“My 3 night stay at Chichester Park Hotel”

Chichester Park Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Chichester
Reviewed 3 October 2012

I found this hotel online and my first opinion was that it was reasonably priced and good location in Chicheseter. However I was very disappointed. I arrived with my friend in the afternoon and the first thing that hits you is the smell of strong CHLORINE from the swimming pool which is located in the Reception area! Not only can you see in to it but the heat was also evident from the pool, apart from the awful smell. The restaurant is located in the Reception area as well, so you can smell the chlorine in there as well!

The rooms we were given were not very clean (all the drawers were dusty and I had to wash them out so I could put my clothes away). The car park at the back was right on top of the hotel so if you had a ground floor room, you would literally be looking right in at the driver who was parked there and he or she could see right into your room!

You can hear people snoring from the next room and any kind of noise as well.

We were on the first floor but it was extremely noisy with vans being unloaded at the back at all times and also the noise of an extractor constantly going at the back, which must have been for the swimming pool! Scant toiletries in the bathroom and no flannel. The towells were old and worn but clean but I had one with black marks on it. The toilet paper was not replaced the next day, nor were the tissues and I had to ask for them.

The bar area had loud TV on showing football everynight. In the morning at breakfast, we were sat at a dirty table full of crumbs. When I asked the waiter to clean it, he picked up my paper napkin and brushed all the crumbs into my lap, giving me a dirtly look and then took the napkin away and did not replace it. The breakfast was a buffet type and all the food was greasy and cold.

My friend had a kettle in his room that did not work and when he told reception, they brought him another one, which also did not work!!

When we went to pay at the end of our stay, they could not find our booking and were wanting to charge the wrong price, not the discounted rate we had been given.

Needless to say I would NEVER stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Susanna S

Reviewed 21 September 2012

Staying in yet another budget hotel for a week of work - you know the type they are all so alike you have to check your sat-nav to remember where you are - so the thought of a week in the Chichester park Hotel did not fill me with joy. On checking in, the place was tidy albeit a little run down but hey its a budget hotel right, so get on with it. I only became aware of the real difference when I started asking the staff questions. Many hotels say they have friendly and welcoming staff but in my experience this is not always the case. In the Park Hotel, they listened and solved any problems rather than the "sorry we can't" that often seems to be the default response these days. For example the wi-fi (admittedly not free - think about changing that to get the 5 stars!!) came in packages, 1 day, 3 days, 1 week. I needed 4 nights (a must) so they charged me the 3 day rate for the week code. I have two devices - then have two codes sir for the price of one - thank you. Not rocket science but really helpful and nice to find. One night we (there were 5 of us) were in the depths of a conference so the bar manager came over to take out order as the bar was not otherwise busy. How many times have we all sat there and watched the bored bar staff who seems unable to think that perhaps the busy chaps in his bar might be thirsty! Anyway in short cheap hotel with staff above the common herd. (Ps you did manage to miss my early morning call on the last day so don't slap too many backs just yet!).

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Gavin C
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Stayed here at short notice for business last week. Was considerably cheaper than similar hotels in the area. Room was a good size and perfectly adequate for my needs. Food in the restaurant for my evening meal was extremely nice and very reasonably priced for a hotel meal. Staff were all friendly and very accommodating. Bar drinks were the going rate for drinks in the area. If I have cause to visit this area agaain, I will have no hesitation in checking this hotel out first. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Stayed in this hotel for one night during a business trip. Hotel looks pleasant from the outside but rooms are noisy, decor and furnishings are out dated, and staff (when you can find them are unhelpful! Odd bits of furniture make it look like a second hand shop and thread bare carpets do nothing to add to this opinion.
I tried to contact reception in the early morning when the shower did not work only to find reception un-manned and the contact phone was un plugged!
Although I would not have stayed here again, when I looked to find another hotel for my next visit to Chichester this hotel came up on the list. AT A PRICE OF £175 as it was Goodwood Revival weekend. That is a huge and greedy mark up on the £65 I paid when I stayed. I chose another hotel for £85 and it was fabulous, warm and welcoming. Would I stay here at this hotel again? No, would rather sleep in my car!

Room Tip: Look for another hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Where to start.. I stayed at the hotel for x 1 night a few weeks ago with our 13 year old son and my husband. it was convienient following our attendance at a funeral.
the decor is outdated in the bedrooms, kind of alpine veneered pine /late 70s style meets Alan Partridge. The beds were comfortable so thats a plus.. Breakfast was served with a scowl and we ordered toast several times and it failed to appear until we asked a fourth.. They were busy with coach parties who had all the best seats by the window ..we were consigned to the table nearest the door. Breakfast was average ... no continetal option... (that we could see)
I would completLy forget booking a spa break if you have a vision of lounging by the pool ..there is x 1 plastic chair that I clocked to sit on and no reclining ones by the poolside.. quite ridiculous... Our room was reached on the 1st floor at a point quite a way from the pool... I did not take a towel with me to the spa asuming there would be one there ... you access the spa via reception... I aksed for a towel at reception .. the response was sharp and a no..it was expected that I trudge back to my room and collect the towel left by my 13 year old in a damp heap on the floor..ie use your bedroom towels... I have arthritis , and grimaced at the thought, so decided to take my chances and go back to my room with wet cossie and my wrap ... I think that there should be warning in the rooms this is the expectation ... I was not happy!
To summarise , this hotel is a drive from the centre .. close to the harvester, which is almost in the grounds ... nearest attraction is the cemetry , its over priced and they need to do more work on thier hospitality, updating the rooms and smiling. AVOID!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We stay at the Chichester park Hotel for one night, as we were on a MG run ,on the sunday.
The room was good, we slept very well. They also have a swimming pool & spa.
We had treatments, that was very good.Like facial & massages.
We went round the shops, & the cathedral & theatre was near by.
The food in the Hotel was very good.

Room Tip: Ground floor was the best for us.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights with our 16 year old son. First of all, I must say I was very impressed with our family room - it was very large and had a double bed and TWO twin beds. It made a nice change for our son to have a 'proper' bed rather than a put-u-up! The room was clean and had just been newly decorated. The hotel has a lovely pool which my husband and son used - I didn't go in but did enjoy having a pedicure in the beauty salon!
Now to the food - we came down on the second morning at 9.30am to find a very small selection of fresh fruit left and not very much hot food - the eggs were cold and over cooked with solid yolks. Not acceptable as they serve until 10am. Admittedly we were the only guests in the dining room apart from one couple. However we should still have had the full range of breakfast options and it should have been fresh - not cooked earlier and left for ages in a heated container. The breakfasts were slightly better on the other days but still not great. We all agreed that the sausages were cheap and horrible! We also ate in the evenings at the hotel and this was a very different experience - generally the food was pretty good, say 7/10. A good choice of starters, mains and some lovely puddings. The attitude of the staff was helpful and pleasant. So to sum up - a pleasant stay in nice surrounding but let down by poor breakfasts.

• Stayed: August 2012