“A terrible day out!!”

Earnley Butterflies Birds and Beasts
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This place is seriously overpriced! We were appalled at the conditions the animals were kept in. Gardens aren't gardens at all they are just different areas for weeds to grow. Totally unsuitable to push a pushchair round.

3  Thank Emsiefrog

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Over priced at £28 for a family of 4. Horrendous conditions in the bird house. Tiny butterfly enclosure. Very very dirty, they have a nostalgia exhibition that has a rodent problem. With droppings over the exhibits.
Gardens can't be maintained as the plants are just about dead.
Words can't really do it justice how bad this dump really is. AVOID !!!

5  Thank david_k_76_11
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My parents, my husband and I took my baby daughter here as we thought she would be interested in watching the butterflies and birds. The butterfly house was ok, in need of replanting and a bit of a makeover, however the the birdhouse was horrendous - absolutely covered in bindweed, I've seen better front gardens with mattresses in them. It was a greenhouse with no ventilation and was far too hot for the (few) birds who were motionless and seemed desperately unhappy. The gardens were poor, the animal exhibits were all overgrown to the point where you could not see the animals and the nostalgia museum was an extremely weird addition and also very outdated and filthy.

This could be an excellent attraction but it needs serious investment, the tickets weren't cheap so you'd think at a minimum they could hire a gardener to take out the worst of the weeds once a week. If my garden and my pets looked like that I'd be ashamed, not open it out to the public!

4  Thank SuperfranKent
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our small family keep asking when they can go back! Yes, the whole place could do with an overhaul and more investment could certainly be made, but do the animals look healthy and well cared for? Yes!
Lots of beautiful butterflies, gorgeous cockatiels and chattering budgies.

Friendly donkeys, curious guineapigs, jumping bunnies, inquisitive turtles, snakes and lizards all kept the little ones amused.

If you want somewhere for the little ones to relax and explore, this small venue is ideal.

1  Thank JFT7
Reviewed 18 July 2014

When here today 18th july 2014 for a nice trip to end our holiday and I was absolutely disgusted with the treatment of the animals. It was a very hot day today and we walked into the bird aviary which is practically a greenhouse and the birds were very inactive and hiding up in the shade I noticed the only available water source was a 2 concrete bowls of green stagnate water I gave the cockatoo some water from my drink bottle and it instantly perked up and stared to sing when I told staff the response was we put the sprinklers on this morning...they did put them on and the bird perked up. As we carried on walking round the reptiles all had the heat lamps on considering they were in a greenhouse too and was very hot, the rabbits, tortoises, guinea pigs all ran over to us like they have never been fed or only get fed by visitors which wasnt very many. The rabbits had no grass in their enclosure and only one water bottle for 10 plus rabbits (or so I could see). The whole attraction looked run down and overgrown...think this whole place needs revamping and hire competent staff, which care about the welfare of the animals

5  Thank Chloe D