“Very good!”

Ranked #60 of 256 Restaurants in Chichester
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We went for the Goodwood festival of speed and this pub is pleasantly located in a small and very nice village nearby. It is recommended by the pub guides for beer and food. That not without a reason as we had a very well done seafood-lunch in beautifull surroundings, served by friendly and helpfull staff.

Highly recommended!

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Came here for lunch especially, as was visitng a nearby tourist attraction - a friend said it was good. Not sure what I expected, but I thought it was just ok to good. Wouldn't made a special effort to return. Staff pleasant enough, thought it was a little pricey.

Reviewed 21 June 2011

We have visited The Star several times in the 5 years we have lived in West Sussex, and always thought this was a really nice place. But we went late last summer and met up with friends. It was a leisurely Sunday lunchtime, I had 2 courses, the first was I think a goats cheese tart which was delicious, followed by Thai chilli prawns on rice. There were so many chillis they nearly blew my head off, it seemed like an even ratio of chilli flakes and grains of rice. No matter, I scraped the chilli off as best I could and enjoyed my prawns and copious amounts of water. Everyone elses food was delicious. but when i got up to leave some time later, I had bad pains in my stomach, followed by nausea for the next couple of hours, which finished off with severe sickness (I could have been so much more descriptive here, something about projectiles ....!!!). Concerned for other people who may be visiting that day, my husband rang that evening and spoke to the manager to tell them I had had prawns and was now very sick.. His response - "oh, ok, tell her we hope she gets better" , no real concern, no promises to investigate - means we will never be returning!!!

1  Thank karenb284
Reviewed 10 April 2011

One of our favourite places to eat around the winchester area. Excellent landlord, knows his stuff. Food always great in a relaxed atmosphere. Not pretending to be something it's not. Don't forget to check out fish specials and the pudding are naughty but nice.

Reviewed 3 April 2011

We came here recently for a family meal. It was with a set menu, 3 courses for 20 something pounds, of which there was a good variety of both meat and fish dishes, forgot to look for the veggie option sorry!
Unfortunately, the unsmiling waitress in jeans put a dampner on the otherwise good atmosphere, especially when she dropped the wine on the table with a "there's your wine" and walked off, without even offering for anyone to atste it first, let alone pouring for anyone. we had a giggle about it, my dad taking over instead, and waited for someone to come and take our order.
Cue sullen waitress no. 2, who did not smile ONCE, not even the ghost of one, and sighed and rolled her eyes before walking off without a word (to ask the other waitress) when I asked if the roast pork came with crackling...

Anyway, I had whitebait to start, the portion was large and the batter had the odd flake of chilli in which was a nice touch. The salmon roulade and smoked chicken ceaser portions were not so generous, but the ingredients were fresh and the salad garnish was full of nice unusual peppery leaves - rather than your ordinary gem or baby leaves. bread came out after the starters which meant some confusion on whether it was 'for' someone or not, but the bread was nice and fresh/soft so that was good.
The main courses were good too, although the pork was VERY fatty, about half I'd say, and the crackling was burnt - you don't need to burn it to get it crispy! :p Everyone else enjoyed theor Beef roast dinner too. The Roast potatoes were only just cooked but crispsy on the outside and there were 3 dishes of veg between the 5 of us, which is actually quite good compared to some other places I've been to.
Pudding choice was again very broad, we all had something different, I had the Eton Mess, which was made the 'lazy way', mixing it all beforehand so you can just slap it on the plate (yes I have worked in kitchens before, teehee). This meant that a lot of the meringue had dissolved into the copious amounts of cream, and I had blueberries instead of raspberries but it was nice enough. Chocolate Tart was delicious, Rhubarb crumble had been nuked for too long so my Dad had to wait a bit for it to cool down and then do lots of blowing, but the custard portion was again generous and the cheesecake was absolutely scrummy, and looked very pretty too.
Not once were we asked if we would like anymore drinks, and they forgot to bring out the sauces that went with the main meals (they were listed on the menu as 'part' of the dish). I would like to say it was because they were busy but there were always between 2 and 4 of them chatting at the bar, so...
Usually bad service doesn't annoy me that much, but here it was so uneccesary, and really the only bad point, so it really stood out.
On the upside the green with the pond outside is pretty, and the pub's garden is sheltered and sunny too.
Perhaps the waitresses will be different when you go - but perhaps just don't take it personally, or expect it... :)

1  Thank fenny89