some chance of you both starting your meals together but my partner was not told to go up so when my food came out he then took it upon himself to go up whilst I waited for him to return with his meal.

On completion of our meals we sat there for a good 20 minutes before our plates were taken away and my other half requested the desert menu. Now had they been run off their feet or it had been mother's day I may have been more understanding however it was very quiet so much so that the waiter/waitresses were standing by the till talking and this is what irked me.

Overall the food was not unpleasant, yes I was annoyed that they no longer served my preferred dish but I really do feel the service level has dropped which is a shame as we used to very much enjoy going for dinner here and will not be returning in the near future.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple