“Amazing Service”
Review of The Goodwood Hotel

The Goodwood Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Chichester
Reviewed 1 August 2013

My husband treated me to a night at the Goodwood Hotel as a surprise as I had not been very well. We were greeted by very friendly staff at the reception desk who were extremely helpful and gave us a lot of information about the hotel and dining options. When we arrived at our room it was beautiful. Very clean and well presented. and a great view. We had decided to eat at the Richmond Arms and again were greeted in the bar by a waiter who enquired if we were eating in the restaurant. As the bar was very busy he suggested that we could have out drinks at our table which we did. The whole evening was amazing, the food and service could not have been better. After dinner we had a short walk around the grounds before retiring to bed. A perfects nights sleep and awoke refreshed to the sound of bird song. Breakfast was just as good as dinner with a good selections of foods. We really enjoyed out short time at Goodwood and will certainly be returning.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stay at this hotel every year due to its proximity to the race course.
It's expensive and the service is poor . The menu items for breakfast has been reduced in number as has the room service menu, but the quality of the food and the service has declined from poor to very poor. Unbelievably , if you try to order something cooked at 11pm ( the cut off time) they can't oblige as the fryers have been turned off.
Avoid .

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank jimbo1822
GoodwoodHotelManager, General Manager at The Goodwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Thank you for your review, which as you can imagine I was very disappointed and shocked to read. We receive a large number of compliments about service and food at the Hotel as you can see from other reviews. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience and would be grateful if you could contact me directly at the Hotel.
I look forward to speaking to you.
Sarah Stacey

Reviewed 24 July 2013

...the hotel just misses the mark a little sadly

I booked a night here for my wife's birthday after attending the circuit for a drive day she had (which by the way was awesome!). The website gave it more of an intimate feel than it actually has and, in my view, this hotel is geared towards corporate events or large events such as weddings etc. I understand that the hotel was originally a Marriot, which would explain a lot about the structure itself as it is not the most attractive of buildings once you're inside. That said the Goodwood Estate have done a great job of making the very best out of what they had available when they took over.

I opted for a room upgrade with a terrace which was nothing more than a room with French doors that led outside where there was a table and two chairs. The room itself was tastefully done and the furnishings were good. The cleanliness was OK but when I moved a car ornament on the window sill it was covered in cobwebs (a minor thing but it's all in the detail). The air conditioning was totally ineffective on the hottest weekend of the year and even set at 19 degrees it didn't cool the room at all. When we arrived one of the bedside lamps was not working and one of the lamps at the dressing table was out. We called reception and they said they would send someone but when we got back to the room later nothing had been done. Not the end of the world but all the same. The Goodwood Bar & Grill was very disappointing. We decided to spend the sunny afternoon in the hotel bar out on the terrace but, as someone else has mentioned, at lunchtime it was populated by large groups of noisy golfers and later in the afternoon by lots of children running around from the pool most of whom appeared not to be resident. The Richmond Arms restaurant doesn't have a great deal of ambience and if I'm right about the original builders/owners of the hotel it makes a lot of sense.

That said there are many positives. The staff here are fantastic. All well trained, well presented and attentive. The food here is superb. A+, 5 stars and all the other superlatives you can imagine. The wine list is good and not too extortionate. All in all the Goodwood Estate operation is excellent and I can't say a bad word about it.

Would I go back? Probably not as a couple but if it was a group of us doing something in the local area probably.

1  Thank DTFWilliams
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I decided to treat my better half to a nice weekend away for our 4th wedding anniversary, we had a nice day out at Arundel Castle and then I drove to the hotel. We were both totally surprised by the quality of this place as soon as you drive in the car park you know you have driven into a great hotel.

Our room was immaculate and had good facilities, we got there about 3.30 and decided to have a drink in the bar which overlooks the golf course and the 18 green, it was lovely sitting in the sun in such a nice atmosphere watching the golfers and having a nice drink.

We then had a reservation at the Richmond grill and had an amazing meal, all of the produce is produced locally and they are very proud of this and make a point of mentioning it when you order, I had the lamb which was stunning and my wife the pork belly which equally as great.

All in all this is a fantastic place, the staff cannot do enough for you, we even had breakfast in bed to finish off our nice weekend.

I will definitely return.

2  Thank brettwheeler11
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

Everything was just 'OK' except for the pool which was a huge disappointment. Large number of apparently unsupervised children made it uninhabitable for adults. When I commented to reception they suggested I try after 7pm when the pool becomes adult only. Unfortunately this is not the case as there were several families still using the pool at 8pm. There were screaming children, used towels, paper cups and discarded newspapers around the pool - hardly relaxing. The shower areas were also covered in empty shower gel & shampoo bottles, enormous piles of towels and again far too many children. If you're going to advertise a no-child policy at certain times you must be prepared to enforce it - at no point was a member of staff present to ensure rules were adhered to. Consequently children were in the jacuzzi (not permitted), running and jumping into the pool (not permitted), screaming (not permitted) and in the pool long after 7pm (not permitted). I like kids but this was a little too much! Please, please put some effort into enforcing your own rules!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank SeannTigh
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We did one of the special overnight spa packages. Twin room was clean and nicely decorated. Richmond Bar was nice, lots of staff in attendance for a Monday. They were cleaning up after the Festival of Speed so were out of cream teas and we had to wait for milk to come over from the dairy for coffee! The Richmond Arms was not busy that night so our service was excellent. Ordered scallops then lamb which were all delicious. Good wine, amazing desserts too. Full English breakfast in a busier dining room but still impeccable service. Spa services were nice but mini treatments were just ok, had better. The pedicure was long and luxurious and well worth the extra money. We wanted to go for a walk and were given a map, unfortunately there were so many trucks coming in and out from one of the park gates (festival clean uup) it made for a very polluted walk up the road to find a trail. We now know to avoid that week if we go back again! Overall, a good experience, they are very geared for conferences though.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Ate at the Richmond Arms Restaurant on Sunday whilst attending the Festival of Speed, We were greeted and seated by charming staff and the entire experience was really good and the food delicious even though the restaurant was very very busy, one word is enough to sum this restaurant up-SUPERB!!!!!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rex r
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chichester
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant
Chichester Park Hotel
#5 of 8 in Chichester
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Travelodge Chichester Central

Been to The Goodwood Hotel? Share your experiences!