“Consistent.......”

Ranked #60 of 250 Restaurants in Chichester
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Another thoroughly enjoyable meal at this hidden gem. Perfectly cooked local fish with seasonal accompaniments in a relaxed, charming country pub. Well worth making a special trip to enjoy the food and service. Looking forward to our next visit already!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I'm heavily involved with business connections in the area and on recommendation I paid my first visit to the star and garter during the Christmas season, was very impressed with the overall feel of the pub! Was greeted by a very friendly, knowledgeable, helpful waitress who seemed in charge and seemed to be able to handle a busy Saturday night alone. We went on to enjoy the evening, and I decided I should bring my family to this wonderful place. Came down late April and were greeted by two very young casually dressed chaps, one in flip flops which seemed thoroughly inappropriate, and one very moody young chap with a tattoo on show which didnt suit the pub or its setting and who was most unfriendly and struggled to raise a warm welcome to my family. After asking were the nice young blonde curly hair lady who looked after me at Christmas was I was told rather abruptly that she no longer works there.
We sat by the fire, and observed what appeared to be the manager completely intoxicated and all over the place which was a real put off! The food and service was below average and a complete contrast to my first visit.
Based on my first visit I decided to give the benefit of doubt and give the pub another go, albeit very hesitant when I walked through the door to see the unfriendly tattooed guy standing at the bar, quite a customer care contrast after leaving goodwood breakfast club.Sadly this recon firmed my terrible second visit, there seemed no organisation or managerial prescence and we decided not to eat as we were told there was a delay in food orders however very few people were eating. We sat in the garden to enjoy the great weather on the most HORRIFIC tables and chairs that looked like we were sitting on canteen rejects furniture.
I will most certainly not be recommending or visiting this place AGAIN! And advise to approach with caution as it is not as adylic as first meets the eye.

2  Thank Peter W
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Lunch today, Bank Holiday Monday, busy, but exemplary service, really comfortable atmosphere, food was excellent. I had crab salad - divine, husband had ham egg and chips, all perfect. Lovely secluded garden, nice décor, will certainly go back when we are in the area

Reviewed 2 March 2014

A great cosy atmosphere to come into from the drizzly Downs. Great food and friendly staff. Had a variety of meals: beef, chicken, duck sausages, fish & chips and pork - only the pork let the side down, being a bit small and with few vegetables. The chicken was absolutely gigantic! Puddings all delicious. Would recommend.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

It was very busy on the Sunday we went, we had to wait at the bar as we were second sitting on our reserved table, but that wasn't a real problem. Starters were fresh and tasty. I think we all had roast, my meat portion size was fine but my Husband found his a little small and asked for extra meat, which was brought without fuss, vegetables and Potato's all fresh and cooked beautifully, will defiantly go again.