“Great location for Goodwood” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Goodwood Hotel

The Goodwood Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Chichester
London
“Great location for Goodwood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Given not much competition in the local area staff still strive to give a good hotel experience. Food in the Richmond restaurant is of a good quality and cooked well all be it the menu is a little limited if staying for several nights.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Joined a group of friends to celebrate a birthday, play some golf and enjoy the spa. The aircon in our room didn't work, so we changed rooms only to find the safe was faulty. Couldn't face a second move.
Rooms were ok, but I would have been disappointed if we had paid the full price and not been on the golf deal. The corridors wee also noisy.
House wine was stupidly expensive and the dinner was just ok......our steak had to go back because I could have soled my shoes with it.......and a bargain at £34! We got a discount on the menu because we returned it, but what a shame we had to?
Treatment in the spa was lovely and the beautician very knowledgable, well worth the money.
A fantastic weekend because of the company, but I expected so much more from this venue.

Room Tip: Avoid anything near an exit! We were slap bang next to one and the door was banging until late into...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed for two nights during the racing at Glorious Goodwood and the hotel was fantastic. Service was great and the door to door driver service to the track really made the racing special. The evenings there is plenty of fun to be had with a wonderful bar, both outside and inside and dining at both the Richmond Arms and the Kennels was really good. Would highly recommend it. They also have a great pool and spa by the looks of things but did not get to use it unfortunately.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is an excellent base for any Goodwood activities or just a trip to the coast. We combined the horseraces with Goodwood Breakfast club on the racingtrack. Courtesy shuttle to the horsetrack was very useful - skipping all the queues and taking us door to door. Staff were outstanding; very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Food was excellent, fresh and locally produced. The hotel was very busy so there was a bit of a wait for food (evening and breakfast) and the pool was also busy with families. Not sure this was a typical weekend. Room was spacious, immaculate, comfortable and very quiet. A very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Taunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

After reading the last review I would like to say that this is not somewhere we would consider a 'family' place to come and stay. In fact, our break had been booked on the premise that as it was a little more pricey there wouldn't be children all over the place, wrong! It was a little disappointing as we thought this was more of an adult environment with fine dining and spa facilities, not a great deal for kids to do either. Thankfully the pool had a roped off lane swimming area where you could swim (just) without being dive bombed or have balls thrown at you :)

This was booked for a celebratory weekend for my parents anniversary and we had a lovely time. The food in the Richmond Arms was lovely, the steak, although expensive, was divine. My only criticism would be that as this is a hotel, I would have expected the menu to change a little each evening. We stayed for 3 nights and it was the same each night. To change it round, we spent the last evening in the Brasserie where the food and service is also great.

We were there for the last day of Glorious Goodwood and we used their taxi facilities to get us to and from the event. However, as we were in the Gordon Enclosure they had to make a special trip to drop us off, as they only ever drop people at the Members Enclosure. When we asked about getting a lift back the general manager gave us her card and assured us that she would let them know at reception about the change and that someone would pick us up from there. When we rang at the end of the day we were told this was not possible and we would have to make our way to the Members pick up point, contrary to what we had been told. We didn't mind but earlier in the day we were not allowed through the Members area so we weren't sure we'd be able to get access. Luckily, all the security had disappeared and we were able to get our lift, thankfully.

All in all a good stay but do make sure you check the bill. When the bill came at the end of our visit they were asking for the full amount, which had already been paid back in March. Luckily my Mum had all the details with her and it could be sorted out and they were very apologetic.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I was very much looking forward to spending a few days at the Goodwood Hotel. However from the moment of my arrival right up to the response I received to my written complaint I experienced untrained staff who were discourteous and dismissive.

I telephoned the day before arrival to say I would be arriving early and would be grateful if my family room were ready a little earlier than usual. When I arrived at 1pm the receptionist told me the room would not be ready until 2pm. I asked the receptionist to double-check. Initially she refused. Eventually, after much insistence, she checked and was embarrassed both to discover and admit that the room had indeed been ready since before my arrival. No apology.

I attended the hotel with my children, my sister and her children. The Restaurant Manager refused to put two tables together at breakfast to enable us to eat together as a family. He was happy to do so at dinner. He believed it was important for a family to eat together at dinner but not required at breakfast. His attitude would have appeared too insulting for a Monty Python sketch.

The hotel is pretty from the outside and although labyrinthine inside with many narrow twisting corridors it does have good facilities. In particular I looked forward to swimming with my two young children. However the moment the children touched a lane rope, got out at the wrong end of the pool, or ventured to touch a handrail they were immediately severely reprimanded by the officious attendant/life guard. Happily he was not there on his lunch breaks, tea breaks and in the evening when drowning people need no rescuer. His absences were also the opportunity for those in the pool to relax and not worry about infringing any of the draconian rules rigorously enforced. I do believe whole-heartedly in responsible recreation. But recreation can be endorsed with a smile rather than a rod.

On check-out I asked the receptionist to check the bill as I believed it too high. She insisted it was correct. I still believed she had overcharged me so I asked for someone more senior to check the bill. It was indeed too high and the hotel had to refund me some money. This was delivered with resentment and bitterness and no hint of an apology.

I wrote to the manager about these issues. She was keen to limit the complaint to a phone call but I was sufficiently disappointed that I requested a proper written response. I did eventually receive it. Her response made it very clear that her staff were faultless and there was no problem. That, I believe, is precisely why the staff at this hotel just don't care: they simply don't have to.

I would never return. The staff make it clear that you are an inconvenience to them conducting their jobs. There are plenty of hotels in the area who do care about service and I would strongly advise families at least to find a more family-friendly hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank F B
GoodwoodHotelManager, General Manager at The Goodwood Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
I am sorry to read your review of the hotel following your stay with us in January. I am the new General Manager of the hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss the correspondence you had with Jane and the issues you experienced during your stay. Please can I ask that you contact me either by email at saskia.droz@goodwood.com or by telephone on 01243 775537.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Saskia V. Droz
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Could not fault our stay at the Goodwood Hotel. Just perfect for a special occassion or just a weekend break. Location, Hotel Staff and accomodation were everything we could have wished for. Loved it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chichester
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant
Chichester Park Hotel
#7 of 9 in Chichester
Park House Hotel & Spa
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa

Been to The Goodwood Hotel? Share your experiences!