“Seriously run down, needs investment and a makeover badly”

Earnley Butterflies Birds and Beasts
Kent, UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Seriously run down, needs investment and a makeover badly”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My parents, my husband and I took my baby daughter here as we thought she would be interested in watching the butterflies and birds. The butterfly house was ok, in need of replanting and a bit of a makeover, however the the birdhouse was horrendous - absolutely covered in bindweed, I've seen better front gardens with mattresses in them. It was a greenhouse with no ventilation and was far too hot for the (few) birds who were motionless and seemed desperately unhappy. The gardens were poor, the animal exhibits were all overgrown to the point where you could not see the animals and the nostalgia museum was an extremely weird addition and also very outdated and filthy.

This could be an excellent attraction but it needs serious investment, the tickets weren't cheap so you'd think at a minimum they could hire a gardener to take out the worst of the weeds once a week. If my garden and my pets looked like that I'd be ashamed, not open it out to the public!

4 Thank SuperfranKent

London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Small children loved it!”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Our small family keep asking when they can go back! Yes, the whole place could do with an overhaul and more investment could certainly be made, but do the animals look healthy and well cared for? Yes!
Lots of beautiful butterflies, gorgeous cockatiels and chattering budgies.

Friendly donkeys, curious guineapigs, jumping bunnies, inquisitive turtles, snakes and lizards all kept the little ones amused.

If you want somewhere for the little ones to relax and explore, this small venue is ideal.

1 Thank JFT7
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Disgusting”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

When here today 18th july 2014 for a nice trip to end our holiday and I was absolutely disgusted with the treatment of the animals. It was a very hot day today and we walked into the bird aviary which is practically a greenhouse and the birds were very inactive and hiding up in the shade I noticed the only available water source was a 2 concrete bowls of green stagnate water I gave the cockatoo some water from my drink bottle and it instantly perked up and stared to sing when I told staff the response was we put the sprinklers on this morning...they did put them on and the bird perked up. As we carried on walking round the reptiles all had the heat lamps on considering they were in a greenhouse too and was very hot, the rabbits, tortoises, guinea pigs all ran over to us like they have never been fed or only get fed by visitors which wasnt very many. The rabbits had no grass in their enclosure and only one water bottle for 10 plus rabbits (or so I could see). The whole attraction looked run down and overgrown...think this whole place needs revamping and hire competent staff, which care about the welfare of the animals

5 Thank Chloe D
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“TORTURED ANIMALS AND JUST AWFUL PLACE TO VISIT”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Took the wife for a day out to the witterings and followed the signs as we wanted something to do down there, paid £9.00 each to get into a large industrial greenhouse that had
large butterfly enclosure with a few butterflies
aviary was full of cockatiels and a few parrots and a large talking parrot that was locked in a cage desperate to get out. the temperature was around 35 centigrade inside and all the birds seemed to be suffering, the maze of gardens was confusing out to a picnic area with 2 donkeys and then climb into what looked like an old lorry trailer for the deep sea exhibition.
back through the cafe and out to a museum that I have never seen such a jumble of stuff with pictures photocopied badly in black & white on the walls, some of the displays were covered in mold from leaking roof and the display of antique chairs just made us laugh.
reptile center had a couple of animals in small tanks looking sorry while the other 75% must have made a great escape style run for it as the tanks were empty. tortoises seemed happy enough as they were trying to make more of themselves, guinea pigs were happy and friendly, chipmunks looked seriously ill in the heat, birds of prey looked very bored and the rabbits seemed so hungry that they started attacking each other for food after we fed them so ended up pulling up dandelions around the site for all of them to eat, felt sorry for them as they were very hot in the summer and their shelter was pained black to make it even hotter for them, the chickens were so hungry they followed everyone that walked by their pen with no sign of food or water in the enclosure
Very sorry to see animals suffering and the rest was just poor

4 Thank Keith W
LONDON
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Tired... Enclosures look small”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We were expecting a small attraction so knew things would be on a smaller scale.

It's extremely hot on a warm day as most is under greenhouses and it's a bit maze like to get anywhere.

The butterfly house was lovely but boiling and most of the other areas "ok" children's play area, museum and ship wreck.

The hawk and owl enclosures look so small for the habitants it encloses with hardly anything to keep interest. The reptile room again looked like the enclosures on the small side for such animals.

We wouldn't return especially the amount charged.

1 Thank TRAVELBUNNY12