“Curates Egg - good in parts”
Review of The Star & Garter

The Star & Garter
Ranked #64 of 247 Restaurants in Chichester
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
West Sussex, United Kingdom
“Curates Egg - good in parts”
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Tucked way in the village of East Dean I had forgotten that this pub existed amongst all the others in and around the South Downs.
Went for Sunday Lunch with friends and it was variable. I am afraid that I cannot totally agree with the majority of glowing comments.
Good points and there were many. Staff were very pleasant with character and personality. Prompt service at the bar and giving us menus.
Not a great long menu which to me means the deep freeze and microwave are unlikely to come into play!
The impression from the menu on the Sunday was rustic food for those brave souls tramping over the Downs.
(Just a point if you are thinking of dining, there are no menus on the website, not even sample menus).
Priced at £24.00 for three courses very reasonably priced along with a competitive wine list. Also no sneaky little extras for bread etc.
Got quite excited about a goats cheese brûlée. Sadly grilled goats cheese did not quite live up to the billing! Can I also make a plea through TripAdvisor, Cos lettuce does not a Prawn Cocktail make. Iceberg lettuce please.
Mains were in the main OK. Maybe the Venison Casserole could have used a different cut from the deer, it was a bit tough. Maybe being cooked a little longer might help.
The website makes comments on local sourcing. My Cornish Haddock obviously swam a long way to make this happen! I have noted a previous comment on the Fish and Chips, mine was very good, crisp batter and very good chips.
Biggest gripe with the mains COLD plates for all the main courses. First time in a long time that I have had this happen. Maybe the hot cupboard was over stretched on what appeared to be a busy lunch.
Desserts again variable Apple Crumble good. Baileys Bread and Butter Pudding not so. Why add something to what should stand on its merits.
My big complaint these days Cheese. Two very good cheeses on the cheese board and one very plastic indeterminate yellow blob with I think mustard seeds in it, bit nasty.
I think that with a bit more thought and care this place could give the other 'destination' pubs in the area a real run for there money.
Do they want or care enough to do it or rely on position to bring in the punters.
I got the impression that the owners care. Take the next step. The area could do with some good places to eat.
As my old school reports used to say 'could do better'. The rating reflects not a critical mark, more a base to move on from.
Will return to assess progress!!!!!

Chichester, United Kingdom
“Lovely lunch at the Star and Garter.”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Many congratulations to the new landlords Adam and John Standerwick at the Star and Garter. It was a joy to visit today. I was given a lovely warm welcome and enjoyed an excellent lunch at a very fair price. There's a new buzz about the Star and Garter and I look forward to visiting again soon.

@Amanda. Know what you mean. It's safe to try it again :)!

• Visited November 2013
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic relaxed and great food”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We recently went to the star and garter after following a sign that said"pub great food"
Not knowing what to expect we were so pleased. A very warm welcome on a very wet and windy afternoon. We ordered drinks and then food and were shown to a table. It's only a small pub but has a great atmosphere with a mix of locals and visitors. We had the award winning sausages and mash and the venison pie and new potatoes both came with veggies, nothing more to say both were excellent we then had the winter crumble and a baileys bread and butter pudding both with custard, equally delicious the only problem was we could not stay longer. We will defiantly recommend the pub and will be going back!

• Visited October 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Good food but quite pricey”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We joined friends at The Star & Garter for a meal. There were eight of us in total, including two young children and three drivers. We had mains and some desserts, plus two children's meals. The total meal bill for the eight of us was over £25 per head. We all thought that this was pretty steep.

• Visited September 2013
East Preston, United Kingdom
“Not a good experience”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

After a delightful morning in Chichester it was time to think of lunch. Where better than some great choices just over the hill from the Goodwood Estate, The Partridge Inn, The Fox Goes Free & The Star & Garter. Choosing The Star & Garter we were surprised that we were the only people in the Restaurant, one other couple coming in later. Not a good sign!. A friendly welcome, food orders taken promptly and delivered without delay. That was the good part!

My wife's order of fillet of Haddock in crispy Arundel beer batter arrived plated with excess fat dripping on the floor, fortunately not on her clothes! The chips on first sight looked OK but rapidly deteriorated going hard and grey. We were informed that fresh batch of pre prepared chips had been delivered by outside suppliers that morning and the Chef had not noticed any problem until they were returned. Staff were extremely apologetic and removed the order from our Bill.

I would have thought that the prices they were charging for simple food would have included hand cut and double fried chips but obviously not so. Quality is always remembered long after the cost has been forgotten, sadly in this case the cost was remembered as there was no quality to forget.

Hopefully this was a 'one off' problem for them which could easily be fixed by quality control. Unfortunately for us the experience did not give sufficient confidence for a return visit.

• Visited September 2013